5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible piece of technology, October 26, 2012
This review is from: Motorola DROID RAZR MAXX HD (Verizon Wireless) (Wireless Phone)
This smart phone has jaw dropping ability and performance.

Being from the bay area, most people in my age group have iPhones. Personally, I have had 2 droids and an HTC windows phone since smart phones started to be the norm. Each phone that I've owned was decent enough relative to it's peers and pretty close to the top technology of the time. This not only blows the old technology away, in an objective world it would dominate all other options. In fact, the more I show apple fanatics, the more I see that hesitation that comes with wondering if your iphone is really the cool thing anymore.

The phone is thin, even with the extended battery I think most people would be hard pressed to notice the difference between this and the thinnist smartphones unless they were actively measuring or comparing. In everyday use there isn't a difference in your pocket between 7mm and 9mm.

Obviously the battery is the main selling point for the MAXX but it delivers as promised. I easily got 2 full days of moderate to heavy mixed use without a charge, including the standard constant tinkering when you get a new toy, lots of internet, streaming music and video, navigation, bluetooth, and talk time mixed in.

HD Display is amazing. When combined with the large screen size it seems less ridiculous to actually watch television, movies, games, or whatever else you like. I can definitely see myself downloading a movie to watch on a long car or plane ride without any loss in visual fidelity. a 4.7inch 720p screen 24 inches from your face is every bit as enjoyable as a 50inch 1080p on the other side of the room.

The camera rear facing camera is as good as it seems to be possible to cram into a phone. The software is ok and the picture quality is good enough for most things short of serious hobbyists and professionals. The lack of a physical camera button is annoying for both launching the app and taking pictures but I will get over it.

This is more of a general Motorola Droid thing, but Smart Actions is an incredible app. It allows you to set up automatice settings changes based on various triggers. Want your phone to be silent or vibrate only at work? just tell it your work address and when you get there, it switches the volume settings and whatever else you like. Want to turn off the ringer after 10pm? give it a time related setting that expires at 6am and only allows calls from your selected "VIP" phone numbers during that time. Tired of wasting battery connected to 3G/4G when you're using Wifi anyway? set it to disable data connection when you have a wifi connection. The app is built in, very easy to use, and has endless possibilities.

There is also the near field communication technology. I have haven't used it yet, but pay by phone, and the NFC transfer (popularized by the samsung galaxy commercials) also appear to be available here.

Oh yeah, with the gorilla glass and kevlar, it looks nice too. Update: I officially had my first drop of the phone from just below waist level out in the city. I had a little jolt of panic since I don't have a case on it yet, but I couldn't find a blemish (probably a decent amount of luck involved too).

Seriously, unless you are very very concerned with taking near magazine quality pictures, this is your phone.

If you're looking for the right vehicle dock it is here Motorola HD Vehicle Navigation Dock for Motorola DROID RAZR HD/RAZR MAXX HD - Retail Packaging

This poorly rated dock is the one verizon is selling for this phone: Motorola Flip Stand with Smart Desktop Charger - Retail Packaging

Update 10/30/12:
Being that this is a phone--a quick word on the call quality after about a week of use. It is excellent. The incoming voices are clear and others can't really tell I'm on a cell phone. The bluetooth was easy to set up as well.

The one and only downside for me to this point is the lack of accessories. I haven't purchased a phone at launch before so this may be the norm but Otterbox cases, higher quality screen protectors and such aren't really available yet. Although, as far as screen protectors there is no reason you can't use the ones marketed for the "RAZR HD" since the screen has the same footprint.

Update 11/26/12: The Otterbox cases are now available:
OtterBox 77-22902 Defender Series Case for Motorola RAZR MAXX HD - 1 Pack - Retail Packaging - Black
OtterBox 77-22896 Commuter Series Case for Motorola RAZR MAXX HD - 1 Pack - Retail Packaging - Black
these are also available in a red/black and white/grey version.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 30, 2012 8:14:21 AM PDT
Gary L. Hall says:
The professional review that I found to be most accurate was on CNET.

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 8:25:28 AM PDT
T. Dog says:
Just FYI, you can get the Screen Protectors from a Verizon store, and they also have a Silicone Case you can buy until Otterbox releases their case. I bought one just so I have some protection until the Otterbox is available.

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 6:10:15 AM PST
Great Review. Thank you for going to the time to write it.
How is the phone in terms of Texting? I've never had a touch screen phone.
thank you.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 10:06:10 AM PST
Gary L. Hall says:
Good question. This was my first phone without a physical keyboard as well. So far I've been surprisingly happy with the virtual keyboard. It took a week or so to get comfortable but now it is a breeze. The autocorrect is pretty good at figuring out which letter/word you were trying to hit instead of just letting you type gibberish. The down side is that it sometimes tries to correct jargon, slang, and the less common text abbreviations. After the acclimation period I am back to texting at the same speed as a physical qwerty. I've had a couple laughs at the autocorrect but it has not been a problem at all.

Posted on Dec 10, 2012 11:18:14 PM PST
Kenny Y says:
May i asked is this device unlocked? I'm travel a lot to Asian country and can this device use local Asian GSM carrier?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 12:46:46 PM PST
psychnut22 says:
Otterbox is now available. you guys probably know this already but wanted to get it out there anyway.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2013 11:24:28 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 12, 2013 11:26:16 AM PST
Ryan Church says:
Great review Gary, I appreciate it. This was and still is one of the deciding factors in my choosing to get this phone; some real world experience. (I say still is, b/c I haven't had time to stop at the store and get the phone yet haha)

Three questions for you.

1. So you say that the rear camera is pretty good. Can it take a good high quality picture of something and capture all the colors well? I ask because the camera tends to be one of the biggest criticisms of this one during the reviews I've seen.

Second, how is the playback quality of music through the headphone jack? I've heard mixed reviews about this, but mostly negative ones. (some say there is hissing, others say the music sounds low quality, etc). Not sure what quality of music these people had loaded onto the phone, but I'm just wondering if you have any experience (good or bad) with that. I ask because one reason I'm getting this device is to load my music onto it and eliminate the need for an ipod.

Finally, I'm wondering if you have used any of the navigation tools on it, and if so, are there more than 1 and do they work well? (vz navigator, maybe google maps, etc). Does vz navigator cost money for this phone?

Thanks for doing this whole review, it's been very helpful.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2013 4:48:00 PM PST
Gary L. Hall says:
Ill take a picture of something appropriate in the coming days but the camera deficiencies are what I expect from a phone camera. Without knowing all the technical terms: it doesn't do very well if the light isn't correct. The images are grainy in the dark and shadowed if the light is anywhere but behind the camera.

As far as the headphones, I use them to listen to pandora mostly. From my experience the quality of the music file and headphones has many times more impact on the sound quality than the phone itself. I do consider myself somewhat of an audiophile and was happy when I bought better ear buds. Same thing with pandora, updating to pandora one made a difference as well. I also listen to podcasts and make calls through a blue tooth headset. The first blutooth headset with this phone was a very old one and it was pretty terrible. When I upgraded to a new motorola headset the clarity improved on both music, podcasts, and calls. In short, I doubt the complaints on sound quality are solely related to the phone. That being said, it's a jack of all trades, so sound quality isn't its primary goal. If you are a person that can't tell the difference between an mp3 and lossless file format, the sound is adequate.

As for navigation, I purchased the vehicle dock accessory and use the google maps navigation functions. I think it really is one of the best reasons to buy an android phone. It easily stands up against my Father's Garmin other than being a slightly smaller viewable area. In vehicle mode you can also just opt to show a live map that marks your location, shows traffic within a few miles, and gives you a compass direction and approximate speed. In navigation mode you can have the map show gas stations, traffic, atms, and other important locations. I don't use the voice commands as much as I could, but they seem good when I've tried it. The turn by turn directions voice is pleasant and gives plenty of notice.

Hope this help. Again, I'll post a picture soon.

Posted on Jan 21, 2013 10:22:28 AM PST
Book buyer says:

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2013 4:29:02 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 21, 2013 4:31:53 PM PST
Ryan Church says:
First off, thanks Gary. that further feedback is helpful. I meant to reply earlier... but ever time I got on, it wouldn't let me see the comments for whatever reason.

Secondly, to book buyer- I think you may be missing a first sentence, or just the word buyer. Unless you're calling Gary an Android, haha.
I'm trying to be informed and confident of my decision of the razr maxx hd- why do you say the iphone 5 is better?
I'm just curious, since I like different perspectives.

Is it the storage size? I think the maxx wins that.... and the 64 gb iphones cost way more than the maxx in that regard.
Prices? Droid again.
Camera? That would probably be the iphone.
Processor speed?- Apple never releases the specs on their processor, so I don't know. From my half hour trial of the phone at the vzw store, it seemed quick to me.
Third party app availability?- Droids.

It may seem that I'm set on a maxx, but I'm really not completely. I was one of those kids that bought himself an itouch growing up, and was always used to the apple ecosystem. We're talking back to like the late 1.0 firmware and the 1st gen itouch here. Its been a few years lol.

I've always used itunes, bought apps from the store, bought music from the store, etc. The other thing though was I began to jailbreak my ipod around the mid 2's firmware, to get more options and customization abilities for myself. NOT to pirate things, just cause I could do more cool stuff (that apple eventually incorporated into their own firmware.....)

All that to say that I'm quite used to apple... and the more they try to maintain a monopoly on this market, the more I've gotten tired of it. So, I'm looking for new options.
What can you tell me about the iphone 5 that is much better than the maxx? Some things wont matter much to me, but it would be nice to know.

Thanks