3.0 out of 5 stars It gets better, but still not great, June 1, 2010
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: NIER - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
Playing this game was a rather different experience for me. When the first part of the game ended, I was praying that it was actually the end of the game, because quite frankly, I just wanted it to be over. I found the combat bland, the graphics average at best, the sidequests were ridiculously bad, and story was weak.

However, the second half of the game was much better. First, the story got MUCH better, even moving at some parts (Emil and Kaine were great characters). Perhaps more important for the overall enjoyment of the game, the combat got more fun once I was able to upgrade my weapons and my magic spells to satisfying levels. The sidequests were still horrible (well, the fishing was kind of cool), but the more enjoyable combat made them tolerable.

I had two main problems with the game. First, I love RPGs, but this game felt like an RPG that the developer went out of their way to make it less RPG-ish. Leveling up made you more powerful, but you didn't have the opportunity to tune your character by spending XP on specific stats or anything like that. You could use "words" to upgrade your weapons and spells, but it felt pretty generic. As a matter of fact, I played through the entire game with only the first two spells that we were granted. I tried the others, but never really found anything special about them in relation to the first two. So in general, it looks like an RPG, but it really didn't play like one, which was a disappointment to me.

The second problem was the save system. In some cases, it was downright sadistic. A couple of times I had to waste over an hour of progress because I had to quit, and there was no save point in sight. Just be sure to get comfortable and have a large block of time before you enter the Barren Temple for the first time!

Had the game ended when I initially wanted it to, I would have given it a 1-star rating. However, it got much better, and I ended up enjoying it. It's not great, but it's pretty good. If you get it, just be prepared to get through a very slow start.

[Add comment]