Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

3.0 out of 5 stars Low light performance? I'll just keep my T3i, July 3, 2012
This review is from: Canon EOS Rebel T4i DSLR (Body Only) (OLD MODEL) (Electronics)
I wanted to love the T4i and bought one as soon as it was made available. Most of the new features of the T4i are for "point-n-shooters" who want the camera to do all the thinking for them (there's nothing wrong with that); However, I shoot manual most of the time so these features are not a selling point for me.

The touch screen was nice and so was the swipe & pinch-to-zoom feature for reviewing your photos, the "tilty swively" feature is also a great carryover from the T3i. I agree with another reviewer that mentioned the shutter sound has a more "professional" feel to it. I really liked the 5fps, it is a significant step up from 3.7fps; however, the buffer size was not increased accordingly so the camera can take 5-6 RAW images before the cache is full and needs to clear out. Once the cache is full it takes about 5-7 seconds to clear; This was using a 32Gb Sandisk Class 10 (35Mb/s) SD card. Sports shooters might want to think about this one.

I usually only use the center focus point and recompose my shot, so I don't really need all the hybrid focus points, though you will definitely appreciate them if you shoot anything in motion and/or you leave it to the camera to determine the focus point.

So why did I return the T4i and decide to stick with my T3i? It all has to do with the improvements (of lack thereof) that actually matter at the end of the day (for me). The biggest let down was that the T4i does not perform any better in low light than the T3i. Yes, it has a new Digic5 and higher ISO capability, but in reality the T4i and T3i are equally noisy at each ISO level over 400, and at 12800 the T4i's images are so noisy that I didn't know if I should laugh or cry...it is a huge let down :-(

I was really hoping that this ONE area would be improved upon by the new Digic5 (heck I would trade in all the other new features for this one alone), but I guess it was too much to hope for. If you shoot weddings, events, indoor sports, or anything where the lighting is not optimal, you can save yourself a few dollars and go with a T3i, they are aesthetically identical and feel the same in your hand. I was trying to avoid forking out the money for a full frame body, but I guess I'm going to have to...gulp!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 7 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 65 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 3, 2012 3:16:52 PM PDT
R. Carr says:
I'm also considering the t3i vs the t4i and while your review is good, it doesn't consider the video options. Isn't the focussing on the t4i, and the Digic5, much better than the t3i for shooting video? It seems if video is important to you then the t4i might be worth it, but if you're a knowledgable photographer that only cares about stills then the t4i is really no better than t3i, agreed?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 3, 2012 4:55:43 PM PDT
Art P says:
That is correct, I am more concerned about the photography. You are also right to say the focusing is better; I did try the video before I returned it (mainly out of curiosity) and was quite impressed with the whole focus-while-recording feature (does not exist in the T3i). The T4i did a lot of "hunting" around trying to get good focus so if you plan on chasing a 2 year old while recording good luck! I will say that I used a regular photo lens and not an STM lens, but I just can't see see how the focusing can keep up with moving objects other than snails or turtles! It is still too new a technology and I'm sure the T5i (?) will be much better at it. If you truly want good focus you'll want to use a loupe + manual focusing, you can do this on the T3i but then you are getting out of the point-and-shoot category. Hope this helps!

Posted on Jul 3, 2012 6:07:47 PM PDT
K. Shapiro says:
Sorry it didn't work out for you. The consensus seems to be low light capabilities are significantly improved over the DIGIC 5. I will be ordering the t4i.

Posted on Jul 3, 2012 7:23:07 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 3, 2012 7:27:16 PM PDT
Avid Reader says:
Thanks Arturo, good tip on the buffer-I hadn't noticed that. One second of shooting and then wait 5-7 seconds before you can use the camera again? Why get a dslr?

I am curious about your low light comments & the possible need to go full frame. If you're monitoring this, can you tell us what lens you tried the camera with? I shoot with a T2i sometimes and get pretty good low light shots (for a modestly priced dslr camera). BUT, I shoot almost exclusively with prime lens so a lot of my shots are at f/1.8, f2.0, etc. So I'm curious what you're using.

Thanks for the review & take care, Sk

PS: I definitely agree with you about going much over 400iso on the rebels. I max out at about 800 & I use that only when I have to..

Posted on Jul 3, 2012 8:15:27 PM PDT
Briago Moore says:
Thank you for your straight forward review. What you wrote is great. However, why the three star rating?

Your review talked positive about many new features which may not be useful for you, but you advised that they are improvements, and will be good for many. The only negative was that low light was no better than the T3i. I don't see that as a negative, just failing to be an improvement.

So, therefor I ask why 3 stars? Is it only because you already own a T3i? If so that is unfair to the product which should be rated on its own. It is up to DSLR owners to decide if the features are worth the upgrade.

To everyone shopping for DSLR (or any electronics): You don't have to upgrade just because a new version is released! I will be upgrading from an XTi. The T4i will be a huge upgrade with great benefits (including simply supporting video, much less auto focus during video) and without question will be worth the money. Wait until the feature list is worth the cost for you. Don't just go blindly purchasing new cameras, just to complain that there aren't enough improvements and then return it as though it was defective!

They don't create new versions of products to require you to upgrade. They create new versions so that when you go to upgrade, the product available has the latest features in it. In each step the change may be small, but after a couple steps the change is significant. Think before you buy!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 3, 2012 11:25:06 PM PDT
S. Khanna says:
I find the author's review helpful - I do not even have an SLR and I feel that this review helps me decide that getting the T3i or T4i might not be too much of a difference feature/performance wise. Hey if it helps me decide that the T4i is still not helpful for sport like scenes, or that the T3i and T4i perform similarly and therefore why waste the extra couple of hundred bucks - I think its a helpful review.

Thanks for calling what you did Arturo!.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 4, 2012 5:23:10 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 4, 2012 5:26:10 AM PDT
Briago Moore says:
S Khanna,
That is fine if you truely never plan to use video mode. But with DSLRs you tend to want to do more once you own it. If you decide to record video later, you very well may wish to have the auto focus feature during video recording. So please think it though a little more, and don't base your decision on one review. I agree that the review has good points, but the review only says that you may not get better ISO performance. There are many other features that this camera has improved over the T3i.
The biggest improvement related to sports photography is the 9 point cross type focus system as apposed to the T3i's single center point cross type focus. It is actually improved beyond the 60D because it also uses the new hybrid focus so it includes the focus method used in point-n-shoot cameras that gives faster rough focusing, and thne uses the 9 point system for fine tuning. This is great for servo mode in sports to track movement and to be in focus already when you go to take the shot. The reviewer talks about using the single focus point, which is likely because the previous Rebel line only had cross type in the center. If he would try all the points or use the servo mode he may find that it works even better and faster.

The T3i is the best option for some people, I agree. But please don't jump to think that the cheapest is the best or you could regret it later.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 4, 2012 5:26:49 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 31, 2012 4:37:59 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 4, 2012 6:58:47 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 4, 2012 7:07:16 AM PDT
Art P says:
Avid Reader, I used my nifty fifty. Great lens! The T2i is a great camera, low light performance will be very similar but you gain the newer features introduced in the T3i & T4i. Overall the sensor is pretty much the same. My low light needs are mainly for shooting events (i.e. weddings); I can be more tolerant of noise if they were personal pics but not when I am shooting for someone else. I was hoping the T4i would let me shoot in the 1600-3200 range with "acceptable" noise levels but this is where the deal breaker came (for me).

Briago Moore, I agree. If you are more inclined towards video please read other reviews that are centered on that feature. My review is based on MY needs, which may be different from yours. The T4i does pack a punch when it comes to video; however, that is not something I use/need at this time.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 4, 2012 7:04:51 AM PDT