4.0 out of 5 stars Fun and immersive, but flawed and a bit impractical, February 24, 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: PlayStation Move Sharp Shooter (Video Game)
** att: lazy people, scroll to the bottom for a Pros/Cons breakdown :) **

I've used this through two full campaigns of Killzone 3 ("Already?!" yep.)

The gun itself is made of a high-quality ABS plastic. There is no creaking or bending of any kind. It's a really well-constructed accessory, externally. There is a little bit of stock wobble but it goes unnoticed during play. The Move controller fits snug and tightly in it's housing. It's vibration function can be felt strongly throughout the controller without buzzing or rattling, which is surprising. In terms of build, the one thing I wish they'd improved is the navigation controller foregrip. It doesn't fit in as snuggly as the Move controller, so there is a tiny bit of movement and play there.

Playing through the first time in 3D with the SharpShooter while on my feet provided a level of immerson that I've never experienced before. And it is absolutely, without a doubt, an "experience." For me personally, it made the campaign a lot more satisfying. It's one of the most fun gaming moments I've ever had, I can't say enough about it.

That's not to say the experience was perfect. Having used the Move and Nav controller extensively in MAG, RE5, and then the KZ3 beta, I'll say using the system with the SharpShooter is actually a whole different animal. It took me a few hours to get used to this new kind of play in terms of targeting and navigation of the levels, though certainly not a fault of the controller, of course. It took quite a while to calibrate the sharpshooter initally and adjust the settings to where I felt they were perfect (I've found that my SharpShooter settings are much different than my regular Move settings). And still it takes 2-4 tries to calibrate to get it right. It's only a minute or two, but it's something that takes seconds with just the Move and Nav. But once it's dialed in, it's accuracy in unparalleled (but that's due the move controller itself).

There are a couple of other things that irked me during the game. The main issue for me is that after some cutsenes, I would have to recalibrate the controller. I get to a cutsene and, when going back in play mode, my reticle would be off. Just an inch or so, but enough to be annoying. This happened twice during both my 1st and 2nd play-throughs at different times. I've just sat through an incredible action-packed cinema and I'm ready to get back in their and kick some [donkey] only to have to stop and recalibrate. It's not enought to ruin the whole deal, but it's understandably a little frustrating when it happens.

Secondly, and this is probably just me, I think the pump-action reload function is a little too sensitive. You only need to move it back 1/3 if the way before it engages the reload animation. There were times when I'd be in a heavy fire fight and I'm trying to return fire to an enemy when I'd accidently trigger the reload animation and get lit up and killed. Since I much prefer to slap the button on the magazine to reload, It'd be nice if you could turn that function off.

Despite some of the minor flaws it may have, the SharpShooter made the campaign a much richer and rewarding affair. I can say that I'll only used the SharpShooter during campaign replays.

Now, I'm a strong supporter of the Move for competitive multiplayer. For me it's a much better way to play. It's accuracy is phenomenal. It greatly outperforms the DualShock, in my opinion. I haven't played much of KZ3 multiplayer yet, but when the Beta ended, my K/D ratio was over 2:1 with anywhere from 40-60 kills per warzone match. I love it. Having said that, the SharpShooter is more than a little impractical for competitive online play. Using it to play against Veteran or Elite difficulty AI "bots" in the campaign is one thing, but using it to navigate new maps against human players is something completely different. Though once I familiarize myself with the new maps' geography, I'll give it another try.

So quick break down:

** Too lazy to read the whole review? PROS / CONS: **

PROS:
* Very well contructed.
* Incredibly accurate.
* Helps provide previously unexperienced levels of immersion.
* Tons of fun to play with.
* Works well with MAG. (though pump-action & magazine reload buttons don't work)
* Works okay with Resident Evil 5.
* Works great with Dead Space Extraction.

CONS:
* Can take a couple minutes to calibrate perfectly
* May need recalibration during game.
* Nav Controller foregrip makes it easy to accidentally reload.
* Impractical for multiplayer.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 27, 2011 3:54:12 PM PST
G. carlin says:
the one thing i was wondering about using the sharpshooter is how do you make quick turns or do a 180 degree turn?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2011 12:28:09 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 28, 2011 12:37:47 PM PST
Brisco says:
You just move the controller left or right. The farther and quicker you move in a particular direction, the faster you turn. When I use the Sharp Shooter I set the vertical and horizontal dead zones to 10% and 0%, respectively. So it's faster and the reticle stays around the center of the screen.

It'll take some getting used to when performing really quick turn arounds.

Posted on Mar 2, 2011 1:37:41 AM PST
Jeff Perdue says:
Why is it impractical for multiplayer?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2011 1:57:10 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 2, 2011 1:57:58 AM PST
Brisco says:
For one thing, it's actually faster to target opposing players with just the move controls, even though the accuracy with the Sharp Shooter and regular Move controls is the same. And that definitely that gives you the advantage for the faster style of play in multiplayer as opposed to the more deliberate pacing of the single player campaign which allows you use of a cover system. Part of the quickness come from just the general ease of use of the standard Move setup. My analogy is that it's probably faster for someone to shoot a laser pointer at a target than something like, say, a paintball gun or what have you. The standard Move setup also allows you to play more comfortably and in a relaxed seated position for a much longer period of time than using the Sharp Shooter which can eventually give you some arm fatigue.

The Sharp Shooter randomly needs to be re-calibrated occasionally as well, this would be really inconvenient in the middle of a match.

There are a couple others but I'm too tired to think right now.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2011 9:46:27 AM PST
Zardoz says:
This is exactly my experience as well. In mutliplayer, the ability to make quick, accurate turns is more important than in single player. The sharpshooter adds a fair amount of weight to the controller, so I think that in itself makes turning a bit more difficult. You're dealing with the extra momentum of the gun housing, compared to a quick flick of the wrist of the move alone.

Another thing that people don't mention a lot is that you also use your other hand to help you aim too, since it's holding onto the navigation controller. This can help you steady your aim, so that's a plus, but it's a little more complicated to involve two hands into the turning mechanism.

I play with the sharpshooter at my hip and sitting down to maximize comfort. My left elbow rests on my thigh, and I use that almost like a pivot. You can hold it up and aim down the barrel for a more realistic feel, but this isn't practical for long play sessions because you'll get fatigued easily.

My settings are 0 horizontal deadzone / 40 vertical deadzone / 0 sensitivity / 80 turn speed / no assists. I find that 0 sensitivity helps a lot with aim steadiness, and since I don't aim down the barrel, I don't have to have the reticule match down the sites of the sharpshooter. When you have it down at your hip, it's a little like using an air mouse with a trigger. You still get the feeling of firing a gun, though. Just pretend you're like Arnie in Commando when he's shooting people from the hip all the time.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›