5.0 out of 5 stars A beautifully written account of personal discovery, January 4, 2009
This review is from: Losing My Religion: How I Lost My Faith Reporting on Religion in America and Found Unexpected Peace (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've just finished reading three books on a common theme: losing one's (Christian) religion and becoming an atheist. All three are excellent, but each approaches the topic from a very different perspective. I thought I might review them all together, and post the combined review on each book at Amazon. I don't know if this is consistent with the Amazon review policy, but never mind.

The first book is Godless: How an Evangelical Preacher Became One of America's Leading Atheists by Dan Barker. I was slightly put off by the subtitle: "How an evangelical preacher became one of America's leading atheists." After all, one of the key points about atheism - and one that we have to keep reminding theists about - is that atheism is not an organized body of belief, it's no more a religion than "bald" is a hair colour. So how can anyone be a "leading atheist"? Who's being led? However if one substitutes "prominent" or "influential" for "leading", we can let that pass. And Barker is certainly influential: he's co-president of the Freedom From Religion Foundation, which is one of the most active groups working to uphold the Constitutional prohibition on church-state entanglement, and seeking to counteract the negative image of atheism in this country.

The second book that I considered was William Lobdell's Losing My Religion: How I Lost My Faith Reporting on Religion in America-and Found Unexpected Peace. Lobdell is an award-winning journalist who covered religion for the Los Angeles Times. After writing about many aspects of religion for many years, he finally decided to write about his own journey.

The last volume in this trilogy was Why I Became an Atheist: A Former Preacher Rejects Christianity, by John Loftus. Like Barker, Loftus was also an evangelical preacher, but although the arc of his experience was similar to Barker's, the result is a very different kind of book.

Let me begin by saying that each of these books is really good, and deserves a place in the library of anyone who is interested in the contemporary debate between religion and atheism. I hesitate to rank them, or recommend one over another; nevertheless I find myself compelled to do so. Of the three, Lobdell's "Losing My Religion" is the most essential, for two reasons. First, he is an excellent writer, and his prose is simply a delight to read. Secondly, he concentrates on his personal experience in a way that I haven't encountered before in books by atheists. Both Loftus and Barker set out to tell their story and argue their case, albeit in different ways, and each draws on writers as diverse as Dennett, Wells, Price, Martin, Shermer, Carrier and Nielsen in setting forth their arguments. Lobdell just wants to recount his own story, and what he has learned from it. He's not interested in converting anyone, or scoring debating points. As he writes, "To borrow Buddha's analogy, I've just spent eight years crossing a river in a raft of my own construction, and now I'm standing on a new shore. My raft was made not of dharma, like Buddhism's, but of things I gathered along the way: knowledge, maturity, humility, critical thinking and the willingness to face the world as it is, and not how I wish it to be. I don't knopw what the future holds in this new land. I don't see myself crossing the river back to Christianity... [or] adopting a new religion. My disbelief in a personal God now seems cemented to my soul. Other kinds of spirituality seem equally improbable. Besides, I like my life on this unexplored shore."

For Lobdell, the thing which provoked his crisis of faith was people: the yawning gulf between the ideals of a religion and the lives of those who practice and - especially - lead it. The horrific abuse of young people by Catholic priests, and the way it was covered up, refutes the claims of religion in many different ways. In particular, it challenges believers to justify theodicy (the "problem of evil"), as well as the Dostoievskian idea of religion as a bastion against the chaos of amorality. In contrast, for Barker and Loftus, the unravelling of their fundamentalist faiths was due to ideas: to the incoherence of religious dogma, and its incompatibility with science and reason.

Both Loftus and Barker were preachers. There are many distinct aspects to being a preacher: the performance artist, leading a collective act of worship; the scribe and teacher, explaining and interpreting the texts and practices of the faith; and the counsellor and confessor. All of these roles have roots in the shamanic and magical. As a believer, Barker was a performance artist, and he remains so in his newly found unbelief. He encourages the closeted skeptic, and fights fiercely for the rights of the non-religious. Loftus is a scribe: the apologist, the teacher. He was the defender of faith against its critics, and with the detailed knowledge that he acquired in this role, he has become the sharpest critic of religious apology.. Each of their books reflects the way that they interpreted the role of preacher.

Both Barker and Loftus seek to encourage those who seek affirmation of their skepticism or unbelief. Barker concentrates on the emotional, the social: "you are not alone", "you are not a bad person". Loftus focuses on the ideas, the dogma: the Bible is riddled with inconsistencies, the supposedly biographical accounts in the New Testament are demonstrably fictitious, the attempts by contemporary theologians to construct a coherent interpretation of the contradictory mess are failures, and so forth. If you have read some of the authorities that Loftus cites - Mackie, Martin, et al - I would still recommend his book, because he pulls all of the threads together in a compact and accessible manner. If you are unfamiliar with the literature, Loftus may be all you need. (Add Hitchens for spice, of course!)

I recommend all three books.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 25, 2009 1:57:02 PM PST
Haven't read Loftus or Lobdell, but the Barker review is right on. I'll probably buy the two unread books.

Posted on Mar 4, 2009 12:16:45 AM PST
Mr. Dk Smith says:

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2009 4:51:37 AM PST
DK Smith,
Luck and chance have nothing to do with evolution (Darwin's dangerous idea: Natural Selection). You need to read up on it. Try starting with Dawkin's "The God Delusion" where he refutes that claim of yours in chapter 5 or 6. (I don't have my copy with me.)

To the reviewer, thanks for the review! I am going to pick up (order from Amazon) this book as well as Loftus' work.

Cheers! :)

Posted on Apr 1, 2009 2:18:53 PM PDT
I agree with you about the "leading atheist" line. We are going to listen to Lobdell speak at our monthly Atheist meetup group tonight and on Saturday we are going to see Chris Hitchens take on some thumper guy at Biola. Our family likes to read and listen to what fellow atheists have to say about their conclusions about religion, but for pete's sake, they aren't our "leaders." They're just other guys who are atheists. Big whoop. Loved the review, by the way.

Posted on May 10, 2009 4:00:55 PM PDT
Thank you for this wonderful review. It is really helpful- especially for someone who is starting to look for this type of reading material.

Posted on Jun 3, 2009 11:55:29 PM PDT
W. Jamison says:
You might find Anthony Kenny's book "What I Believe" a very interestin read as well.

Posted on Jul 5, 2009 12:56:56 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 8, 2009 6:03:00 PM PDT
Your comments are less than helpful. How can one say of another person that if he knew God, he would never "unknow" Him? How can any of us know the agony of another's heart? We can only judge his pain because we know our own pain. God does not exist because he has not revealed himself to me. I find it impossible to believe in an invisible being. I believe with some of the Greeks that intelligent agency is behind or in or responsible for all life. I remember attendance at the Tridentine Rite of the Catholic Church before Vatican 2. Beautiful without question. If I could have the rite without the religion I would take it but I cannot and though I sometimes think when looking up at the heavens that it would be great if a real god did exist, that is not happening either, so I live with what I have and enjoy it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 8, 2009 6:36:57 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 8, 2009 6:38:50 PM PDT
Psalm 19:1
The heavens declare the glory of God;And the firmament shows His handiwork.
Psalm 97:6
The heavens declare His righteousness,And all the peoples see His glory.
Dear Sandra,
By your own words you have revealed that you have, indeed, seen God. He reveals Himself to us every day, in thousands of ways....a big way being His handiwork: the earth and the sky and the sea and the mountains and the valleys. When I was young (long ago), I used to look at the sun setting over the James River in Virginia where I grew up and I would yearn to have Someone to whom I could whisper, "Thank you." I would look up and out and say, "If you are there, show me yourself."
Sandra, if you will ask, He will reveal Himself to you. As I rocked my little granddaughter to sleep tonight and she wouldn't settle down, I said, "Let's just be quiet and think about our sweet Jesus." She looked up and said, "Why, Granny?" and I said "Because He never stops thinking about us."
Sandra, with God as my witness, I say to you: He thinks about you. Just pursue Him and start talking to Him and ask Him to help you find Him. I will be praying for you and I will not stop praying for you.
In His great, great love.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 21, 2009 11:51:45 AM PDT
Bookworm says:
Buxus: You are delusional & manipulative. People like you are a constant reminder to me why I am an atheist.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›