Best Books of the Month Shop Men's Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Joe Bonamassa All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Beauty Videos Amazon Gift Card Offer jrscwrld jrscwrld jrscwrld  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Fall Arrivals in Amazon Outdoor Clothing Learn more

2.0 out of 5 stars Looks great, does not stand up to even careful usage., September 17, 2007
In the fall of 2006, we purchased and had installed over 600 square feet of Kahrs Beech Paris hardwood flooring. One of the selling points for us was that Kahrs has an especially strong finish on their floors, which makes it very durable. However, we soon noticed that even the smallest amount of water will bleed into and warps the wood (even if the water is wiped up immediately). This could happen, for example, when there is a little water on the bottom of a person's shoes.

We contacted Kahrs and demonstrated the problem to a Kahrs representative. The representative was very surprised and said he'd never seen that happen. He videotaped a demonstration of a half teaspoon of water soaking into the wood immediately upon contact. Kahrs took a sample of the wood to send to a lab to see if there was something the matter with the wood or if not enough finish was applied to the wood in our shipment.

After all of this, we got a letter from Kahrs saying "this is a normal reaction to exposure to direct water ... and no further action by Kahrs will be taken". However, the Kahrs brochures and website directly state that exposure to small amounts of water could simply be wiped up; neither one says anything about the permanent damage that results under these circumstances.

Their website explicitly states, "The floors are protected by the surface treatment and can tolerate spillages." In their Floor Care Guide & Lifetime Guarantee, there is a section "Accidents Can be Remedied" listing that for the Problem of spills, the Solution is "Wipe with lightly damp, well-wrung cloth". Yet, their letter alerted us to a section of exclusions in their warranty, under section "D. Misuse" they list "spills" as part of "inadequate care". So, they advertise that their product's superior finish can handel normal spills and only need to wiped up and yet a normal spill voids the warranty!

The wood does look attractive, but it will not stand up to even the most careful usage! We are very disappointed! I would not buy this if I had to choose again.

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 12, 2007 4:03:34 PM PDT
I second this review. We are in the process of paying to have a Kahrs floor in our rental refinished before we move out. My mother-in-law has given it 3 1/2 years of regular use and it is all scratched up and the finish is worn through below the sink where it gets a little wet when she does the dishes. The finish on this product SUCKS! I'd give it a 1/2 out of 10 for durability.

Posted on Jun 6, 2009 4:29:58 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 6, 2009 4:30:44 PM PDT
Forest stone says:
We too purchased a similar click-lock Kahrs floor about a year ago and very soon noticed the same things you mention. The Kahrs representative who had charged a lot of money to install the floor of about 400 sq ft said that we must have used water to clean the floor. I had done exactly as told by Kahrs regarding floor care. We do not spill anything on it and it has a ripple like warp all over. Also anything that drops on it dents it, and it is supposed to be hardwood. In contrast, the wooden steps we made ourselves from red oak, then stained, and treated ourselves with urethane coating is able to take not only wet mopping but also any amount of drops onto it. I am sorry to not have seen this review before purchasing the Kahrs floor, which we will of course never do again.

I would be grateful to know of any sort of repair you may have since undertaken. I am thinking of treating with urethane...?

Posted on Oct 8, 2009 7:52:48 AM PDT
Mark LaFont says:
I have the same problem with my 3 year old Kahrs flooring except mine has cracks all over. Kahrs will not cover anything under their lifetime warranty. Don't buy this floor!

Posted on Jan 21, 2012 12:59:23 PM PST
We had a very similar experience with our floors installed in 2007. Our dog has ruined the finish the and various quick spills have warped the floor. NEVER AGAIN!

Posted on Feb 25, 2012 1:57:17 PM PST
I've had a similarly negative experience with our Kahrs maple wood finish flooring. After having all of our floors redone with it just 8 months prior to this comment, the floors are scratched up all over the place, particularly under our dining room chairs (chairs whose bottom pegs are felt-lined!). I haven't contacted Kahrs about it yet, and although I will, I doubt they'll do much to help me.

All I can say is: if you're looking at hardwood flooring, don't use Kahrs.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 28, 2012 7:43:25 AM PDT
i am thinking about putting down Kahrs Spirit ,in my kitchen ,your thughts?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 29, 2012 9:27:21 AM PDT
Make sure you test a sample to see how it holds up to water spills. We bought Beech wood. Even small spills can warp the wood at the edges.

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 6:31:11 AM PST
M. McCall says:
similarly had a very negative experience with Kahrs and a disappointing "not our problem" reply from Kahrs. I will be giving them a wide berth in the future.

Posted on Jun 22, 2015 8:28:57 AM PDT
Sean Brady says:
Wow! You just saved me from a huge mistake. I am planning a 1,000 sq ft installation and was thinking seriously about Kahrs. The warranty exclusion is a huge red flag.

"D. Misuse. As well as we make our flooring, we cannot be expected
to, and will not, assume responsibility for damage caused directly
or indirectly by misuse, abuse, accident or use that is not consistent
with our Kährs Installation Guide or our Kährs Floor Care Guide.
Accordingly, no warranty, expressed or implied, is provided for any
damage due to inadequate care or other causes noted in our Kährs
Installation Guide or our Kährs Floor Care Guide including, without
limitation, stains, damage caused by heavy items, by impact,
scratches, scarring, denting, extreme heat, damage from moisture
caused by wet mopping, spills or standing water, etc"
‹ Previous 1 Next ›