5.0 out of 5 stars Review from a Tea Party Conservative, October 9, 2010
This review is from: Mad As Hell: How the Tea Party Movement Is Fundamentally Remaking Our Two-Party System (Hardcover)
As an Independent who was very disillusioned with President Bush and the policies of his administration and as a voter who was disgusted with choosing between McCain and Obama to begin with, and finally as a citizen who was appalled at Obama's past: his abysmal voting record, his checkered ACORN involvement, his creepy social justice church, his support of his inhuman cousin Odinga (the guy who had his followers burn a church full of people down because he didn't get elected in Kenya)-- all of this made me ripe to join the Tea Party Movement.

I have been to numerous rallies and protests, both locally and in D.C. I have joined a local Tea Party group that monitors local politicians and assists in tea party candidate election interests. I have donated to tea party candidates, most recently to Christine O'Donnell, Sharron Angle and Allen West. I am utterly disgusted by the lamestream media's coverage of these candidate patriots and their focus on stupid things like O'Donnell's "dabbling in witchcraft" AS A TEENAGER - when Hillary Clinton held séances in the White House to talk to Eleanor Roosevelt AS AN ADULT!!! Our mainstream media has the audacity to give us these clownish, disparate, uneven portrayals of candidates and thinks we don't notice? Don't even talk to me about Palin. I am not a big fan of hers, but the attack she sustained from our media was more than most of us could have handled without a psychiatrist. I have a phenomenal amount of respect for Palin, she is a woman who lives by her moral code even though it means huge sacrifices (and I'm referring to her child Trig). I don't know that she'd be the best candidate for president, but I do believe the woman is a powerhouse of integrity, has a tremendous amount of strength and did not deserve the despicable persecution she received. As a former governor I believe she had the experience and would have governed when the need was there if she and McCain had been in power during the BP oil spill -- as Obama did nothing useful -- he sat on his hands and bellyached about putting the boot on BP's throat -- he talked about suing instead of taking action (governing) and cleaning the oil spill. Now much of the Gulf Coast ocean floor has 2 inches of oil on it. I wonder how long it will be...how many decades before the ocean heals itself. But he's a Saul Alinsky ACORN lawyer, what can you expect? He knows nothing of governing or creating jobs, just rabble rousing, suing and voting present. But I digress...

Over time, over the past couple of years I have wondered how effective we are, we Tea Party people, or how effective we will be in the long run. (And no, we don't call ourselves Tea Baggers, if you don't know that's a sexual malicious slur, you are either stupid or mean-spirited.)

I had hope that there were enough people in America, good-hearted, well meaning, Americans who loved their country as much as I do, that were willing to join together to bring it back from the brink of bankruptcy; bring it back from the edge of defeat by it's enemies - both within and without; bring it back to prosperity and safety. I had hope, but whether it was rooted in optimism or realism I did not know.

This book gave me more hope. It may not be as well written as some of these reviewers would have liked it to be. It may have some imperfections. I personally was offended by the fact that Rasmussen and Schoen referred to the poster of Obama as Hitler as being something the Tea Party conjured up, whereas it is part of the Lyndon LaRouche for President campaign that drags itself to every Tea Party meeting it can (and can often be found in front of my local Trader Joe's). They are not Tea Party folks... far from it...they are Democrats. Cripes...how Rasmussen and Schoen didn't realize that after attending multiple Tea Party Rallies I don't know... but everyone has their own misconceptions and biases. These guys couldn't get it all right.

The bottom line is that the book gave me hope. It gave me a better understanding of our Tea Party Movement from an outsiders perspective (it was interesting to find out that it was composed of three strands of belief systems) and we are not alone... we may be split off in multiple factions that have their own relevancy and life like the arms of a star fish. Some of us may not even be at Tea Party rallies to be considered Tea Party members, but we are Legion, we are in the millions... and if we keep working and paying attention to our politicians, we can get our government and our country back. Back to prosperity and safety from those that would see her fall. It won't take just one election though... we must stay vigilant from this day forward and teach our children the value of hard work, independence and freedom. Freedom is not something we should ever take for granted again... the progressive elites will take it from us by inches and miles when given the opportunity.

Everyone needs to understand the basic Tea Party premise: the more government grows, the less freedom we have; the more control that bureaucrats have over our lives, the more they dictate to us, the fewer choices we will have. We will be told what cars we may drive, how far we can drive them, how high we can have our thermostats, what we can eat. It starts seemingly innocuous but all are things that push into our freedom - things like identity cards, (keeping track of our movements); like federally mandated healthcare, (and you don't think in the interests of our health we won't be told what to eat if the government is paying for our dietary f-ups?); like preserving huge swaths of land for little fish despite the negative impact it has on hundreds of thousands of human beings (San Joaquin Valley); like the Cap and Trade legislation that limits energy consumption and therefore will force all but the ruling elite into driving SmartCars (was anything more badly named?) --but this government takeover of our freedoms will only grow more and more burdensome and ugly if we keep on letting it encroach upon us. There is no end to what the ruling Ivy League elites feel they can impose on us because they "know what's best for us." I have been to China. I have seen the people there and the streets where the police are not there to keep the peace but to keep citizens in their respective areas - they cannot leave the areas in the country they are supposed to live in. This is the control their government exerts on them. This is exactly the control that the progressives would eventually like to have over us. It's not pretty, it's not happy and it's not free.

I would like to thank the authors of this book for giving me more hope in our country's future. It renews my faith in the goodness of humanity again and fuels my efforts to continue the good fight to retain our freedom and make our beautiful country prosperous once again.

If you care, you should get involved too. It's time to join the fight or throw in the towel. There is more at stake than any of us ever dreamed there would be in our lifetime.

[Add comment]