5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding Camera, April 23, 2011
This review is from: Nikon D5100 DSLR Camera with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S Nikkor Zoom Lens (OLD MODEL) (Camera)
I own a Nikon D300 and I love that camera. It's a work horse, but it's heavy. I was looking for a camera that I could use as more of an every day type of camera. You know, something to grab to take a few shots without a lot of fuss, weight and fooling with settings. In other words, a fun, easy to use camera.

I had purchased one of the Micro Four Thirds cameras because it was light and small, but I found the quality lacking when compared to APS-C cameras. Also, most of the available Micro Four Thirds lenses are way too expensive for the quality you get with them; they're not that great. (The exception is the Panasonic 20mm lens - that's a good lens. Perhaps still a bit expensive.)

Enter the D5100. When I saw this camera, I knew it would be exactly what I was looking for. It's small, lightweight, easy to use but still maintains superb image quality. It's really outstanding in low light. I don't know what kind of algorithms Nikon is using, but shooting at ISO 1600 is no problem. Even the shots at ISO 3200 look good and clean up nicely.

The great thing about this camera is that it's versatile and flexible. You can shoot in auto, or you can use Aperture or Shutter priority for more control. If you're an advanced user, you'll be happy for the manual mode that allows you total control.

This camera really is the best of both worlds. A camera that an advanced amateur can use and at the same time feel confident that he/she can hand over to an inexperienced spouse or friend and know that the camera won't be too much for them to handle.

It's really a nice fit between the D3100 (more features, same sensor as the D7000) and less expense and bulk of the D7000. Plus, I love the flip out LCD.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 26, 2011 11:47:43 AM PDT
F. Cesario says:
Thanks for the review, let me ask you a question, does it record video in 25 frames in both 1080 and 720? Because in the official nikon website it only says 30 and 24 frames, but i've seen reviews that state it records in 25 frames if you set video mode to pal, could you check that please? Thanks.

Posted on Apr 29, 2011 12:39:06 PM PDT
I agree entirely with your review, particularly about the Micro Four Thirds cameras. The day after I got my D5100 I started selling my Micro Four Thirds camera, whose image quality is not even close to the D5100. The D5100 is currently ranked by DxoMark as the 11th best camera for image quality. This is out of hundreds they have tested. Four Thirds cameras are way down the list. Plus, after you add an electronic viewfinder those cameras are actually quite expensive.

The Four Thirds lenses are quite expensive for what they are, even the Panasonic 20mm. Luckily I was able to sell that lens for $125.00 more than I purchased it for. I was leaning towards selling the four thirds camera, but the D5100 totally made up my mind. I also have a D5000.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›