5.0 out of 5 stars A no-brainer for the price., April 29, 2013
This review is from: Nikon WU-1a Wireless Mobile Adapter for Nikon Digital SLRs (Camera)
The WU-1a pairs between a D7100 and an iPhone5 with no issues and was quick and easy to set up. The Camera broadcasts a wifi network which you simply select in the phone settings. The app is simple to use and recognized the 7100 without fail. The app can LiveView, fire the camera, be used to view the images on the camera, and download selected images.

I typically shoot only RAW but until Lightroom included the D7100, I shot RAW + JPG. My first few shoots I just download JPG versions onto my phone and that transferred pretty quickly. This weekend I went back to shooting RAW only, and that was a much slower transfer. I imagine that it is a combination of file size, and the fact that the camera or app needs to convert from RAW in order to transfer a format the phone can use. Next time I shoot with phone transfer in mind, I'll likely shoot RAW + low jpg.

It would have been nice for the D7100 to come equipped with wifi onboard, because the convenience of firing shots over to the phone to post on social media is huge. It's also nice to be able to send people images on the spot - it saves the lag of waiting to get home, upload to the computer, process, and then send. The color rendering and grain quality of the D7100 blows away my D200 so the WU-1a allows me to send photos without delay and without the need for color correcting. I'm glad I pre-ordered.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 10, 2013 12:45:00 PM PDT
Will it download wirelessly to an iMac?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2013 3:48:00 PM PDT
Joe Pillera says:
I have the same question! I'm using Adobe Bridge on an iMac. Will this gadget transfer pictures? Currently I use the brute-force way of taking the SD card out of the D7000 and inserting into a Mac card reader. Is this a better solution?

Posted on Oct 25, 2013 7:54:23 PM PDT
L. Etter says:
I tried to get this working on my iPhone 5 but I don't see in settings, wifi , anything that allows me to set up to use this. I downloaded the mobile app and did what it said but in wifi settings there is no other wifi that comes up . How did you do it???

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2014 9:02:02 AM PDT
Sorry, but this is not a better solution to transferring pictures to your computer. It's far too slow. It's fine for transferring a couple of shots to your phone to upload to social media or email to a friend, but not for anything heavier.

For me, the best on-the-road photo editing solution is to use the Lightning to USB Camera Adapter in my iPad mini retina. The transfer rate from my D7100 to the mini is crazy fast. Then I do quick editing on the pad, jump on wifi or turn on my phone's hotspot, and post photos. It's far more efficient. The WU-1a pretty much hangs on my camera strap in the little carrying case to use when I need to transfer a few shots in a pinch.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.6 out of 5 stars (603 customer reviews)

$59.95 $47.99