1.0 out of 5 stars Glass beaker cracked after 4 uses, November 27, 2012
This review is from: Primula Tempo Coffee Press 6 Cup - Black (Kitchen)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Length:: 2:18 Mins

My experience with the Primula Tempo ended after 4 days of use due to a long crack that developed in the glass beaker. The crack was not due to mis-use as I will explain.

I want to be clear that in my review I "compare" it to a Bodum French Press that costs about $10 more than the Primula. However my rating of 1 star is not how well the Primula "compares' to the Bodum, it is based on the fact that this French Press is of poor quality and craftsmanship regardless of its price.

I have used a French Press to make coffee for years. It's one of my favorite ways to make coffee primarily because it makes an excellent cup of coffee with a minimum of equipment. Before the beaker cracked, the Primula Tempo made as good a cup of coffee as any French Press would make. The filter did as good a job as other French Presses I've used in keeping the grounds out of the coffee.

I do not find clean-up of a French Press to be as much of a chore as some people make it out to be. Although Primula claims this is dishwasher safe, I hand wash the beaker after each use; less chance that it will hit something during the dishwashing cycle.

The French Press that I've used for years is a Bodum. Naturally, I compared the Primula Tempo to the Bodum since it was a convenient point of reference. If you are interested in seeing my review of a Bodum French Press which includes instruction on how to make coffee in a French Press you can see it here... http://www.amazon.com/review/R1G2ALAYSFI1YO/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm

Here is what I discovered in my experience with the Primula French Press:

-Overall, the Primula Tempo is of a lesser level of quality when compared to the Bodum.

-The glass beaker in the Bodum has a capacity of 34 oz, whereas the capacity of the Primula Tempo is 32 oz. That is not useable capacity but the maximum amount of water you can put in the beaker to fill it to the very top.

-The Primula Tempo glass beaker feels fragile. The glass beaker of the Bodum weighs 284 grams vs 245 grams for the Primula Tempo. Although the Bodum beaker is 2 oz larger in capacity, the thickness of the glass is greater and that is a difference you can see and feel.

-When I compare the visible glass quality of the Primula Tempo beaker to the Bodum, The Primula Tempo glass has visible vertical lines in it and does not seem to be of an equal quality to the Bodum beaker.

-The Primula Tempo mesh filter is of a thinner gauge wire and feels less substantial. The wire mesh filter in the Bodum weighs 5 grams, whereas the Primula Tempo filter weighs 4 grams.

As with any glass French Press you are not to use boiling water. The water should be just off-boiling. When you pour the hot water into the beaker you should give the grounds a stir but never with a metal utensil. Only use wood or plastic otherwise you risk scratching, chipping, or worse, breaking the beaker. I have used my Bodum French Press for many many years. It's still going strong. The Primula Tempo beaker cracked on me after the 4th use. I did not damage the beaker due to mis-use and used the practices I've discussed.

I have contacted the company that distributes the Primula Tempo (Epoca International) to get their response and will amend my review once I've heard back from them.

The Primula Tempo is Made in China.

UPDATE: 12-4-2012 : I have tried several times to email someone at the company and so far have not gotten a response. I used their website contact form and also an email address that I found. So if you also want to count "customer service" as a criteria an whether you want to order this, the lack of response speaks for itself.

UPDATE: 12/6/2012 - I finally received an emailed response from the distributor and they are sending me a replacement beaker. I'll update my review as necessary.

UPDATE: 12/10/2012 - I received the replacement beaker today. It is flawed. There are at least 3 or 4 sharp bumps of glass on the inside of the beaker and several apparent scratches in the glass. Total crap. I am reducing my review to 1 star. This is a very poor quality French Press.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 25 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 29, 2013 4:35:54 PM PST
M. Pleasant says:
Just so I'm sure you know -- this is $15 press that you are explicitly comparing to something that is $50. Did you expect for the quality to be the same? Most people wouldn't.

I'm not sure if your criticisms of this product justify a star review, since it seems you are basing it off of how well a product multiple times more expensive performs.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2013 6:09:06 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 29, 2013 6:14:23 PM PST
M. Erb says:
@M. Pleasant: thank you for your critique of my review.

Now I'll respond.

The Primula is a $21 retail item. I compared it to a Bodum French Press that if not purchased as the set that I purchased would be about $32 for the press alone, on Amazon. So the comparison is perfectly valid.

But that's not even the point. I am not rating this on how well it does or does not compare to the Bodum, I am rating it entirely on its own merits and am using the Bodum as an example of something that is of better quality.

The point is that no matter what the price of the Primula, it is a piece of junk, It would be 1 star if it were $5 and it would be 1 star if it were $75. Even the replacement beaker that I eventually got from the company is as poor in quality as the original. So my rating stands.

Posted on Feb 16, 2013 9:10:57 AM PST
K. Barrows says:
I still think you broke it yourself. Probably banged it into something when you weren't paying attention. I had one of these for over 7 years until someone finally broke it. What do you want for $10.80? : )

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2013 9:28:48 AM PST
M. Erb says:
I didn't bang it into anything. The quality of the glass is sub-standard. The replacement was also as poor as the first. Even you would be able to see the difference in quality between the Primula glass beaker and the Bodum.

Posted on Aug 9, 2013 7:42:47 AM PDT
. says:
Stop trying to get people to buy your company's product, seriously.

Posted on Sep 17, 2013 8:22:36 PM PDT
roland says:
all of these arguments in your long ramblings are incorrect and illogical statements.
first, it is a 10 oz. difference in volume, 6 cup to an 8.5 cup.
secondly, the price of the Bodum product is roughly twice of this product. the customer service will of course be different.
thirdly, your arguments based on mass are ridiculous, with a difference in 10 oz. of volume, a difference in mass is to be accepted.
on a fourth occasion, you VISIBLY checked the glass. you can't look at glass and tell its strength. it might have been dirty or light was reflecting. there is no factual backing to this product
for the fifth argument, the primula has thinner gauge, this implies that it is a finer mesh, making the primula the better product. mass in this argument is also extraneous because of differences in size.
the only argument that you have presented is that your replacement was scratched. however, having only one argument on customer service is no reason to present a product with a single star. the vast majority of your arguments are red herrings to throw people off and get them to buy a product you more likely support. it is more than likely that your product was damaged while you where wallowing in your vast inaneness.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2013 5:06:25 AM PDT
M. Erb says:
@roland: Thank you for your well written and intelligent rebuttal to my video review. You are wrong. Have a good day.

Posted on Dec 23, 2013 3:27:03 PM PST
Mr. Erb,
As someone who's looking for an inexpensive, durable press, I'd like to thank you for posting your review. It's been very helpful.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2013 2:28:50 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 30, 2013 2:29:06 PM PST
Robinhood says:
Since you're arguing the price, it's an $18 retail item, which is presently selling for 2/3 of that. I think comparing apples and oranges is a fair criticism of your review, given all context. You wouldn't compare the quality of a Honda to an Acura, would you? Or, what about a Big Mac compared to your local Brew Pub's Kobe beef burger?

I think cost of a product is very important when you put your comparisons and the product in perspective, but you seem to just gloss over it with no rhyme or reason. I mean seriously, for every critique you provide a comparison as to the more expensive product that you've inferred your prefer and have a bias towards. It's not a review "in and of itself," and, as such, doesn't really give prospective purchasers much to go on other than a seemingly biased opinion.

In regards to your updates, you try to express that the company has poor customer service (i.e. 2 days later, they "finally" got back to you), when your concerns were actually addressed quite quickly. Further, they seemed to send you a replacement without hesitation; albeit not perfect, you didn't communicate whether the alleged defects actually caused any issues. Rather, you just seemed to chalk it up to one thing and lower your score automatically and without regard for the perceived condition's effect on doing what the product is supposed to do. For example, you just say it's of poor quality, and is therefore justifiable after the fact. But, nothing as to whether it worked any better and/or didn't break. How are people trying to buy the product supposed to glean anything useful from this information? And, just merely saying price has nothing to do with it (without any further explanation) when you're review doesn't take it into consideration is a bit of a contradiction, don't you think?

Ultimately, you're entitled to your opinion, but others have merely pointed out that your opinion didn't consider all things equally, in context, etc. And, they're entitled to point those things out even if you stand by your review. It sounds to me that you were merely frustrated and didn't want something of lower quality than what you already had and that you let those things affect your opinion, though. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but why hide those part of the basis from your review from those looking for a competent review?

People want to know whether it works as advertised, taking into consideration cost, etc. As a review, I wouldn't rate your opinion any higher than you rated the product. Particularly when you consider I only see you getting needlessly frustrated, seeming very entitled, comparing apples and oranges, and so on and so forth.

Ultimately, I won't get a Primula because I don't want a cheap press; however, your review doesn't discuss that obvious issue: "You get what you pay for." In other words, a more fair (less frustrated and less biased review), might read something like: If you want a cheaper, albeit workable, press, then get the Primula press. They have decent enough customer service (given what you've provided); however, the quality is mostly commensurate with what you pay for, which isn't much. It does the job, but it's hard to tell just how long...

All that to say, for someone who is the "#1 reviewer," I think potential buyers and customers deserve more--whether you agree or disagree.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2013 3:33:50 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 4, 2014 9:46:06 AM PST
M. Erb says:
Dear Robinhood, thank you for your comments. Yes. You are entitled to your opinion. Please see my reply to "M. Pleasant" as it is essentially the same as what I would say to you. I write and produce a lot of reviews. I spend a great deal of time doing so. It's not my job though, and I don't get paid. I've spent enough time discussing this French press and I stand by my review, my follow-up updates and my replies to discussion. If you wish to carry the torch you have my blessings.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.1 out of 5 stars (447 customer reviews)

$17.69 $10.99
Reviewer

M. Erb
(VINE VOICE)    (#1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)

Top Reviewer Ranking: 7