Industrial-Sized Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Grocery Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Metal Gear Solid 5 Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day

3.0 out of 5 stars What happened?,,,, October 20, 2012
This review is from: Hidden (House of Night Novels) (Hardcover)
Let me start by saying I have been a huge fan of this series from the beginning. I have loved spending time with Zoey and the nerd herd through the first nine books. The stories have been exciting and entertaining and I couldn't wait for each book to be released.

However...after reading and listening to Hidden, book ten, I am having a few issues with story content. First, why is the epilogue missing from the hardcover print edition? I would have never even known it was missing had I not listened to the audio book as I read alone as I like to do. I don't know if it is missing from the Kindle edition, but having bought the hardcover, I feel kind of cheated since the hardcover is in my keeper library.

My second issue is that this book was rated for young adults 12 & up. I'm sorry, but the cursing and use of the F word is not for 12-15 or even 16 year olds, in my opinion. Yes they most likely hear it in school etc. but having in a book labeled appropriate for this age group...?

Next, and I haven't liked this in any of the books is using the word retard and really Aphroditie's attitude. She is coming off to me as a crude, rude, cursing bully who is drinking heavily now and talks of taking Xanex. I don't know if the writers are planning an intervention, but I think she needs it. She is supposed to be following the path of a loving goddess and she just isn't very loving. Aphroditie can still be snarky without being a bully.

Will I be continuing with the series? Yes, because I want to see where the writers take it
from here, but I am an adult and will put a story down if I feel the need to. I don't like giving a negative review to any author as I know they put so much into their work and when it is an author I really like, as is the case here, I feel horrible. However, having to watch carefully how money is spent these days, I feel I need to give the most honest review that I can.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 25, 2012 2:44:08 PM PDT
NICOLE JONES says:
I completely agree with you I also liked the series when it first started and was waiting anxiously for this book and was so disappointed by the content and use of so many cuss words I cannot believe this is for 12 and up I would never let my child read something like this. It makes me wonder was I that stupid when I was Zoe's age ?

Posted on Oct 29, 2012 2:17:34 PM PDT
Raina says:
I think the first three books were kind of inapparopriate for 12 year olds as well. Maybe 16, but that was pushing it. I gave up on this series after the third book, and I had read it when it first came out back when I was in high school; the plot just got too crazy and too sexual for my liking.

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 9:49:05 AM PST
ksm36 says:
I totally agree with you and the Kindle version is missing the Epliogue.

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 10:18:32 PM PST
A. Hammond says:
I haven't read this book yet but I'm glad you gave an honest review to it. I've been reading the HON series since high school as well, and the books really started to deteriorate for me after Tempted. I want to continue this series, but the Casts really need to make room for improvement. Currently, it seems like they only care about churning out new installments.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 10:02:48 AM PST
Cynthia says:
yes i have to also agree with you but i kinda wanna see how they end this series

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 7:24:22 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 27, 2012 7:24:51 PM PST
Chenelle H says:
I think they are using curse words because everyone who was a "young adult" when they started this series is now in their mid twenties... we have all grown old waiting for the next books to come out....

Posted on Dec 29, 2012 12:43:38 PM PST
mt2006 says:
I completely agree with all of your points and I want to add in all the talk about sex and how "sexual" feeding from someone is.... As a teacher, I WILL NOT put these books in my classroom for kids to pick up abd read; I kept with it for so long out of curiosity, to find out what happens in the end... but the end never seems to come!!! At this point, I don't want to spend any more money on this series-- I'd rather read something new and different, something that still holds my interest.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›