1.0 out of 5 stars Great looking, accurate watch. Awful band, poor night time illumination, September 10, 2012
This review is from: Invicta Men's 11753BYB Grand Diver Automatic White Dial Polyurethane Watch (Watch)
Update 9/18/12 - the band broke after only 9 days of wear. Additional comments below.

Update 10/11/12 - I'm still dealing with Invicta customer service on getting the band replaced. They wanted to charge me $28 for the privilege: "A check or money order for the amount of $28.00 to cover the shipping and handling fee..." They did relent, but said the band must be received within 45 days of purchase. The band should have arrived a week ago, but they are telling me they haven't received it. When you call Invicta, expect to hear things like "There are 35 people ahead of you. Wait time is 30 minutes." I can't log in to their website, and their excuse was "We just revamped our website and it isn't fully working right now."

Update #3 (final 10/15/12) - Finally brought Amazon in on the issue. Amazon offered to take the incomplete watch back for a full refund. (They also had two other equally good options.) The watch has been returned, and this saga is over. It is a beautiful watch, so read below for a full review of the actual product.

I needed a new watch to replace my Luminox 3903 Original Navy SEAL Dive Watch, but I had a hard time finding one with the classic, clean look that I wanted. The Invicta 11753BYB Grand Diver Watch looked like a great replacement.

Appearance: The watch looks great in pictures, but it is even better in person. It is a large watch, but it is not so big as to be gaudy. The size and white face really make it stand out, and it is something that people will notice as a nice looking watch.

Accuracy: I am very pleased with the accuracy. I have been wearing it exactly five days, and it has gained approximately 7-8 seconds. I am satisfied with that level of accuracy, esp. in an analog, automatic watch. At the current rate, I'm estimating a gain of 40-50 seconds per month.

Automatic: this is an automatic (self-winding) watch. My movement throughout the day appears to be sufficient to keep it going just fine. (see above)

Weight: I was not expecting the watch to be this heavy. I weighed it this morning, and it comes in at a fighting weight of 4.8 ounces! To put that in perspective, place about 24-25 quarters in your hand. However, I got used to it fairly quickly. After wearing it for about an hour or two, I did not really notice the weight any longer.

Band [updated comment 9/18/2012]: I had mixed emotions on the polyurethane band. BUT, it broke after wearing the watch for nine days. I have filed a warranty issue with Invicta to replace the band. Still unresolved as of 10/11/12. If you buy this watch, go ahead and plan on replacing the band. It seems to be a big, heavy watch for this type of band.

Illumination: other than the band,this is probably my biggest disappointment in this watch. My old Luminox was awesome for night viewing in the dark. This watch apparently requires energy from the sun, and with a desk job, I'm not spending enough time outside to get it fully "charged." Last night, I did get to see a pretty good blue glow from the face at bedtime, but I woke up around 3 AM, and it was faint and hard to see. Great in the daytime, not so good at night!

Extras: The large yellow three-slotted watch box is a nice addition. This case is very large: approx 12" x 10" x 5.5". I doubt I will be storing three watches in the box, however, I will find another use for this very nice, sturdy storage box.

This diver's watch is rated at 300M or 1000 feet. Along those lines, the crown actually screws down tight. And since it is automatic, there is no need to remove the back for battery replacement. Should be well sealed.

For the main reasons I purchased this watch (great looks and accuracy), I am pleased. For the band and illumination, I am disappointed. For Invicta warranty and customer service, I am VERY DISAPPOINTED.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]