Shop Costumes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Janet Jackson All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Subscribe & Save Introducing Handmade New Kitchen Scale from AmazonBasics Amazon Gift Card Offer redoaks redoaks redoaks  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage UnchartedBundle Shop Now Kids Halloween

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Info, Not for Everyone, October 4, 2010
This review is from: Eat Fat, Lose Fat: The Healthy Alternative to Trans Fats (Paperback)
I wanted to like this book... actually, I wanted to LOVE it... but I don't. It's simply okay.

As the other reviewers have stated, there is a wealth of information in this book, complete with resources in the back, but the amount of cooking and emphasis on coconut, not to mention the diet's reliance on odd (to the typical American palate) and rather "exotic" ingredients will make this diet impractical and out of reach for many folks.

If you live in a more rural area or in an area without access to farm-fresh foods and good import specialty stores, you may find this diet difficult to follow and expensive to source. That said, the nutritional principles outlined in this short book are excellent and this book serves as a gentle introduction to the principles of Dr. Weston A. Price. Check it out at the library before buying it.

**Now, before anyone starts "flaming" me in the comment section, allow me to state that the nutritional principles outlined in Nourishing Traditions, also by Sally Fallon and Dr. Enig, have changed the way I cook for my family and the way we view food, not to mention improved our health. We joined the local WAPF chapter and sing the praises of coconut oil which, along with raw milk, has made a massive difference in my son's eczema and allergies! I soak my grains... I make my own cultured dairy... I have TWO GALLONS of coconut oil from Tropical Traditions in my pantry...

Let's not be so quick to bash the heads of those who say they are on a budget or can't afford to eat this way. Ours is a single-income military family with three children... living in the greater Seattle area. It's EXPENSIVE! I know allllll about budgets and I know alllll about how important it is to spend more on quality food. BUT for many families, particularly those in which both parents work outside of the home, time-intensive food preparation and sourcing expensive foods via mail order may not be feasible and, quite frankly, be so overwhelming that it's impossible to imagine where to begin. Let us encourage others to start where they are - small steps - before lambasting them for not wanting to spend more on groceries. It's not always easy to completely reorder your thinking about food and eating, particularly when it's all you've ever known!**

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 24, 2011 12:04:22 PM PDT
I appreciate your down-to-earth comments and honesty!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2011 1:46:50 PM PDT
Thanks - it makes me sad to see those on the "real foods" bandwagon make blanket condemnations of those who aren't quite ready to make the steps necessary. It was tough for us and still remains a challenge, particularly with gas so close to $4 a gallon! We have to make trade-offs and, unfortunately, that often means that the easiest place to trim - the food budget - is the first place that gets cut. I think it's better to be a light for what is good than constantly curse the darkness.

Posted on Aug 4, 2011 7:09:53 AM PDT
Dawn Bel says:

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2011 9:14:08 AM PDT
A "nonsensical complaining rant?" Seriously? I never said I had no time to prep food, either, rather that I understand why those in a family where both parents work could easily be overwhelmed by the very idea of soaking grains and making their own cultured dairy.

Even if I DIDN'T have time (or make time) to utilize traditional food preparation methods (which I do) four paragraphs of typed text in the review of a book takes but a moment to post. Soaking and sprouting grains? A few days. If it makes you feel any better, my yogurt was culturing while I typed it.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2011 7:06:48 AM PDT
G. Smith says:
I appreciate your review. I love this book, but I've been on the "path" to whole foods for 10 years. It has taken me that long to discover sources, find ways to fit certain things into my budget, and to to learn to plan meals and proper preparation. Your review is realistic and speaks to the plight of the newcomer. Even after 10 years, I have to make judgement calls every week on where to compromise nutritionally because our budget just can't handle a "perfect" diet, and because I still don't have sources for every single thing I would need to maintain a fully traditional diet. It's just the way it is for the typical family! My mantra is this: "Do the best you can with what you have, and don't stress about the rest." Even small steps toward health are better than doing nothing at all. I applaud you for doing just that.

Posted on Oct 22, 2011 7:29:11 PM PDT
LL says:
Thank you for your important contribution to the review discussions. Yours is a reality shared by many. I love that you stated the idea of encouraging others to start where they are - crucial!

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2012 12:31:54 PM PDT
I.D.Say says:
Exactly..and that i how I do it. At 60 years old I pretty much raised my kids on "real" food. Rarely if ever bought processed anything and have always been a "from scratch" cook.
Refused to give my kids pop, j"juice "cocktail", cheez whiz or cheese "slices", or Skippy PB.
Much to the horror of my medical family parents and siblings and I freely ate butter, cheese and cream and fatty meat and fed the same to my kids.

When you cut out many packaged foods you "can" increase the nutritional value of what you do consume but yes..incorporating evrything and all items IS costly. Very rarely can I manage pasture red meat in my budget. Here and there I also make choices. some weeks organic this or that. other weeks something else.

Posted on Jun 23, 2012 7:13:34 PM PDT
NatPatBen says:
I appreciate your review, as I decide whether to buy this book. I've been reading many books lately about health (Dr Junger's Clean, Mastering Leptin, Life Without Bread, and more). While I am glad for the knowledge gained from all of them, I especially appreciate when the authors "rank" their suggestions for health. For example, Dr Junger mentions in Clean, something like "If you do nothing but go 12 hrs between dinner and breakfast, you'll feel differently/see results" (I forgot exactly what.) I find that when the authors suggest a starting point, it's easier -for me at least- to start there and gradually incorporate other points. When an author acts like it's of crucial importance to adopt every suggestion, it feels like more pressure.

Posted on Jul 25, 2012 4:57:34 PM PDT
Jennifer--good review. I make several of these same complaints about "Paleo Diet" books written by wealthy coastal dwellers: sure, they may be very healthy recipes... but I as a single. Midwestern man with two jobs (a full time job and military reserves) don't have access to twenty kinds of fresh seafood on a daily basis, nor the time to prepare 20-ingredient meals for a large family. It would be nice to someone write a book like this for people who want to eat healthier, but whose lives don't revolve around cooking...

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 21, 2012 9:55:28 PM PDT
Fiona says:
Perfectly said, and my thoughts as well!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›