9 of 9 people found the following review helpful
An accessible version of his main text book,
This review is from: Ancient Earth, Ancient Skies: The Age of Earth and its Cosmic Surroundings (Paperback)This is an update to his earlier text book on The Age of the Earth published in 1991 and 474 pages. This book is shorter at 264 pages and a less technical synopsis of the main methods used to determine the age of the earth. It includes the age of the moon, meteorites, solar system and the age of the universe. There is a section on the nucleosynthesis of heavy elements in stars and supernovae. In short, this book is superb. Chapter headings are:
1. Sleuthing the Past
2. The Birth of the Universe, the Galaxy, the Solar System, and Earth
3. Early attempts.
4. Clocks in Rocks: How radiometric dating works.
5. Earth's most ancient rocks.
6. Moon Rocks: Samples from our nearest neighbor.
7. Meteorites: Ancient wanderers of the Solar System.
8. Lead isotopes: Hourglass of the Solar System.
9. The formation history of Earth and Meteorites: Sorting out the details.
10. The ages of the Universe, the Galaxy, and the Elements.
11. Summing up and looking ahead.
Plus. Recommended reading, references, glossary, and index.
(3 customer reviews)