5.0 out of 5 stars A new genre, December 11, 2012
This review is from: Take Me Home (Deluxe US Yearbook Edition) (Audio CD)
Overall, I'm really pleased with this record and I have almost no criticism and the criticism I might have is constructive anyway.
I do see a lot of people offline and online saying a second album on such short notice wasn't really needed, but Up All Night was a 2011 record in the UK so it wasn't really a new release if you were a follower of the band on the X Factor. Typically, bands will release new records a year to two years apart at most, so I was not surprised with how quickly this record dropped.
Anyway, the boys said in an interview that they wanted the album to sound more like the live show with real drums and guitars and they really have accomplished that. I feel like they moved from pop straight into pop rock.
I'm also really glad that Louis has a lot of solos because he didn't have too much on the first record. Not only that, this album really shows off the entire bands true vocal talent, and that they have come a long way.
What I like about the album as a whole is that it is very nostalgic and it uses a language that really paints a picture in your mind for every song.

As far as the track list goes:

1. Live While We're Young
As far as sound goes, I feel like this is a graduated version of WMYB, but the message is completely different. Which is good, because I hate it when the first single on a bands second record directly relates to the first single from the first. After hearing the rest of the album, this is my least favorite, but it's still good.

2. Kiss You
Easily the most infectious song on the album, in my opinion. This was the first one to get stuck in my head out of all of the tracks and it's been there since. There are so much dynamics in the vocals.

3. Little Things
This song is the perfect pick me up. I think the goal of the song is kind of what WMYB was doing too, but this one runs a lot deeper. The cool thing about it, is that Ed Sheeran did write it, but One Direction made it totally their own. It doesn't sound like an Ed Sheeran parody, and that's a good thing. And although a ballad, it does fit in with the rest of the album.

4. C'mon, C'mon
This one paints the best picture in my head out of all of them. I can literally see a couple in a venue falling in love, and it's a really romantic picture. It's not about hooking up at a club, it's about falling in love instead. I like songs that paint a picture like that.

5. Last First Kiss
The high vocals in the chorus are executed wonderfully on this track, I think I noticed that above all else.

6. Heart Attack
Another one that's easily relateable. To me, the second most infectious song on the album. Also, very vocally dynamic, much like Kiss You, but with a different message. It kind of has a 80's pop feel, but it still has that rock aspect which sets it apart from typical pop songs.

7. Rock Me
This makes the change in genres for the band very apparent. It's ironic because the song is called Rock Me, and it's got more of a rock feel than anything on the album. I'm pretty sure this was done on purpose, and it works in the songs favor. This one I think has a very nostalgic feel. The guitar in the chorus is awesome, especially with the harmonies on "hit the pedal, heavy metal." It flows so well together.

8. Change My Mind
What I like about this one is how emotional it is, which is executed wonderfully in the vocals. I can really feel this song when I listen to it.

9. I Would
Another song written by a group and made into something One Direction-esque. I would not have figured out that McFly penned this one, had Tom Fletcher not said something on twitter. I guess it was kind of obvious in comparison to McFly's `Obviously' because it's kind of similar lyrically, but hardly.

10. Over Again
This one does sound like an Ed Sheeran cover which worries me a little bit. It's hard to tell whether or not 1D or Ed would have executed it better, or maybe it'd be kind of even just because they did do a good job on this track.

11. Back For You
For me, lyrically, this is a better version of Big Time Rush's "Worldwide".

12. They Don't Know About Us
The melody to this song is always the first to get stuck in my head after I listen to it entirely.

13. Summer Love
Very different from the rest of the album, but it somehow fits in. I think this is the song that sets this album apart the most from the last. I feel like with this one, One Direction really proved themselves.

As far as bonus tracks go, I love how they all fit in with the bands new sound. A lot of time with bsides, they're trying to hard to be like the old record, but these ones stay consistent. This is good because their new sound is much more well developed.

14. She's Not Afraid
Another one that paints a vivid picture, a little better than C'mon, C'mon. The chorus is very catchy.

15. Loved You First
Once again, the flow of the chorus is what makes this song. I love the way the chords go behind the vocals.

16. Nobody Compares
Usually songs with really long chorus's are boring, but that is not the case here. I especially love the guitar on the verses.

17. This one sounds like a cross between something you'd hear on UAN and Take Me Home. I like the verses much more than the chorus, but overall, it's a good song. Definitely a melody that will get stuck in your head.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]