5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC for the vegan and supportive non-vegan alike!, October 18, 2011
This review is from: Quick-Fix Vegan: Healthy, Homestyle Meals in 30 Minutes or Less (Paperback)
When my boyfriend went vegetarian last year I wanted to show my support for his healthy lifestyle change so I picked up Robin Robertson's Quick-Fix Vegetarian: Healthy Home-Cooked Meals in 30 Minutes or Less. We're just out of college and we live on a pretty strict budget so we were able to quickly and affordably make the recipes out of that cookbook with very little fuss! Not only that, but as a non-vegetarian I was absolutely loving the meals we were making!

So when he told me he was going vegan, I knew I had to pick this up for him for his birthday! And, much like with Quick-Fix Vegetarian, I'm glad I did!

Robin Robertson never fails to deliver on really scrumptious recipes that are easy to make and affordable. We're usually able to pick up 90% of the ingredients listed within at our local Trader Joe's and only occasionally do we have to go to Whole Foods to find a rare item. This makes making dinner very budget-friendly.

Here are some of the recipes we've tried so far and have adored:

The Jerk Seitan and Vegetable Skillet - Even though I still eat meat, I think seitan is a great and very tasty substitute. And, as a bonus, you don't end up feeling all bloated and heavy after mealtime.
Black Bean Sunburgers - We were always spending a pretty penny buying black bean burgers in bulk at Costco, but this recipe showed us how to save money making our own! They freeze really well so it's great being able to make a bunch at a time and saving them for later. Super tasty!
The Tiramisu Parfaits - These are TO DIE FOR tasty! One of the things my boyfriend has struggled with is how a lot of vegan deserts end up tasting dry or brittle. It was nice to whip these up and they taste just as good (if not better) as the real thing!
Easy Artichoke Puffs - I absolutely adore artichokes, so I could wait to try this one. We made these when we were having (non-vegan) company over and everyone ate them right up. Our guests loved them just as much as we did.

What I like most about this cookbook is the variety. Every course of a meal is covered and Robin Robertson doles out some very practical advice in the introduction of the book about the vegan lifestyle as well as how to properly equip your kitchen and stock your pantry for preparing these meals. I would definitely suggest this book as a first cookbook for anyone thinking of making the transition over to veganism. This book isn't too intimidating for beginners, but still has a great sense of variety for more experienced diners.

I honestly think you can't go wrong with this book, vegan or not, especially for this price! If you pick it up, you'll be glad you did!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 10, 2011 10:34:15 PM PST
Meah True says:
Nice review!

Posted on Nov 12, 2011 3:56:11 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 12, 2011 3:56:27 AM PST
Thank you for your terrific and informative review! I always appreciate when reviewers mention the recipes that they particularly loved. I have many of Robin Robertson's cookbooks, and her recipes are always easy and delicious. Can't wait to get this one too!

Posted on Apr 12, 2012 5:36:23 PM PDT
Sinclairika says:
If you are looking for more budget friendly vegetarian meals check out "Student's Vegetarian Cookbook, Revised: Quick, Easy, Cheap, and Tasty Vegetarian Recipes" by Carole Raymond. I especially love the section on soups and stews.

Posted on May 15, 2013 7:55:41 AM PDT
Shipper says:
I want this book. However, I have to also be soy-free, gluten free and nut free. Are their many recipes (or options) in this book, for me? Or are the recipes mostly soy-gluten-nut based?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›