5.0 out of 5 stars I bought the SX20 because I had good luck with the SX10, September 4, 2009
This review is from: Canon PowerShot SX20IS 12.1MP Digital Camera with 20x Wide Angle Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 2.5-Inch Articulating LCD (Camera)
I shoot all kinds of stuff with all kinds of cameras. I am a working photographer who shoots for advertising and corporate client as well as to make images for my own books about photography. Over the last two years I've been using small cameras like the Canon G10 and the SX10 for more and more of my work. In the studio, shooting set up shots or small products these cameras shine by dint of their easy to use Live View and increased depth of field. When I bought the SX 10 it was for the long range of the zoom lens which meant I could shoot anything from a construction site to tight shots of the cabins at the top of the construction cranes. I've done some portraits with studio lights and an SX10 and they were also very usable. I wish the SX 10 and SX 20 had raw file capability but they don't. That just means I have to be a bit more careful about WB and exposure. I've used the SX10 at outdoor swim meets and found that the lens performs better than expected right out to the end.

So, why the SX 20? Recently I've been asked to do more and more little video snippets for clients and for my publisher and while I like the results from the SX10 I wanted real HD video for the times that a medical practice has asked for video clips for both their website AND for power point and other uses. I wanted the extra detail for the times that they use the clips in projected presentations. The price point works.

I've spent a couple days testing the SX 10 and the results are very, very good. The front mounted microphones are of very high quality and the sound for most applications is very acceptable. Would I like a mike input? You bet! Does that sour the deal? Not in the least.

The image quality of the stills is just as good as the SX 10 at low ISO's and about 1/2 a stop better at 200 and 400. I'll chalk that up to the new digic processor.

All in all the build quality and the easy operation make the camera a winner for me. These days clients are more interested in using images and video in a wide range of multimedia and the SX 20 is a great tool for anything that's headed to the web. I still own traditional DLSR cameras and use them but left to my own devices I find the smaller sensor cameras to be highly competent and very usable.

With an SX20 and a G10 I feel like I can handle just about anything except shots that call for narrow depth of field. Traditional photographers may not want to hear that video is becoming a required skill but that won't make it go away. This camera is a cost effective way to get your feet wet, find your way around and get your feet wet. I like it.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 5, 2009 5:41:01 AM PDT
S. Sanderson says:
Thanks for your review. I just bought the sx20 and am waiting on it's arrival. I do a lot of video which is one of the reasons I thought this would be more top shelf quality and your review confirms this. I have other cameras but have been upgrading little by little. Something tells me I'll be real happy with this one for a long time to come!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2009 11:30:39 AM PDT
Is the only difference between the SX10 and the SX20 the 720p video recording?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2009 1:56:28 PM PDT
JM Mora says:
for what I had read the HD video is pretty much the biggest difference from the SX10. I order one SX20 should arrive by 9/9/09 I will write a full review then. I admit the only reason I paid $40 more for the SX20 instead of going with the SX10 was because of the HD video.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2009 6:04:15 PM PDT
Kirk Tuck says:
Pretty much that's the main difference. I think the camera feels just like the SX10. Not sure anyone would notice a difference on resolution.....

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2009 8:12:00 PM PDT
I ask because I just got the SX10 and I can still return it and get the SX20, but I only paid $300 for the SX10, so I don't know if it worth the extra $100.

Posted on Sep 6, 2009 1:21:34 AM PDT
K. Gilson says:
I've also read that's it quieter when you zoom in a video. Evidently you can really hear the lens zooming in the SX10. Also, the Digic processor is better.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2009 11:07:16 PM PDT
Where did you buy for SX10? I dont see any deals cheaper than $370

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 8, 2009 9:23:03 AM PDT
K. Gilson says:
The SX10 is going for $349 at Dell.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 8, 2009 8:50:09 PM PDT
The price of the SX10 had dropped to $306 for a day. I guess Amazon was clearing out their inventory before the SX20 was released.

Posted on Sep 10, 2009 7:30:38 AM PDT
In addition to HD, the SX20 has 12.1 MP vs 10 MP for the SX10. Don't know if this will affect IQ as the CCD is the same size. It will be interesting to read some reviews, when they come in.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›