Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Look Park Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports STEM

1,038 of 1,079 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Perfection!, October 14, 2012
This review is from: Google Nexus 7 Tablet (16 GB) (Personal Computers)
Words fail me on how much I love this tablet. I will say I'm slightly Google-biased, as I've owned Android phones before they were cool (and since), I use all their services (including Google+. Yes, there are people on there), and Google sent me a FREE Chromebook to beta-test it a year or two ago. So, yeah, I'm a little biased... =)

BUT, I've waited to buy a tablet. There's 2 iPads (both 3rd gen) in our house, and I do like them, they're worth the $500. However, it's not fun to just play with it. You need apps. Then, apps aren't really fun unless you get the paid version. Then, a $500 tablet becomes $50 dollars more, just to get some basic apps and games! Plus, it's cumbersome and weighty, so if you're playing a game, you'll be sitting it in your lap within 5 minutes.

The Nexus 7 has NONE of those problems.

1. It's $250. (Yes, I paid $275 for the one here, but I'm a Prime member and I have a store card here, so it made sense to buy from Amazon). It is NOT worth that price. It's worth $400 easy, in quality, look, feel, and performance.

2. The wallpapers, widgets, etc. alone can entertain you when you first get it! I customize my screens and change them every week to keep me from getting bored of it, so I gladly welcome how amazing it looks! Jelly Bean is silky smooth and the UI just makes sense, especially compared to Gingerbread, which my phone is stuck with... =(

3. Apps. There is enough on the device to get you started (including a copy of Transformers 3. Not that I'd pay for that *particular* title...), and the Play Store has so many naturally free apps that can do almost ANYTHING! Yes, if you get free apps, there will be some with ads, like with iOS devices, but at least you have a choice with almost every app, the prices for paid apps seem MUCH more reasonable, and Google gives you $25 credit just for buying a Nexus 7! $25!

4. Size. This was the make-or-break for me. I'm an avid reader. On the iPad, I fell in deep, deep love with iBooks. It was the PERFECTION of e-reader apps. Still is, in my opinion. I can get all my college books online in PDF, and I also have ePubs that I read, mark, highlight in. Owning an Android phone, I've shopped the apps, but nothing came close to the reading experience of iBooks on the iPad's nice 10" screen, the 5+ highlighting colors, and the shelves to keep my books organized.

That being said, I had reservations in buying this, as I doubted it could compete.

Even w/o a good reader app, it won. A 7" screen for a guy like me, who's NEVER at home, was a much better match than I imagined! It LITERALLY fits in a jacket pocket. Now pants, it'll depend on what kind, but the thought is that I can, will, and have taken this with me everywhere! It fits in my glove compartment, messenger bag, suit coat, jacket, you name it. With that alone, it beat the huge iPad, because now I was reading everywhere, instead of just at home. To make things better, I found an e-reader that's a very close 2nd to iBooks, Mantano reader (GET IT NOW!!), so I don't miss the iPad at all!

Cons: Hmm. Well, ummmm.... there's, no.... I got nothing. =)

Actually, I have a couple.
1. No HDMI port. That is a bummer, especially since Google is pushing their movie and TV selections so much, you'd think they'd give you a way to watch it on more than a 7" screen...
2. No 3G model... yet. ;D
3. Google Now needs some more work and features if it's going to compete w/ Siri. Not that it's bad, just limited...
4. Not many accessories, but how many do you need for a tablet? Phones, sure. But who would honestly dock their cutting-board-sized tablet? More case choices would be nice, though...

Basically, I've waited years to buy a tablet, waiting for a decent, GOOD Android tablet. Here it is, finally. It's waay cheaper than iPad, but not in quality AT ALL. It's running pure Android OS, unlike the Kindle Fires. Combining a quad-core processor with Jelly Bean means it's a MUCH better experience than any other Android tablet (I'm looking at you, Xoom), even rivaling/beating(?) an iOS experience!

Buy a Nexus 7 if you want a 7", $400 tablet for only $200 from Google.
Buy an iPad if you want a 10", $500 tablet from Apple.

Other than that, there is no difference or advantage.

Rate this if this review helped you in the slightest! (or even if you read it all... =D)

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 29 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 14, 2012 11:05:24 PM PDT
D.L.C says:
eBay is your best chance for accessories.

You can get a case, stylus, screen protector, spare charger, spare USB micro cord, wire management fish tool and cleaning cloth for $11.99 in one of the combo packs.

About the HDMI, some people say that a Micro USB to HDMI adapter works, but I'm under the impression that MHL is not supported. Maybe someone can clear this up?

Posted on Jan 22, 2013 11:14:46 AM PST
How is this tablet for Word processing? For example, writing and editing a 50-page MS Word (or MS Word equivalent) document? Assume that finished documents will be stored on a removable hard drive, and this tablet only needs to store about three 50-page document drafts at a time.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2013 2:50:38 PM PST
Kyle says:
Well, using this, (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005FUNYSA/ref=oh_details_o07_s00_i00) you can hook up an external drive using this app (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.homeysoft.nexususb.importer), and using Google Drive and a bluetooth keyboard (because the touch screen would get tiring writing 50 pages..), it could be done.
Whether it should be done is up to you. If a 7" tablet is all you want to carry around, plus these few gadgets, then yes, go for it. It will do nicely, albeit unorthodox. If you're going to be writing and editing constantly on the go, I would sooner recommend a netbook. They're dirt cheap now, and it would be much easier on you while still being just as portable.
That being said, it's probably one of the best tablets for the task, besides ones like the Transformer (built-in keyboard) or iPad (you can buy cases w/ a keyboard). It can definitely handle the processing of it, if that's what you're worried about. Hope this helped!

Posted on Jan 26, 2013 5:17:10 PM PST
I've read so many horror stories about the Nexus 7 glass screen spontaneously cracking... how is yours holding up so far? do you use a screen protector?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2013 8:18:38 PM PST
Kyle says:
Not at all. I even sat on it all the way to work this morning (I tend to keep it in my back pocket and forget about it...), and it's been just fine! Never had any scratches on it, even without a screen protector.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2013 10:01:55 PM PST
I appreciate your prompt reply, thanks!

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 10:32:14 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 19, 2013 10:33:06 AM PST]

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 10:34:55 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 19, 2013 10:35:50 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 10:36:33 AM PST
Sunshine says:
Does this have a camera?
Can you skype on it ?