5.0 out of 5 stars Best Android I've EVER Owned! (And LOVE the 'Shrinkage'!), November 6, 2011
This review is from: Samsung Transform Ultra (Boost Mobile) (Wireless Phone Accessory)
I'm new to the prepaid world, but not new to smartphones. For years now I've been buying & selling Android & Apple phones on eBay to avoid renewing my contract with other carriers, all so I could have the latest and greatest gadget in my pocket. Preparing to pull that stunt once more, I decided instead this time to give Boost Mobile a try, and chose the new Samsung Transform Ultra. My expectations for a cheap phone on a prepaid carrier were low.

To my absolute surprise, the Transform Ultra has so far proven to be the BEST Android handset I've ever owned (and just to be clear, in my case that means it beats out the MyTouch 4G Slide, G2, Droid 2, Droid 2 Global and LG Revolution).

I think the biggest difference must be the Gingerbread operating system, as the one thing this phone does not do (and ALL of the others did) is crash constantly. But aside from that, the Transform Ultra is also surprisingly smooth & snappy, not laggy and frustrating like all the other Android's I've owned. I was expecting less for such a cheap little phone. The keyboard is also awesome, especially for those (like me) that really, really prefer buttons: good layout and nice button feel (though I must say the space bar button is a little weird as you have to press down either side of it, not the center of it).

There are some less than awesome aspects: Battery life, for instance, isn't great, but I've yet to own a smartphone that didn't require me to tote an extra battery around. The phone also feels just a little cheap overall, but then again: it was cheap. Finally, tapping and dragging (to rearrange icons on the home screen, for instance) doesn't work well on mine. I suppose it's also worth mentioning that Sprint's 3G service isn't exactly blazing fast.

So there's that. For me, an Android phone that doesn't crash & force close, has a great keyboard and comes on a carrier that will drop my monthly bill by $5 every 6-months is a no brainer. I feel like such a sucker for having paid almost $100/month to those other carriers for much worse hardware.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 26, 2011 12:31:50 PM PST
Reader says:
Can u tether with kindle fire

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2011 12:37:13 PM PST
justinglen says:
No legitimate tethering option on Boost. I tried a couple root tethers, but they seem pretty good at blocking those tricks.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2011 12:44:54 PM PST
Reader says:

Posted on Jan 1, 2012 10:38:31 PM PST
C. Touchette says:
Just ordered mine a couple days ago...... When my Transform Ultra arrives, is there a safe way to remove the preloaded crapware? Any other advice?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2012 10:10:10 AM PST
justinglen says:
I haven't really been bothered by any of the pre-loaded software, though I did choose to replace the home screen / launcher app and a few other defaults... all of which can be done without rooting. (For instance, I like Go Launcher better than the default one.) There's a lot to explore, and plenty of Android forums out there to help you along. Have fun :)

Posted on Jan 20, 2012 1:52:08 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 20, 2012 1:53:01 AM PST
Frassy says:
for help with battery life dl the Eco Charger app which alerts you when the battery is fully charged. Charge only when phone is in the red (5% power or less) and remove battery from charger once fully charged. This helps battery last 18 hrs or more by making it charger independent. The app is for ecological purposes so unplug charger from wall when not in use to save energy and the planet.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›