5.0 out of 5 stars PS3 Slim, large disk, no Move, November 8, 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: PlayStation 3 320GB System (Video Game)
UPDATE: Aug. 16, 2011

Only wanted to note that the PS3 keeps adding value to itself. Granted, the competition are not sitting on their hands either. The latest system update added Hulu Plus, MLB.TV and Vudu HD Movies to Netflix as 'video' services and Qriocity for 'music'.

As for its versatility, I recently paired a Bluetooth keyboard that Logitech claims it's for iPad only with our PS3. It took about 10 seconds.

And, yes, I am probably going to get the next generation when it's released but, until then I am very happy with our 2 PS3s. One of which is the original 60GB console, still as good as new.

____________________________________________

PS3 VS. OTHERS :)

Ever since the launch of Slim, the PS3 has been undertaking a quiet revolution or... could it be the console's midlife rebound? :) Here's what happened recently - and I will only note the more important developments going 12 months back (writing this in Oct., 2010):

- NetFLIX streaming, now disc-less, 1080p, 5.1 surround sound
- Much larger disk (this one is triple the size of the original Slim)
- Move
- 3D gaming
- Blu-ray 3D

This is a lot of new 'stuff' for a 4 year old console. I am not going to go into bean-counting mode and compare the PS3 improvements with what we see at the other guys but, clearly there is a lot of life in the PS3 and, with the 320GB models, the PS3 continues to maintain the largest disk advantage over the competition, is the only Blu-ray console and, when you consider the services and the array of Sony-made and third party peripherals built around it, the PS3 is a well built, well rounded entertainment hub.

THE 320GB MODEL

Over the past year or so, Sony added to the original 120GB 'Slim' model, itself a greatly optimized and streamlined PS3, several submodels sporting larger disks: 160GB, 250GB and, with the Move launch, the 360GB version. You can view this model as the original Slim with a three times larger disk or, if you want to take a more recent point of reference, the PS3 Move bundle without the Move.

DECIDING WHICH MODEL TO BUY

I happen to own the PlayStation 3 320GB System with PlayStation Move Bundle model myself in addition to an upgraded 60GB 'classic' model - our current Blu-ray/DVD player and overall media center - and the Move bundle. We also owned the original 120GB Slim at one time and, before each purchase the main decision wasn't whether to buy a PS3 but rather which model was best suited to our needs.

At the time I'm writing this (November 2010) there are 4 basic models to choose from but, since the 250GB sells for the same price as the 320GB, it's safe not to discuss it so the 3 basic options are:

A - 160GB model: the original Slim with a slightly larger disk, lowest price, same as the original launch Slim
B - 320GB model: sells for $50 more than the 160GB, offers double the storage (this model)
C - 320GB Move bundle: for an extra $50 it adds the basic Move peripherals, plus a Move game, same large disk

Depending on what your needs are, one of the 3 should make more sense than the other.

OPTION A

If 'price' is an issue go for this one. The good thing about the PS3 is that it's possible to upgrade the initial disk to a larger one later. I'm not going to go into detailed accounting but, if you can reuse or maybe sell the original 160GB disk, upgrading this model to 500GB can be done at very little cost. Some basic technical skills will be needed.

This is the choice for anyone who absolutely NEEDS 500GB (rather than 320GB).

OPTION B

Those who can use the extra storage - intense gamers or anyone planning to keep thousands of songs and photos on their PS3, are okay with 320GB and therefore don't want to go through the disk upgrade process should go with THIS MODEL. $50 for double the disk capacity is a fair deal in my view.

This model makes a lot of sense if you don't care about the Move.

OPTION C

This is the model I picked because we wanted to have the Move option. It's the best way to enter the Move world at this time. The extra $50 will buy you:

* Move motion controller, of course
* PlayStation Eye camera (must have one for the Move to work)
* Sports Champions (Ping Pong is simply awesome, some of the games play much better with a second controller)
* A demo disc so you can see what Move can do for you (most of the demos can be downloaded from the PSN)

Given that the price difference over the 'plain vanilla' 320GB model is the price you pay for the Move controller, you basically get the PS3 Eye camera and the Sports Champions game for free - and you can sell the camera if you already have one and the shrink-wrapped game if you have no use for it.

In fairness and based on my own experience, you will almost certainly end up buying a second Move motion controller. You may also want a separate charger so keep these in mind when budgeting. But, regardless, this is still the best Move starter.

DOES DISK SIZE STILL MATTER?

Probably not as much as it used to. In my view, 320GB is probably enough storage to last till the PS4 comes around - and I'm one who did upgrade his original PS3 to 500GB.

You can store an enormous amount of photos, songs, demo games, home videos and game installations on 320GB. Two years ago I thought that 500GB were making a lot of sense because movies needed so much space but, since then, the pressure to having huge disks installed on a PS3 lessened a little due to the advent of technologies such as NAS (network attached storage) and Home Servers that allow you to have thousands of GB worth of 'media' stored safely off your PS3 and streamed in when needed. And, of course, Netflix streaming eliminates the need to save many thousands of movies if the somewhat lesser quality is not a big issue. Not everyone may agree but I have no plans to replace the 320GB disk with a larger one at this time.

WHAT ELSE YOU MAY WANT/NEED

Depending on how you are planning to use the PS3, this is what you don't get but may end up buying eventually:

- HDMI cable for HD output (a component cable should work too but you can get a decent HDMI for $3-5 or so)
- One or more extra USB wires same as above, don't pay more than $2-3 for one
- One more Move Controller if you buy the Move bundle (some games will either require two controllers or will play better with two)
- One or two Navigation Controllers (no big pressure because you can use the DualShock in your left hand but it feels weird)
- Dedicated charger, especially if you have more than one Move controller or you also have a Navigation controller
- PS3 TV remote controller to use when watching movies

MY RATING

I just love the PS3. I've been a PS3 owner ever since the 60GB classic became available and I've been impressed with the PS3's reliability, versatility and its sheer power - and I've owned both 'classic' and 'slim' models, upgraded most, gave away a couple. In the end it's a matter of personal taste but the PS3 is increasingly the most popular 'gaming' or 'entertainment' implement in our household. And we DO own an Xbox too.

I will not go through the long list of PS3's features. It would be an exaggeration to say that it does 'everything' but it does a lot and it's doing it increasingly well. Agreed, features and capabilities do not come for free and sometimes they don't even come cheap (see my list of possible add-ons above) but I can't say that I have the feeling of being constantly nickeled and dimed when I upgrade my PS3 or I buy a Sony-made or a third-party add-on. I have no choice at this time but to order the extra Move and Motion controller from Sony but the charger, the larger disks I used to upgrade my old classic, all of the cables, the headset and so on came or will come from third party vendors and even for the old SixAxis and the remote controller there were alternatives at the time I decided to buy the Sony-made ones. In addition, the 'basic' PS3 console can take you pretty far as it is and you can have a lot of fun without having to spend one extra penny.

To conclude, any of the 3 options get 5 stars because the PS3 continues to be being the most feature-rich, well-balanced console you can get these days

>> Brush your teeth, it's the law! <<

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 25 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 9, 2010 3:08:36 AM PST
A. Dent says:
Just a FYI - the PS3 320+Move bundle was recently offered by Amazon with a $50 game rebate as a lightning deal (too late for me). It's likely that more PS3 or Move deals will be seen between Black Friday and the end of the year but you never know.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2010 12:54:41 PM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2010 1:59:41 PM PST
A. Dent says:
LOL thanks, I was mostly wrong but not completely. DisC is used for optical media while disK is the magnetic media. That's IF you trust Apple http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2300. I am making the proper corrections.

Posted on Dec 1, 2010 9:55:19 AM PST
techmannn says:
nice review! but you dont really explain why you have the 360 already, but prefer the ps3. I was waiting for some comparison about that but it didnt happen. No big deal though. For me -- who also has both -- the only thing I like about the PS3 that the 360 cannot do is that you can play videos directly off of a USB stick on the sony in a variety of file formats -- very very handy. Otherwise the graphic interface and on-line capabilities of the 360 blow the doors off of the PS3, sorry to say it. Uncharted 2 was so far for me the only unique PS3 game worth playing.

Posted on Dec 2, 2010 2:33:50 PM PST
ickytips says:
i'm thinking of upgrading my PS3 here soon, as i'm still using a first gen, 60GB "brick" model (which i still love, don't get me wrong). My main concern is transferring everything from one console to the other; how does that work? also, do all your PSN achievements, trophies, user ID, etc. transfer when you log in to your new console via PSN, or is it saved on the hard drive of the old console? any info would be greatly appreciated.

Posted on Dec 4, 2010 2:33:07 AM PST
Now maybe you should also mention the fact that there are downsides to the ps3, like no backwards compatibility, don't just give something a perfect review, and not mention a single fault. such as with the xbox 360 it would be awesome if it had blu-ray. tell the whole story, not just the fanboy praise

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2010 5:54:46 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 4, 2010 6:03:39 AM PST
A. Dent says:
Cameron, I agree that a Blu-ray Xbox and a PS2-compatible PS3 would be awesome but, in the real world we have what we have. My review attempts to help one decide which PS3 model to buy, not whether to buy a PS3, an Xbox or a Wii.

I believe that I wrote at the top of my review that I wasn't going to do bean counting and comparisons. Four years in PS3's life, most people looking into buying this model have a pretty good idea of what a PS3 is about, already own an older model or, if none of the above is true, there is a lot of information 'out there', including hundreds or maybe thousands of PS3 reviews at Amazon.

PS3's lack of backward compatibility would have been a major issue on 'year one' of its existence because there wasn't much PS3-specific software at that time but the expensive models that were on sale at the time were in fact backward compatible. I still own one of the backward-compatible 60GB models (upgraded with a larger disk) and we are still using it as our main entertainment hub and Blu-ray player. Lack of native PS2 backward compatibility became a moderate annoyance on 'year two' and I felt lucky at that time for having one of the 'classic' models. At that time Sony provided a list of PS3 titles that could still be played on the PS3 through software emulation. The newest PS3 models, I believe ever since the launch of the Slim no longer have that option. On 'year four' of PS3's life, this is probably a minor inconvenience. We've had a PS3 almost since 'the beginning' and kids did play PS2's Kingdom Hearts on it for a while and we bought ONE new PS2 title post our PS3 purchase. I don't believe they've played any PS2 game in at least half a year.

As for the reason behind my 5 stars (and not 4 stars or 3 stars) is because 5 stars mean 'I love it', which I do. We recently bought the 'Move' bundle - which is THIS model plus most of the Move-related hardware - and we are very happy with what we got. Could we be happier? Yes. I wish the PS3 had more USB ports, including a couple on the back. I also don't approve of Sony's attempt to charge for premium PSN features and I hope that they abandon this nonsense soon. But I can't say I've felt that I missed anything currently available as a 'premium' offer yet.

P.S. - Talking about 'fanboy praise', since you wrote a review titled 'Best mouse ever' :), I happen to prefer Logitech's G700 over your favorite Logitech MX 518 as a gaming mouse and even an all-around mouse. If you don't mind having to recharge it every few days (or keep it corded permanently) and if you are not left-handed and your hands are not very small it's probably the best mouse there is - I gave it 4 stars.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2010 7:27:57 AM PST
ickytips says:
maybe he had nothing bad to say about it. maybe that's because there's really nothing to complain about. Call me a fanboy all day, i take it as a complement; i'd rather be an avid supporter, or aficionado, of something worthy of the hyperbole, such as the PS3, rather than the likes of yourself, who trolls forums with the sole intent of spouting hatred and criticism to the large number of "fanboys" who choose greatness over "what's hot."

what's really interesting is that these people who constantly refer to us (the PS3 collective) as "fanboys," are nothing more than self-loathing fanboys themselves. it's reminiscent of men who are extremely homophobic and hateful, yet turn out to be nothing more than closet homosexuals themselves.

i own both a PS3 and an Xbox 360, and there's honestly nothing superior about the Xbox 360. the only pro, or upside to the Xbox 360, is that they stopped backing HD DVD. otherwise, you've really got nothing to brag about.

with regard to backwards compatibility, i own a next-gen console to play games of the future. if i want to play "Metal Gear Solid," i'll bust out my PlayStation; if i want to play "Ico" or "Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater," i'll bust out my PlayStation 2; if i want to play "Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!," i'll bust out my NES; if i want to play "Super Mario 64" i'll bust out my Nintendo 64; if i want to play "Halo" or "Halo 2," i'll bust out my Xbox; "Halo 3" and "Halo: Reach," my Xbox 360, and so on and so forth until the end of time. Oh, can't forget "Altered Beast," "Sonic the Hedgehog," and "Golden Axe," "Golden Axe II," and Golden Axe III" on my Sega Genesis.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2010 9:25:27 AM PST
I don't know if they replied to your questions but your ps3 account is stored online where everything you have downloaded, purchased or stored will be sent to the new one via downloads. Your psn account will go there as well once you sign in. Now the main important issue, is syncing your trophies. Trophies not synced will not go to the new ps3, nor will save data files. However that shouldn't be a big issue as there are ways to use an external hard drive to save all the game data saved files and plug it to the new ps3.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2010 9:34:20 AM PST
ickytips says:
right on.. thanks for the reply.

i figured that my PSN account would be a roaming profile and i'd be able to access it from any PS3 simply by logging in, but wasn't too sure about everything else; but what you explained makes sense.

i think i'll just save all my game files, trophies, etc., to a USB thumb drive and transfer them to the new PS3.

again, thanks for the reply!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.2 out of 5 stars (315 customer reviews)

$345.99
Reviewer

A. Dent "Aragorn"
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (#1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)

Location: Minas Anor, GD