Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

5.0 out of 5 stars Make this your first cast iron purchase, January 5, 2008
This review is from: Lodge LCC3 Pre-Seasoned Cast-Iron Combo Cooker, 3.2-Quart (Kitchen)
Simply put, this is the best-designed piece of cookware you will ever use. Chicken fryer, dutch oven, skillet... use your imagination. The 'bottom' half is an excellent deep sauce pan in which you can make a decent sized batch of spaghetti sauce or chili, the 'top' half is a perfectly proportioned skillet. The sides are high enough and have a slight curve so that you can use it as a saute pan and low enough to serve as a griddle. I only have a small hot-plate in my apartment and I use this combo as a stove-top oven. Skillet-side down, it makes great baked chicken, deep side down it makes pot-roast. I couldn't be happier.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 15, 2010 7:42:29 PM PDT
Suerenee says:
I would never recommend making spaghetti sauce in cast iron. It's conductive. The acid from the tomatoes will leach metallic flavor into the sauce.

Posted on Feb 6, 2011 2:51:11 PM PST
dlcohen says:
tomato sauce issues aside, really creative uses for the pot.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2011 4:52:57 PM PST
K. Lindeman says:
I make spaghetti sauce in my cast iron pan all the time, with no metallic flavor issues. I'm not really sure why you think this would be a problem. Tomatoes are acidic, but this doesn't explain why they'd leach metallic flavor from the pan.

Posted on Mar 10, 2011 9:27:29 AM PST
stufftoread says:
Like K. Lindeman, I've been making spaghetti sauce, chili, and all kinds of tomato-based foods in my cast iron pots for many years, without any metallic flavor leaching into the food. I'm extremely sensitive to tasting any such flavors leaching into food, and have tasted it when other people have made tomato-based foods in new or poorly maintained cast iron pans.

It's generally recommended that people don't cook acidic foods in cast iron until the pans are well-seasoned, and even with pre-seasoned pans, I make sure to cook several oil-based dishes in them first. But once you have established a good seasoning, you can make anything in them, and they make delicious spaghetti sauces because sauteing the onions, peppers, etc. in them first makes for exquisite flavor. If you were to refrigerate the tomato-based foods in the pans, you might notice some leaching, but for cooking and serving, I've never had a problem with mine.

Posted on Mar 27, 2011 8:23:28 PM PDT
GinSing says:
This is very interesting, and excellent comments!
I'm in the market for some new pans and don't have much to spend and wanted to consider something more natural. Cast iron seemed to fit the bill and I like the versatility.
However, one health 'guru' said she would consider them except that she warned post menapausal women might have issues with the iron from the pans and advised against it. Really?? What do YOU think?
Also, do you have to always use hot pads?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2011 1:41:28 PM PDT
M McF says:
Really?? NO. Health guru? or nut case? The amount of iron, if any, that would get into the food is too small to cause "issues" (caveat: someone with hemachromatosis should avoid even the chance of minimal iron leaching.) And yes, some menstruating women need increased dietary iron but so do many older women due to poor absorption and/or insufficient iron in the diet (or the use of NSAIDs.) Seniors are at risk for iron deficiency anemia... to warn post menopausal women they might have issues using cast iron cookware is hogwash.
And yes, use hot pads. Always.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2011 4:43:09 PM PDT
GinSing says:
Yeah, that's what I was wondering, too. And, since I had seen that mentioned more than once; and even on various websites ABOUT cast iron cooking, I thought I would ask the general public readers what all they thought about that. And just like the topic of acid based foods (above), it seems to be one of those commonly 'disclosed' things to consider in regards to cast iron. Well, I've had mine for a few months now and I am pretty happy with them and am having fun with them.
Oh, and about the hot pads. YEAH. It gets really hot fast, and the handles do, too. And they STAY hot - always! I guess I'll be getting more hot pads! LOL

Posted on Sep 4, 2011 10:53:15 PM PDT
Anna says:
Excellent review! What temp do you put it on for the pot roast and chicken? And for how long? Thanks!

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 9:56:12 AM PST
ABsolutely agree with the title..this combo cooker should be the first item by anyone looking to try cast iron out. It gives you a small dutch oven, a chicken cooker and what I like to say is a 'wok' in the deep bottom half...yet shallow enough to fry in. And a shallow frying pan/griddle which is also a lid.
Had I bought this piece first Im not sure Id have bought so many other pieces :-D....course Im sure Lodge probably doesnt mind the extra sales....and Im pretty sure I'll end up buying more...its an addiction now.

Posted on Apr 6, 2013 12:46:26 PM PDT
I am SO glad I found this review about this product. I live in a building that is put together especially for disabled people and they have no ovens- only stove tops- and I have a small toaster type convection oven that's WAY smaller than what I'm used to. Rather hard to work with. I want cast iron- live alone- LOVE to cook, and am getting used to using just a stove top. This would be too small to put in the oven I've got, but I guess you've gotten used to it too, seeing as how you just have a hot-plate. It works for you huh?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›