5.0 out of 5 stars Heirloom Quality, September 30, 2010
This review is from: Saddleback Leather Extra Large Classic Briefcase
I'm not a person who gets attached to material possessions; they are built to serve a purpose, not become an item to identify me as a person. However, I do have 'comfort' items that I feel are necessary for certain tasks and I won't feel comfortable unless I have them (i.e. pen and pocketbook when going to work. A water bottle and first aid kit when hiking. etc).

When I travel this bag has to be with me. *EDIT* The XL complies with the carry-on baggage measurements *EDIT* It holds everything I need and keeps everything safe and undamaged. People say there is a large heft to the bag. I like that. If I wanted something that's light weight I would keep buying the same junk that will be ruined in 3-5 years. The heft of these bags means quality materials and work has been put into them so that they last for centuries (I can only vouch for a year so far).

I have this bag in an extra large. I'm 6'4", 200 lbs and this fits me perfectly. It's not too large or too small. I can easily pack two pairs of pants, a pair of shorts, three t-shirts, two dress shirts, some underclothes, my toiletry items, a book or two, my notebooks and some pens without having to cram things in. If you have all three straps buckled you are going to find it's a pain to get into, do as the picture shows and tuck the left and right straps back up and through the loops and only buckle the middle one if you know you are going to be pulling stuff out of it all the time.

The price is high, but you really do get more with this item than you will with any other bag in this price range. The main website even has their competitors linked on their site so you can do a comparison against their items.

+Quality material and work
+'Waterproof' to a point
+Plenty of room
+Durable

-Price
-Pain to get into with all three straps buckled

3/27/2011: The leather is really starting to get soft, like a pair of boots do after wearing them a while.

Also due to all the airlines charging for checked luggage I have problems now finding space for this XL guy. I've had to check it at the gate a few times, but I just quickly take off, and pack, the shoulder strap followed by strapping down all three closure straps. There's a bit of fear that someone might go through it (especially traveling to some international locations), so do be careful of that.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 15, 2011 12:06:44 PM PDT
Boone says:
Do you think that the extra large can pass as a "personal" item on flights? Definitely meets carry on standards, but if I have one regular bag and try to use the Saddleback as my personal item do you think that is acceptable by airline standards?

Thanks for the review.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2012 5:58:28 PM PST
I have the XL Chestnut and fly often. I have never had to check it one single time. It is smaller than the "rollers" most folks have.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2012 6:44:34 PM PST
W. P. says:
I'm usually one of the last zones/groups to board, by the time I get on all the overhead space is filled. This is the usual reason that I check it in, not because of the size.

I agree that even the XL is smaller than the average carry-on, but that's the problem: those other bags that people are using are huge (when packed) and take up space. I could probably overpack my SB and still meet the specs for an approved cary-on.

My next go with SBL is their waterbag. That looks likes a great bag for traveling with.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›