1.0 out of 5 stars Only Seven Most Recent Issues Saved, March 6, 2009
This review is from: The New Yorker (Kindle Edition)
I love The New Yorker. But I'm usually many months behind in reading it. Consequently, when I go on a trip, I take a tall stack of New Yorkers with me. This weighs down my luggage

I initially thought that having a Kindle would enable me to substantially lighten my luggage by allowing me to dispense with all the heavy paper copies of The New Yorker that I usually carry with me. But there is a problem with keeping numerous back issues of The New Yorker on the Kindle.

Amazon will reload to your Kindle only the 7 most recent issues. For example, if you are 25 weeks behind in reading The New Yorker (as I now am), and your Kindle breaks or is lost, Amazon will reload your Kindle with only the last 7 issues. The other 18 issues would be lost.

Backing up the issues is not an option. Each issue is keyed only to a particular Kindle. Consequently, if your Kindle breaks or is lost, the backup copies CANNOT be used on your new Kindle. Your only option is to have Amazon send you reissues, which they will do only for the 7 most recent issues.

This policy with respect to periodicals is in sharp contrast to the policy with respect to books. Once you buy a Kindle book, you can always retrieve that book from Amazon. I don't understand why Amazon doesn't allow us to retrieve all the periodicals we have purchased (in the same manner it allows us to retrieve all the books we have purchased).

UPDATE (January 21, 2013): All back issues of the iPad edition of The New Yorker (dating back to October 4, 2010) are available for download from Apple's App Store, not just the last seven issues. Even better, the iPad edition of The New Yorker is currently free to print subscribers.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 22 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 7, 2009 11:58:33 AM PST
That is the default setting for all magazines. There is a way around it though. Open the magazine and press Menu. From the Menu, you have the option to Keep this Issue which will bypass the 7-day policy. I realize this is an extra step, but I think their thinking here was they wanted the defaults to apply to the majority of people, while allowing a workaround for others. Hope this helps.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2009 6:48:48 AM PDT
Rich F says:
Should you loose, receive a replacement Kindle (warranty or otherwise) or purchase a Kindle 2 ALL past issues of Newspapers or Magazines that were downloaded to the original Kindle will be UNREADABLE on any subsequent Kindle even though it is registered to your account.

Think about this for a moment. You buy these periodicals and obtain the rights for your use, but if you purchase or replace your Kindle you have no further rights to read past issues YOU bought and paid for.

One better hope that their Kindle never breaks because Amazon does not repair YOUR Kindle they replace it with another. Therefore no more use of your periodicals.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2009 1:56:54 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 12, 2009 2:02:04 PM PDT
Trustbuster says:
I'm very skeptical about Cheryl Barstow's claim (in her post above dated March 7) that, if you select the "Keep This Issue" option for an issue of a periodical, you are allowed to reload it even if it is more than seven (7) issues old. I just finished a conversation with a Kindle specialist at Amazon, who told me that there is no way to circumvent the seven-past-issue limit on reloads of periodicals.

Posted on May 29, 2009 8:59:32 PM PDT
I want to buy The New Yorker for my Kindle 2 but will wait until this is resolved.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2009 10:00:58 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 4, 2009 10:09:17 PM PDT
I think Cheryl didn't read the review thoroughly and didn't realize that the post said that if the Kindle broke, the owner would not be able to reload to a new device the issues already paid for. Nor can that owner 'open' an issue that is moved from a backup on one's computer to the new Kindle.

That's true because Amazon puts a device ID on the magazine file and has insisted that the publishers don't want more than 7 back issues to be kept and therefore they don't have older issues on the servers to reload to a Kindle you've bought to replace an older Kindle.

In the meantime, our Kindles CAN 'keep' them in the way Cheryl said but we cannot move them to a new Kindle and then Open them for reading, because the copyright protection field for that magazine's issues specifies the older Kindle as the only Kindle that can -ever- open the magazine even if it's broken.

Amazon provides no way to change the device IDs for the older files that were purchased so that you can read them. They become useless for us. Is this what the publishers intended?

In this case, there is no doubt that we do not in any way 'own' the magazines we subscribe to; they can be read only on that one specific device, ever. I have written about this and feel strongly that Amazon should do something in their programming to change this. For me, with all the emphasis on the downsides, for e-reader owners, of digital-rights-management reality, Amazon should do something about this problem.

I say that as someone who subscribes to the New Yorker, preferring the Kindle version to the RSS feeds of this magazine that are available for one's PC or for the Kindle. The navigation's better.
But this situation will become more important to Amazon as more people subscribe to magazines on the DX heavily marketed for periodicals and come to realize this. I am a Kindle enthusiast but this is a lazy policy by Amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 20, 2009 6:14:46 PM PDT
Bliss says:
Well, that solved that question for me regarding The New Yorker (my main magazine reading) and any other magazine I now get in hard-copy delivered to my door. Amazon and the publishing industry MUST resolve this issue so that, just as I save (hoard, pile) my magazines and clippings, I want to do the same with everything I purchase in digital format. Also, as new models and software is developed we WILL have to purchase new technology and transfer or convert older formats. Don't these guys remember the continuing computer evolution? In 1985 I thought 10KB hard drive would never fill up! The Kindle WILL eventually have color, more tricks that reflect how we read, save, and recall information. When I pay several HUNDRED dollars for a professional journal, I want access forever to the issues I paid for. It's not about People Magazine and Jo Lo. Magazines, Journals, Books -- since Amazon and others are treading into education, they better work this stuff out! And I'll keep getting and saving my US Mail delivered magazines, including the New Yorker. And ditch my idea of giving a Kindle & New Yorker e-subscription as a Christmas gift. Get it resolved Amazon!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 1, 2009 2:45:53 PM PDT
wyndfall says:
As someone considering leaping into Kindle-World this particular issue has stopped me cold. I would have purchased a DX and subscribed to periodicals I currently love, but no longer. Fix this, Amazon, and you may get a customer back!

Posted on Nov 2, 2009 6:26:20 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 2, 2009 6:26:36 PM PST]

Posted on Dec 18, 2009 9:41:49 AM PST
Mr Royster says:
Dude, if you're trying to make up 25 issues, your Kindle is doing you a favor by losing the old ones!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2010 11:46:57 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Oct 14, 2010 6:12:37 PM PDT]
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.0 out of 5 stars (246 customer reviews)

$5.99