3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad for the price, November 23, 2010
This review is from: Sony HT-CT150 3D Sound Bar System (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
I bought this system because like everyone else, my TV sound was pretty weak. I didn't want to deal with running speaker wires all over so I went with the sound bar. Its definitely easy to set up with my Sony TV and the sound is better than the TV. But it isn't as good as I was expecting from reading all the other reviews. I wish I could use the sound bar along with the TV speakers but using the pass-through the sound is off just slightly and creates a slight echo. Seems like I need to adjust the volume quite a bit more when switching channels or playing a DVD than I did with just the TV sound. Some channels are good at 14 and some I have to crank up to 40.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 29, 2010 8:47:05 PM PST

Posted on Dec 8, 2010 8:32:54 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 8, 2010 8:34:46 PM PST
I agree with you 100%. I also have a Sony tv and using the pass-through as well. Some channels are very low and others are very high. I'm not lazy and don't mind giving my fingers alittle exercise but I hate that at times when I change the channel, the volume could wake the dead and my kids! I find myself lowering the volume before changing the channel.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2010 7:09:02 PM PST
N. Wells says:
How about not using the passthrough and using the optical input instead? Does this resolve the problems?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2010 10:57:50 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2010 11:32:44 AM PST
I also agree with T. Lewison's comments. I have this soundbar connected to my HDTV's optical out and get the delay/echo sound when my tv speakers and soundbar are both on. So, to minimized this sound problem, I make the sound output from the tv's speakers lower than the soundbar.

There is more of a stereo sound when using both tv and soundbar speakers than just using the soundbar; it's a 3 location vs. 1 location benefit. The soundbar's sound is better than my tv's, BUT having it come from only one location is a step down since I am use to two speakers/locations from the bottom the tv. So I have to leave the tv speakers on, but at a lower volume to still get the stereo feel. I put the soundbar on the tv stand next to the bottom edge of the Panasonic 46" tv screen. I would have prefer to put it above the tv, like another reviewer had done.

Is it worth $200+? It does have nicer sounds when watching movies and playing games (which is why I decided to keep it). If just watching tv shows and the news, it's not worth it for this price. Also, it has too much bass sound for my tastes; I have to set it at -5 (-6 is the lowest).

Posted on Jan 27, 2011 9:51:39 PM PST
R. Waltjen says:
I too am a bit disappointed with the sound. Some programs are great and give me plenty of sound, but for others, I need to crank it all the way up to 50, and its still not as loud as I would like. This is especially true for some of the music channels. After messing with this for a bit, I found that by running my dvr/cable box through the television while using the optical cable to the Sony receiver, I can use my regular television speakers at the same time, and they are in sync. This gives me the added loudness I want when listening to music, and if the music is in 2.0, it actually sounds better.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2011 1:04:58 PM PST
R. Waltjen, I tried a similar set up but still had the slight delay. Do you run the optical cable from the DVR to the Sony receiver or from the TV to the Sony receiver?

Posted on Feb 6, 2011 7:26:11 PM PST
jra says:
The difference in volume from station-to-station is due to the differences in levels broadcast by the stations. There are supposed to be standards in place to prevent this from happening but the FCC does not attempt to enforce their own regulations. You would encounter the same differences with any system. The tv audio is so pathetic that it is less notable from the little speakers in the set.

Posted on Jan 8, 2012 6:01:00 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 8, 2012 6:05:21 AM PST
I agree with you but I am blaming the sources (TV, DVD Player, Cable, Internet, HD) not the Sony system... in a way you are doing the same when you said:
"Some channels are good at 14 and some I have to crank up to 40".
For some channels volume is almost not enough. If you watch "Heroes" on Netflix, just for instance, the volume is perfect. For some DVDs I had some troubles ....
Regards

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 6:46:21 AM PST
Danny says:
I am looking to replace my father-in-law's surround sound system with a sound bar. He is 77 yrs old and his hearing in going. My issue is if he uses the tv sound, it blasts the entire room and no one can be heard because of the tv sound. If I purchase a soundbar and place it on the wall behind his head, this should relieve the problem. My question is this.........will the soundbar turn off and on automatically with the tv? He is technology challenged and I want to make things simple as possible.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 7:21:52 AM PST
Cathy,
It all depends if your TV is compatible with this soundbar. I have a Samsung TV which comes with a technology called "AllShare (Powered by DNLA)" and therefore I am able to use only the TV remote control for both systems... almost... 1) I have to turn-on the TV and wait few seconds 2) Turn-on the soundbar with its remote 3) at this point I can put down the soundbar remote and control the volume with TV remote control only 4) when I turn off the TV also the soundbar shuts down automatically.

In my case, to make it work, I had to buy an extra cable:

Mediabridge ULTRA Series HDMI Cable (6 Feet) - High-Speed Supports Ethernet, 3D and Audio Return [Newest Standard]

The soundbar is very easy to install and works pretty well BUT, as other users have stated, it is not a very powerful system.

This system is not made to be installed with the soundbar behind the head of the listener. Besides, would like to see two black cables running in the middle of your livingroom?

As a matter of fact, I had your very same problem with my grandmother but I had a different approach to solve it, namely I have bought for her a wireless tv headphones:

Take care and good luck!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›