4.0 out of 5 stars Mostly Good with Drawbacks, May 22, 2011
This review is from: Netgear PUSH2TV HD PTV2000 1080P Adapter for Wireless Display (Personal Computers)
For the most part, the PTV2000 is easy to setup. Place the box at a location near your TV. Plug in the AC adapter into your PTV2000. Connect the HDMI wire into your TV and into your PTV2000. Turn the TV on and select the HDMI input channel. Turn the PTV2000 on by pushing the power button at the back of the box. Turn on your laptop, open the WIDI program, search for the adapter and connect. That's It! This is a step up from the PTV1000 because of 1080 resolution (makes a big difference than 720) and can play more media than the PTV1000 (such as protected original blu-rays). This wireless connection between your laptop and tv gives you both sound and picture and the laptop can be on another floor of the house so the connection is quite good.

Drawbacks:
1) If you get an error message about restarting your computer, then try turning off your firewall or firewalls if you have more than one (such as windows and norton). No need to restart your computer, just turn off firewalls and try again. I tried setting my firewall to allow this but couldn't figure it out. I have AVG security.
2) You cannot use this if you are using your dedicated video card. You must use Intel HD video. This is a major drawback because I tried watching a SC2 replay and because it forces me to switch back to Intel HD rather than using my dedicated video card, the replay lagged. So don't buy the PTV2000 hoping to play video games requiring a dedicated video card while transmitting it to the television because the WIDI program won't even start up until you switch back to intel HD video).

Because I watch streaming videos from the internet and play games and the PTV2000 only works for one of my purposes, I give this 4 stars though if I didn't play games I would give it 5 stars because it is really easy to use and is beautiful on TV. I didn't give it 3 stars because perhaps I should have read that it cannot be used with a dedicated video card but there isn't really a lot of information on this product on the netgear site (the netgear site still says Coming Soon, when are they doing to update that!)

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 25, 2011 7:57:02 AM PDT
scleiton says:
It's good to have a 1020p image, but I can't think in turn off my firewall. It's dangerous and I'm afraid to do this.

I have a doubt about this model: There is a .5 delay between sound or image from laptop to tv like the model PTV1000 ?

Posted on Jun 25, 2011 7:57:04 AM PDT
scleiton says:

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2011 11:53:23 AM PDT
Hi scleiton,

Unfortunately I followed the instructions on how to add the PTV2000 to the list of approved firewall applications and was still not able to get it to work so I have been turning off the firewall or it does not allow you to connect. Connecting to the PTV2000 does not require the internet router, it is a direct link from your computer to the PTV2000 so if you are not doing anything on the internet, you can actually turn off your internet so you can be safer when turning off your firewall. However, if you must use the internet, you can actually activate the hardware firewall on your wireless router so you can be safer while turning off the software firewall on your computer. I never used the PTV1000 but there is no sound/image delay when I use the PTV2000 and it works quite well for me especially at 1080p the resolution makes my movies very nice, like HD quality. Hope that helps and thanks for the comment!

Posted on Oct 4, 2011 5:40:10 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 4, 2011 5:50:39 PM PDT]

Posted on Jan 28, 2012 7:42:48 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 28, 2012 7:43:08 AM PST
J. Badessa says:
THANK YOU for telling us about the fact that it uses Intel HD instead of the dedicated video card, so playing intensive games will not work. This is a VERY important piece of information for me, and it makes this whole thing a deal-breaker. This is exactly what I was afraid of, and I probably would have wasted $100 on this. Thanks again!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2012 10:05:09 PM PST
glad to have helped -=)

Posted on Apr 27, 2012 8:02:30 AM PDT
Ashok Shah says:
I am trying to find information about the sound. Does it transmit the sound as well and at what quality. If I want to watch videos, I want to connect up my Home Theater system and it would be pointless to have to connect them with wires and have the picture wireless.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 27, 2012 8:21:37 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 27, 2012 8:22:21 PM PDT
H. Lee says:
Hi Ashok, yes it does transmit sound. Though I do not know what quality it transmits at, I believe it should be the same quality as your source. Basically my set up is I have my netgear box connected to my TV using HDMI. Then my computer is in another room and I stream Hulu and both picture and sound comes onto the TV. There is also a yellow video out, and a red and white audio out in the back of the netgear box so I would think you can split video to TV and audio to your Home Theater System...unless your Home Theater system can take HDMI and pass video to the TV. But no, you do not need to connect your computer to your Home Theater system as picture and sound are both wirelessly transmitted. Hope that helps!

Posted on Jun 7, 2012 9:06:41 AM PDT
The information about not being able to use the discrete GPU is incorrect for Nvidia optimus systems. Not sure about ATI. Nvidia Optimus systems work just fine using WiDi, and the Nvidia GPU will be enabled for the same applications with WiDi on or off - games will work using the Nvidia GPU. That being said, there is still some latency and this is best for watching movies or TV from your computer or the internet. It is probably about 0.1 seconds of latency.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2012 10:19:02 AM PDT
DigitalMan says:
Thanks for poiting out this additional information, on top of the very well-done review and other Q&A here, it was really important to see someone point out that you can use a discrete GPU depending on the make/model. Also good to know that someone as picky as myself might notice some latency.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.3 out of 5 stars (159 customer reviews)

$114.99 $51.00