5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good action film..., March 18, 2013
This review is from: Jack Reacher (Amazon Instant Video)
I'm the first to admit that going into this film I had low expectations. Cruise is a decent enough actor and well suited for the genre, but the plot seemed derivative and overly pedantic, just another flick I'd catch because...well...I'm a dude and the preview mentioned something about guns and explosives.

Surprisingly, the plot played out steadily, not needing to be propped up by a few well placed action sequences. While, if you've seen any movie ever in your life, you'll be able to predict what's going to ultimately happen, "Reacher" maintains a consistent level of intrigue and charm through the whole length of the film. I appreciated that the action scenes actually added to the plot. I was expecting some random "Look how awesome I am at fighting" scenes tossed into the mix, and was happy to see that while those scenes are absolutely in there, they also help move the plot forward. Good thinking, action-movie-maker-people (pretty sure that's the correct technical job title, but don't quote me on that...)

In sum, without telling you a thing about the film (because I hate summaries that are just spoilers in disguise), you can feel good about spending your money on this one. You'll enjoy it. Even if you hate Tom Cruise. That's right, I'm talking to you, Katie...

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 12, 2013 2:20:33 AM PDT
JCP says:
Hi Zachary,
I just wanted to let you know that the people who repeatedly went after you about your other review were out of line. I received e-mails of new posts. When I went online to post a new comment on your behalf the review was no longer posted. I assume you removed it and can't blame you. It took some doing to find another review, but it was bothering me.

Unfortunately when such touchy issues are met with emotionally charged resistance all objectivity is lost. Disagree with someone on a religious, racial, sexual orientation or gender issue and you may as well paint a target on your back. You were treated abominably. Those of us who realize that the very issues that make us squirm require the kinds of questions you asked are not usually vocal. Those who cannot handle such questions are very vocal, which is exactly why I logged on with the intent of posting another comment. Hang in there. You were right after all.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2013 8:44:54 PM PDT
JCP,

I'm humbled that you would take the time and effort to track a stranger down to encourage him. That says a lot about your character. If you have kids or will have kids one day, they're lucky to have you as a parent. I appreciate your kind words. There's really no way I can repay your kindness with anything other than my sincerest gratitude, but I hope that if you ever want an outsider's ear to bend on anything troubling you, just reply here and we can work out a way to exchange emails without showing the entire world. The invitation stands indefinitely, even if you just want a soundboard to bounce things off of.

I pray you have a great weekend laced with many fruitful conversations. Again, thanks for your kindness. It's so rare and something I do not take for granted, even if it's just a simple Amazon post. Take care...

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 13, 2013 3:28:43 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 13, 2013 6:05:42 PM PDT]

Posted on Feb 6, 2014 12:48:22 AM PST
Rioja1992 says:
Zachary, what a breath of fresh air you are...enjoyed your review, with all the tongue-in-cheek you may...or may not...have intended! ;) You possess a wonderfully dry wit.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.9 out of 5 stars (9,982 customer reviews)
 (3,573)