4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for Chariot fans, very good for all metal fans, May 8, 2009
This review is from: Wars and Rumors of Wars (Audio CD)
The Cha Cha Cha Riot have returned with their third full length release: Wars and Rumors of Wars. Other reviewers have already gushed over this album so I'll point out a few things that haven't been said, including some criticism. I'll start with the positive.

First, Josh Scogin has the best voice in the business, and he's in top form on this record. He's never used any vocal enhancements in the past (that I know of, anyhow) and I don't believe he is on this record, but his lyrics are delivered gorgeously. I can't say enough about the emotion he puts into each song.

Second, the album sounds like a live performance. It's not overly sloppy or anything, but it definitely isn't perfect the way nearly all metal albums are these days. Wars is not over-produced, but mixed and mastered well enough to let it shine. The feedback and other such imperfections keep the album honest, and it's refreshing to listen to. You get 5 guys playing their instruments, not computers.

For these reasons and more (see other reviews for some), the album is certainly worth owning for anyone who is a fan of The Chariot, Norma Jean's first (and, in my opinion, best) album [Bless The Martyr, Kiss the Child], or who enjoys heavy music and is looking for something new. I got mine for $7.99.

Now the bad. Note: this is nitpicky stuff that doesn't matter much to me, but I understand that other people might want to know about it.

First, you remember me mentioning I got the album for 7.99? Well, the value isn't as good as it sounds (in terms of dollars/minute) because Wars clocks in at 30 minutes, 28 seconds. Even then, there is some material that many would consider 'filler' (although I personally think most of it adds to the overall feeling the album seems to be going for). The last track's filler, however, dissappointed me. The track is listed as 6:00 long, and I was looking forward to an epic similar to Bless the Martyr's 5th track 'Pretty Soon, I Don't Know What, But Something Is Going To Happen' or 'And Then, Came Then', off The Chariot's first album. Instead, I got another 3 minute song with 3 minutes of acceptably interesting noise at the end. It's not terrible, but I felt let down. Those 3 minutes the song lasts, however, are 3 of the best minutes on the album.

Secondly, I'm not a huge fan of the other members of The Chariot having vocal parts. They do fine and all, but compared to Scogin they don't add much to the songs. I know it has to happen to get all the lyrics in live, and I really don't mind all that much, I'm just pointing it out.

In short, it's a solid album with moments of brilliance. I'm thrilled with the release and believe that most metal fans would not regret adding it to their collection.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]