Safety Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Adele Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

5.0 out of 5 stars Well designed & built -- prefer these to my Rick Steves cubes, February 16, 2011
This review is from: eBags Medium Packing Cubes - 3pc Set (Apparel)
After 25 years of international business travel, I only recently discovered packing cubes. Honestly, I thought they were a gimmick until I tried them. If you take trips where you're moving to a different city/hotel every couple of days, packing cubes are terrific, as they let you "unpack without unpacking" -- i.e., you can remove the cubes to get at your stuff, but still repack your suitcase in under a minute the next morning just by popping all the cubes back in place. They also keep items (especially business shirts) neater, and they're very handy when a security screener needs to go through your bag. My packing cubes paid for themselves the first time I had to go through a secondary security screening at the airport.

In terms of specific brands and models of packing cubes, I prefer the eBags medium-sized cubes over the Rick Steves cubes. Two of the eBags medium cubes fit perfectly side-by-side in a typical 21" carry-on roller-style suitcase (e.g., the eBags TLS mini or the Rick Steves 21" carry-on roller, both of which I use), whereas the Rick Steves smaller cubes leave a lot of extra space on the sides. Also, the eBags cubes are shorter (about 3" vs. 5" for the Rick Steves cubes). Personally, I prefer to use more of the shorter cubes, with different types of items in each cube (e.g., shirts in one cube, underwear in another, etc.), rather than stuffing a lot of different stuff into a larger cube.

Having said that, packing style is a matter of personal preference, and others may prefer the deeper and smaller Rick Steves cubes, so the real question is quality and durability. Both the eBags and the Rick Steves cubes are well made, and the zippers on both work well. I think the eBags cubes will be more durable over time, though. The Rick Steves cubes are mesh on all sides. The eBags cubes use a very light, solid fabric (like parachute clothe) on the sides and bottom, with mesh on the top so you can see what's in the cube. I think the parachute cloth (which is reinforced with mesh) will last much better than pure mesh, and it doesn't get snagged on things as easily. The fabric doesn't add any discernible weight relative to all mesh, as far as I can tell. I also like the handles on the eBags cubes -- nice feature.

Whichever brand you get, it's worth the investment. Packing cubes really do make travel easier. My only wish is that they weren't so expensive.

UPDATE 4 July 2012: When I wrote the above review, I speculated that the eBags cubes would be more durable. Sure enough, the mesh of the Rick Steves packing cube has torn around one of the seams, but the eBags cubes (which I've used more heavily) are still going strong with no signs of wear.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 19, 2012 6:43:08 PM PST
A. Mills says:
I particularly appreciate your comparison of the mesh-sided cubes with the parachute-material cubes. The packing consequences of the medium vs smaller sized cubes is useful too, thanks. Do you find that a medium cube can hold a folded men's t-shirt ok... I mean, folded in the same way that shops fold them flat for display-shelves, not like you'd "fold" a t-shirt for a backpacking trip?

Posted on Feb 23, 2012 8:35:30 PM PST
Howard says:
Your review is 100% spot on. We have every size of the Ebag cubes. Love them all. NOT ONCE have we had a tear or zipper break! Also agree the medium size is very good for carry on. We use the large size for jeans and other pants. I will say that the small size is useful for smaller items such as socks, underwear.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2013 11:46:38 PM PDT
The medium cube can hold 6 long sleeve dress shirts.

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2013 7:15:02 AM PDT
Ronsiajaixp says:
I have the small medium and large set of these. Depends on your shirt sizes, I'd say if you are a medium to a small large they will fit fine, I wear an extra large and ended up folding my shirts in half and rolling them.

Posted on Jun 3, 2013 7:45:51 AM PDT
Emily says:
Okay, I'm showing my ignorance here, but this is my first introduction to eBags Packing Cubes. I'd like to know what the advantage is to using the cubes versus just packing your suitcase. Wouldn't it take up more room packing the same amount of clothes? I'd really appreciate some help/advice on this as we will be traveling for a couple weeks in a few months. Thank You.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2013 4:52:53 AM PDT
A. Mills says:
Yeah, it does seem counter-intuitive, doesn't it. My personal theory is that the packing cube keeps sub-sets of your clothes lightly compressed. By using packing cubes, you are really packing a few units of pre-compressed clothes (lightly compressed) so more can fit in. In fact the fact that I was able to pack more clothes into my bag did increase my risk of going over my baggage weight limit. I think that if I just made a big, neat pile of the same number of clothes but without using a packing cube, the process of trying to compress all of them at once using the lid of my suitcase would cause the pile to distort and the compression wouldn't be evenly distributed through the pile.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 6, 2013 4:00:55 PM PDT
Emily says:
A. Mills: Thank you for your response. It does make sense now that it would save space and make for more efficient packing. Will definitely get a set or two.

Posted on Jan 3, 2014 3:06:58 AM PST
Happy holidays. Thank you for the great review. Am I able to attach a small padlock to the zipper ends?? Thank you.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 16, 2014 6:22:42 AM PDT
L. K. Muller says:
the t shirt would need to be folded one more time to fit into a medium cube...I fold them the same as shirts then roll them, easily fit 5 XXl t shirts n a medium cube that way

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 16, 2014 6:24:43 AM PDT
L. K. Muller says:
the cubes really make a difference, I've been suing them full time for 12 years. I can pack for 5 days in a 22" roller using cubes, never could fit that much before using them.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›