4.0 out of 5 stars Corrected and slightly enhanced revision of 2012, December 23, 2012
This review is from: First Aid for the USMLE Step 1 2013 (First Aid USMLE) (Paperback)
So being the compulsive person that I am about purchasing books asap for my coursework and USMLE studying, my mom purchased the Kindle version of this book and gifted it to me so I would not have to wait until Jan to get it. After going through a lot of the sections, it appears that the 2012 errors I checked were corrected and some of the images were slightly improved but not all of them. Some of the info has been slightly shifted around a page or two but Embryo section is now placed within the appropriate Organ System. This is much better because I apparently had overlooked the section entirely in 2012 when studying systems due to it being a separate section. I have not been through the entire book yet. Overall, it appears to almost be exactly the same as 2012 but with corrected errors....hopefully this book will not end up having as many errata.

UPDATE:
Kindle Edition runs terribly slow once you get past certain sections of the book. Kindle app sometimes crashes. I am using a Google Nexus 7 32GB to run. Perhaps it would have been best to get the actual book instead of wasting money on an electronic version that is sub-par.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 25, 2012 11:23:19 AM PST
student says:
Hey would you say the content has changed greatly between the 2011( if you have any of the previous FA versions) and 2013? I've been using my 2011 to study from and am currently a 2nd year, not sure if I should purchase the 2013 if not too much has changed.
Thanks!

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 12:50:49 PM PST
Kidd32 says:
In regards to your update - I have emaled McGraw Hill and I hope we can resolve this loading issue. It would have been horrible to find this out a month or two before the boards.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 5:29:48 AM PST
S.M.H. says:
Thanks! Please keep me posted if you can!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 5:33:17 AM PST
S.M.H. says:
I apologize for the delay. I would say that the 2013 is very similar to 2012 with a few things shifted around some better images of the same things. 2012 was a complete change from 2011 as far as layout and color and making the book more "pretty" to look at. I have classmates (2nd year) in my school that still use 2011 because it seems more conducive to their learning. I would suggest picking up a copy of someone else's 2012 and comparing it to your 2011 to see if you would like the 2013 version which for the most part has made the corrections from the 2012 errata for the sections that I have previewed.

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 9:19:30 AM PST
scv123 says:
The information in First Aid overall remains the same despite the edition. They might arrange the text into charts or shift some things here and there but overall the info is the same. But try to make sure your edition is not more than 3 years old, if it is then flip thru the current edition and make the appropriate changes.. But don't forget the q bank because that is a must!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2013 6:32:06 AM PST
Hammad S says:
Which q bank are you talking about?

Posted on Jan 25, 2013 11:20:37 PM PST
P.H. says:
I made the mistake of ignoring this review and purchased the Kindle edition anyway... After page 200 or so, it just became too slow. Pages loaded after a minute even on my laptop. Be careful with the Kindle version.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2013 9:21:25 AM PST
The 2013 version is vastly superior to 2011. The integrated color photos on the pages is the biggest improvement (implemented in 2012) because you see the image right next to the description rather than having to flip to another page and see it in a different context. Also, the full color printing is so much better than the black and white 2011 version.

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2013 12:08:50 AM PDT
H. Mai says:
Yeah 2013 is superior but make sure u cross reference with 2011 - HUGE INCONVENIENCE right now while I'm studying. In micro, they decided to take out many of the best mnemonics despite no changes in research or any other reason. They also removed some pathogens and added some. Off the top of my head but make sure u check others:

Trichinosis is not there
Bacteriostatic vs bactericidal is not there
others....