Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEM

4.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly Informative Resource for Churches and Families, July 23, 2010
This review is from: The Complete Christian Guide to Understanding Homosexuality: A Biblical and Compassionate Response to Same-Sex Attraction (Paperback)
As a mother whose family has been affected by homosexuality, I've been looking forward to reading this book. It took me a little while to finish, not only because it's lengthy, but because it covers so many subjects. All in all I'd say Dallas, Heche and the other authors have provided the first one-stop "WalMart" for people wanting comprehensive information about homosexuality, especially from a Christian perspective. And it really is written that way. It stresses a high regard for scripture from cover to cover, and every theory or idea it promoted was backed Biblically.

You'll get a lot out of this book if you're someone who wants to better understand homosexuality, or if you're someone who wants to be in better shape to talk about this subject. All the bases are covered, and I mean all. It has chapters on gay marriage, witnessing to homosexuals, counseling homosexual men and women, gays in the military, gay school programs, dealing with homosexual sons or daughters, AIDS, hate crimes, gay theology and more. Joe Dallas and Nancy Heche wrote most of the chapters, but there are some good contributions from other writers as well.

For me, the most helpful chapters were the ones that teach the reader how to dialogue. There's one on Terms and Definitions, for example, and one on Refuting Pro Gay Theology, that are extremely useful if you want to talk or even argue with someone who holds a pro-gay viewpoint.(See Dallas' book The Gay Gospel?: How Pro-Gay Advocates Misread the Bible There are also more technical chapters written from either a psychological or philosophical perspective.

I especially liked the way the book is formatted. Each chapter is followed by a section outlining its main points, and a list of other resources to check into, which made this a little bit like a textbook. But it's thorough without being boring. In fact, I thought the introduction was moving.

Some of the chapters were a little short, especially the ones on gay teens, and the one on how to respond to a gay parent. But all in all, this is the most informative book I've ever read on homosexuality, and any pastor or counselor who cares at all about this will do well to pick this book up. The first two chapters on The Church in Crisis, and the last chapter titled How Then Should We Respond are worth the price of the whole book!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 27, 2010 8:54:05 AM PDT
"As a mother whose family has been affected by homosexuality," you might wish to read the book, "Prayers for Bobby," and leave this fundamentalist tripe in the dark ages where it belongs.

Posted on Sep 3, 2010 8:10:43 AM PDT
"It stresses a high regard for scripture from cover to cover, and every theory or idea it promoted was backed Biblically. "

We've learned alot about homosexuality since the Bible was written nearly 2000 years ago. How about we base our ideas about homosexuality on the truths revealed by science instead of moralistic superstitions, condemnations, and prejudices arrived at through the ignorance of ancient peoples ?

Posted on Jan 7, 2011 8:27:13 PM PST
Hmm, my family has also been "affected by homosexuality", but in my family, we just refer to me by using my name rather than this obnoxious "homosexual" label. Christian fundies, please stop calling us names - we don't like it when you call us "homosexual" because it is always an insult. Just use the names our families gave us when we were born. Thank you!

Posted on Aug 23, 2011 3:54:52 PM PDT
Excellent review, Marie! Ignore the rude remarks by the previous three commentors. It's obvious they have an "agenda" which is to speak to their hate of God, the Bible, and all things Christlike. Jesus warned us in advance about those who because they hated Him first, will also hate us. These people are a prime example of that.

Even though we have loving Christian writers and counselors who's motivation is to guide the mis-guided into the truth as provided in Scripture, we will continue to endure persecution from those outside.

Again, an excellent review. And based upon it I will gladly purchase this book in order that I can be more knowledgeable of the truth and how to work with the "wayward." Thanks Marie!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2012 1:06:47 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 20, 2012 1:07:24 PM PST
Christ would weep for your hatred and stupidity. HE didn't care, and if you truly cared to walk in his footsteps, you would love your fellow human beings and get off your Scriptural high-horse. This is truly the "Wal-Mart" of books - packed with cheap junk, bought happily by people who don't see it's killing them, and the harm it does to those around them.
May God have mercy on your soul.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2013 12:25:53 AM PDT
james nelson says:
Wendyl Leslie, you are not being persecuted. Your comments are insulting. After you read the book, you will be so misguided that it will be hard for you to get on the right track again. The book is an insult.

Posted on Sep 14, 2013 12:32:06 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 14, 2013 12:34:17 PM PDT
E. Elizabeth says:
Your use of the word "affected" betrays your bigoted and damaging anti-gay, homophobic nature. Of course you found this book helpful, it just regurgitates all the negative, gay-bashing tripe I'm sure you've heard year after year from the pulpit. But being able to say you've read a "compassionate" book on gays in the church makes you feel like you can say you're not a prejudiced faux-Christian. Guess what, you still are. The most dangerous kind of bigot? The one who's convinced that he isn't.

Just, ugh.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2013 6:33:38 PM PDT
james nelson says:
I must say that you are very mistaken Wendy Leslie, very mistaken. Unless heterosexual Christians are willing to champion the call for justice and equality for GLBTQ people, it will be nearly imposable to say or prove that the church loves us. I got the book. I read the book. I threw it away.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›