Professional restaurant supplies Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer bschs2 bschs2 bschs2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

5.0 out of 5 stars It's not Better!, May 17, 2010
This review is from: The Pacific [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
First let me say that HBO, Steven Spielberg, and Tom Hanks deserve a standing ovation for making this epic piece of history. I just finished watching the last episode. Once I saw the first episode, I was mesmerized for the next 9 weeks! I scheduled everything on Sunday around watching "The Pacific".
Outstanding acting, incredible cinematography, great music score, realism that is scary! I'm running out of superlatives to use! It's not better, than BOB! It's just as good and just as heart warming, and gut wrenching as BOB. Both of these historical mini-series deserve equal credit. Don't let some of the reviews here influence your judgement not to watch it. Yes there are those that feel strongly about one or another, but I don't believe that was anyone's goal in making the Pacific. I believe, especially Tom Hanks, just has this compelling, passionate desire to put both theaters of WWII in the minds of both, those that served and those of us who have not. The mellow drama movies of post WWII lead many of us who did not serve, to think about WWII as a hero's time in history. I would never discount any heroics which there are plenty to be seen, It's just that both of these series, Band of Brothers, and The pacific, set the stage for us to all share in the reality of war. Some reviewers here have commented on how there feelings were evoked while watching, In a few words, I felt like I was there each week, and each week after watching an episode, I would look at there reality and think about my past week, good or bad and feel proud to be an American Citizen!

I'm an aging baby boomer, 64, and my Father, who is 88, and still with us, was a ambulance driver on the front lines in Germany, France, and a few other countries. My father also suffered from some of the mental duress from his time served. With this Memorial Day Holiday upon us very soon, I would like to say a very sincere, Thank You, to ALL who have served in ALL the wars that have helped make the United States of America a country I'm still proud of.

Mr. Spielberg, and Mr. Hanks, Please do what ever you can to bring more of these fine mini-series covering the Korean War, the Viet-Nam War, and both Iraq, and Afghanistan Wars. They deserve your serious passion, commitment, and wonderful talents! My Mother was an English WWar II Bride, so let's just say Hip, Hip, Hooray!

I've already ordered my Blue-Ray release of "The Pacific"

Outstanding!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 15, 2010 6:08:10 PM PDT

Posted on Sep 19, 2010 10:51:47 PM PDT
If you want an excellent account of the invasion of Iraq and I mean the latest one... you need to check out "Generation Kill"! It is certainly on par with Band Of Brothers in every way. Talk about a fine mini-series depicting the current war in Iraq.. that would be it. bar none.. Everyone who is a Band Of Brothers fan or Pacific fan should see it.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2010 3:29:12 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 12, 2010 3:29:55 PM PDT
Arturo Nuno says:
You're such a tool Valderee.... You want perfect spelling then go read professional reviews. Ever herd of thai pose? Perfekt speling is not the endall beeall of getting your point akross on a public forum.

Thanks for the tip Geoffrey, I'm definitely checking out Gen. Kill. I kinda have to considering the way you just promoted it. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2010 4:04:36 PM PDT
Leon Kolenda says:
I never said I was a college graduate, Never made it out of the 8th grade. This is not a forum for college graduates, and it's not grammer school either.
It's a comment forum for a particular movie. I thought that your comment was Rude, out of place, and condescending. I know that was not taught in college!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2010 8:49:44 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 6, 2010 9:03:11 PM PDT
PC Nut says:
Leon: pay no attention to that "troll" Valderee. Unfortunately he (I assume the poster is a he) is just a product of the modern era where respect for elders is all but lost in many schools and in many families. Fortunately there are those like me who are still taught manners and respect for those older than us (and wiser than us).

If the last grade you completed was 7th, then you are one up on my late grandfather who only had a 6th grade education. He was forced to go to work as a youth to support his mother and younger siblings - after his father was killed working on a railroad. Later he served as a US Army sniper in WWII (I now have the German Luger he took off a Storm Trooper he shot).

So, point being, thanks for your review (and spoiler free!) and God Bless both you and your father. We lost our WWII grandfather just a few years ago. I have three college degrees, many career oriented and professional certifications including a commercial pilot's license, and still don't have the reasoning, experience, and wisdom of my 6th grade educated grandfather. There are many, *many* things you just can't learn from reading books, writing case essays, taking oral and written exams, and giving presentations.

Posted on Nov 6, 2010 10:02:35 PM PDT
Thank you PC Nut!

Some people are into the structure rather than the content. It's amazing how my father and some of the other WWII vets that I have spoken to can tell you about there War experience like it was yesterday!, That means to me that it was very impacting to them, and ther need to share it. History keeps us aware to hopefully keep the past from repeating it's self.

Thank you for your kind comments.

Leon

Posted on Nov 7, 2010 11:33:13 AM PST
John Graham says:
Nice review Leon and please thank your Father for me.

Posted on Nov 17, 2010 5:27:50 AM PST
Greg Rivers says:

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2010 9:10:18 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 17, 2010 9:10:55 AM PST
Leon Kolenda says:
It's based on a true accounts of past soldiers experience, I'm sure with a little of hollywood thrown in. Mr. Rivers, I really don't think this was made as a documentary. I don't get your Anti-American. Emarrassment, not on your life!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2010 7:10:59 AM PST