5.0 out of 5 stars The Power of Amazon Reviews....., January 2, 2008
This review is from: Cuisinart CPC-600 1000-Watt 6-Quart Electric Pressure Cooker, Brushed Stainless and Matte Black (Kitchen)
First, I was a pressure cooker nut from before. I used my mother's 1930/40's Presto's until I couldn't get seals for them. When I saw this digital pressure cooker I bought it instantly. I loved it so much that I gave one to my daughter, my sis and my sis-in-law, (we're all foodies). I was cooking stuff I hadn't made in years. We ate like kings! All of a sudden, caput. I get online and search and right there on Amazon, Bobby Mac "Micronaut101" describes my very own problem! So no more trying to make the bloody thing work! I call the Cuisinart 800 number prepared to go the distance according to the reviews I've read and I describe my problem, how much I love the machine, how I've seen the problem reported on Amazon and therefore it's a known quality issue and I want a new machine. OK, she says, what's your address? No "did you send in a warranty" or anything else. Bingo, 7 - 10 days I'll have a new pressure cooker. How cool is that? Oh, and "We're sorry for the inconvenience. Have a great day." Yehaa! Let's hear it for Amazon and reviews!

[[editing review as of 6/4/09: pressure sensor wouldn't set pressure and pressure cooking wouldn't start. Cooker would get to boiling but pressure wouldn't lock the cooker and begin cooking. Little red button wouldn't come up to close opening. I would wiggle the button with a skewer or knife point to get it to pop up to close pressure hole. Hope this helps.]]

And I'm writing this so that others who may get one of those recalcitrant pressure cookers that slipped through the quality assurance check can know that they will get a new pressure cooker with the press of the number buttons. Cuisinart has decided to stand behind this one product, at least.

BTW, all of us are previous users of pressure cookers so we really appreciated the ability to sear the meat in the cooker. My family has used the Cuisinart cookbook for the pasta e Fagioli, Cuban Black Bean Soup, Chicken with Herb Dumplings and the "outstanding" Creamy Rice Pudding" And, in fact, the Rice pudding cooked so quickly that my sis didn't think it was done when the timer went off and over cooked it! Her second batch was superb. We also like Lorna Sass's "Cooking Under Pressure" and "Pressure Perfect"

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 2, 2008 8:55:18 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 2, 2008 8:56:20 AM PST
PKRCKR says:
I followed your directions however customer service charged $10 to ship the replacement and told me I was responsible for return shipping. Still preferable to a non functioning device.Thanks!

Posted on Apr 25, 2009 6:19:38 AM PDT
Hi I would be heplfull if she would have told what the problem was.

Posted on Jun 29, 2009 1:12:12 PM PDT
did any of the folks you gifted with this cooker have the same problems as you had?

Posted on Oct 7, 2009 8:00:48 PM PDT
I just tried making the creamy rice pudding and it leaked all over my counter. I'm sure I did something wrong, but can't figure out what as I seem to have followed the recipe and instructions for assembling the machine. I would appreciate any advice you may have in making this dish.

Posted on Dec 27, 2009 11:17:30 AM PST
NewsView says:
RE: Mrs. Sinclair

Cuisinart offers a generous three year warranty, I believe. They are legally obligated to live up to it during that period, if you can provide proof of purchase. Hence, I'm not surprised to learn they were helpful. Generally it's after the warranty is up that all the problems with customer service departments crop up. On a related note, I'm always shocked when I see people throwing out everything from pricey BUNN coffee makers to electric carving knives that go on the fritz under warranty. They don't take it back to the store in many cases, either, because they immediately throw out the box and the receipt (Hint: staple your sales receipt to the product manual and stow it away at least for 1 year, the length of a standard product warranty). Besides the obvious -- the wasted money and the disappointment -- how else is a manufacturer supposed to learn if there is a "known" quality issue, if people write reviews on Macy's, Target or Amazon and throw it in a landfill without seeking warranty coverage or even attempting to do a return or exchange at the store (if under 30 days)?

Kudos to you for calling Cuisinart and proving that it can be done.

Posted on Feb 14, 2011 9:23:46 AM PST
Are you supposed to take the lid apart to clean it?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 13, 2011 9:47:38 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 13, 2011 9:48:01 AM PDT
M. Saavedra says:
Yes, you're supposed to take the top off to clean it and the seal. If you made messy things like black beans you'd see the build up very quickly.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2011 7:46:16 PM PDT
Carver Nebbe says:
maybe you overloaded you cooker... it shouldn't be more than half way

Posted on Dec 26, 2011 8:26:57 PM PST
R. Jimenez says:
Does this pressure cooker have a steam feature?

Posted on Jul 10, 2012 9:21:08 AM PDT
Our inlaws had a similar problem with their unit, but only after someone poured liquid into its guts (not realizing the pot part was absent). Also, if you store the unit latched down (the manual mentions this) the seal gets compressed and is reluctant to seal (just boils) until it can relax back into shape. Always store it with the cover loose.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›