Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon Sixx AM Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer bschs2 bschs2 bschs2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Mid-range Utility Laptop, December 4, 2012
This review is from: Acer Aspire V3-571G-6407 15.6-Inch Laptop (Black) (Personal Computers)
My old faithful home-built tower PC finally stopped working the week of Thanksgiving, which conveniently worked out for some Cyber Monday shopping. Aside from the automatic star from my wife for any laptop that allowed me to stop borrowing hers, I have been pleasantly surprised with this computer.

The i5 processor has blown through installing all my old programs. This has been one of the fastest re-setups I have had in a while. I ran through a batch of video rendering and compression to give it a good test run. I knew that it should run much faster than my old single core system, but I had a reduction in runtime of around 70%, which was more than I was expecting.

My days of hardcore gaming have passed, but I still play around every week or so. The system had no trouble running Civilization V and Neopolian: Total War at close to max video settings. I did get some long processing time on the larger maps for CivV, but I think that is to be expected. Good screen size, average screen resolution. The dedicated video card was a big plus when I bought this system, and it worked well for the games I have. I would recommend this as a great budget systems for games or for a gamer who wants to play the old games he has laying around.

Not overly heavy at 5 lbs. I like the full size keyboard with a numpad, again great for gaming. I have not had the problems that the other reviews have had with the touchpad, but I use a wireless mouse most of the time. Speakers have good volume and quality for built in speakers. Not a lot of bloatware pre-installed like a lot of systems I have bought. Wildtangent had to go but some of the others actually look useful.

I could not end this review without talking about Windows 8. The jury is still out for me, and since I have a license for Win7 that is not being used, I may revert. But I am going to give it some more time first. The Start tile screen freaked me out at first, but once I got to the desktop tile I felt much better. Once there everything runs pretty normally. For all those on the fence because this laptop has Win8, the old desktop look and feel is still there if you want it to be. Do not let that hold you back if you like the rest of the specs.

This is my second Acer laptop. I have had three HPs, a Toshiba, a Dell and a Sony. My past Acer has been reliable as most of the laptops I have owned and much better than the year my Dell ran before the motherboard blew. I will have to update later if any problems develop on this one.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-1 of 1 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 6, 2012 1:29:51 PM PST
You may want to take a look at the following link: http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

The option to "re-introduce" the Start button and boot directly into Desktop mode has made the whole Windows 8 experience great! You still have access to the Stat Menu when you want it, but you are not forced to explicitly use it.

By the way, I was in the same situation as you, desktop PC took a nose dive, decided to replace it with a laptop (this very same one) and wanted one that could play some modern games now and then. Overall, and since installing Start8, this laptop has met or exceeded all expectations!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›