1.0 out of 5 stars I love the movie but this DVD is seriously flawed, October 2, 2007
This review is from: The Jungle Book (Two-Disc 40th Anniversary Platinum Edition) (DVD)
I picked this DVD up today and got it home to find that Disney had altered the original theatrical aspect ratio of 1.33:1 to make the movie "fit" on widescreen TVs. They did this by chopping off the top and bottom of the image. This results in the loss of a good deal of character animation (at least the tops of their heads and their feet). Trust me, I own the original Limited Issue DVD of this film and I did a side-by-side comparison as soon as I got the new Platinum Edition home. If you are a purist about original aspect ratios, please avoid this release and petition Disney to start a free disc replacement program. We should at least have the option of watching the original unaltered film the way that it was meant to be seen.
***NOTE: There are now user images that can be viewed for this product that illustrate the cropping discussed in my review.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 39 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 2, 2007 7:36:14 PM PDT
Alamo2 says:
Actually, this film was presented in a widescreen format when it was released in 1967. Matting does take away a little on the top and bottom, but this version is the way it was seen in the theatres. And for all that, it is a beautiful rendition, with near perfect colors and sharp contrast.

Posted on Oct 2, 2007 9:47:29 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Oct 23, 2007 4:50:39 PM PDT]

Posted on Oct 2, 2007 10:02:55 PM PDT
I agree, Disney should have offered both versions of the movie, the cropped "Widescreen" vesion and the original "Full Frame" version in which the movie was animated.
Remember, Walt Disney was thinking television when he designed this. And some theaters DID show it full frame! That is the way I saw "Jungle Book" and "101 Dalmations".

Posted on Oct 2, 2007 10:04:43 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 12, 2014 12:57:24 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2007 4:58:14 AM PDT
I'm not necessarily complaining about the fact that I bought it as much as I'm complaining about the fact that Disney cropped the picture at all. I would be upset whether I had purchased it or not. I'm just saying that Disney should have included both versions.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2007 5:01:49 AM PDT
I agree that the video quality is a vast improvement over the previous release as are the bonus features. However, it would have been nice if both the cropped and full versions were included. If the Mona Lisa had been displayed with a significant portion the top and bottom cut off because it fit better in a frame that way, people would probably still want to have the option of seeing the entire painting. I regard classic Disney animation as art and I'd like to see every bit of it that I possibly can.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2007 7:33:56 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 4, 2007 7:40:34 PM PDT
IMHO says:

Posted on Oct 4, 2007 7:36:08 PM PDT
IMHO says:
Michael, thanks for posting the image to illustrate what you are referring to re: the cropping. All the technical discussion just confused me. I agree, it would have been nice if Disney offered the option of widescreen vs. the other aspect ratio (don't they usually do that?). Still, I love this movie.

Posted on Oct 5, 2007 12:19:15 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 5, 2007 12:44:08 AM PDT
G.G. says:
I have the laserdisc but I want this dvd for the extras on disc 2. Maybe I'll just see if I can rent the LE version from Blockbuster and this version for disc 2. I don't think I want to buy this version, not even a previously viewed copy at $6.50. Maybe you should start a petiton mbaker. Disney might come out with another version. They most likely will come out with another version but that one will be in Blue Ray format.

Posted on Oct 5, 2007 4:21:05 PM PDT