Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

3.0 out of 5 stars Comical and eye-opening look at the making of a surgeon, April 25, 2011
This review is from: In Stitches (Hardcover)
I'm sure Anthony Youn could tell many riveting, funny stories about being a plastic surgeon, but what gems he has about the road to becoming one!

Obviously, a success beyond even what his father dreamt for him - with a thriving practice and multiple appearances on television and now a book - how Youn got to where he is today is loaded with anecdotes. In Stitches moved fast through Youn's childhood, college, and med school days, with two continuous themes: his path to surgery (set for him by his strict but loving father) and his very bumpy road to find love. Okay, actually, not love, just, in his words "to get laid."

From having his enormous jaw broken as a teen and reset (ouch!) and being repeatedly rejected by women (double ouch!), I felt for the self-deprecating and personable Youn. I cringed often and at one point just cried when he tells of The Moment when he knew he would be a surgeon - witnessing a terribly disfigured victim brought into the emergency room. While this was an important moment, Youn, however, doesn't tell the aftermath. Was the surgery successful? What ever happened to the victim?

It's hard to pick my favorite part of the book as each stage of Youn's life towards becoming a surgeon is full of fascinating moments ranging from wierd to wierder. Here's a snippet of one the stranger interviews he went for his residency which had me, yes, in stitches. And remember, this interview was conducted by a doctor - someone who holds people's lives in his hands --- scary!

"An attending surgeon leads me into his office. He stands behind his desk and stares at me. I don't know whether to sit, so I don't. I face him, shifting my weight nervously, waiting for him to give me some indication of how to proceed. Finally, he points to a chair. We sit simultaneously. He reaches behind him and places on his desk a sculpture of three monkeys in "See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil" pose.

"He claps his hands. 'IT'S MONKEY TIME!' He shouts.

"I practically fly out of my chair.

"'It's MONKEY TIME!'" he screams again, then says quietly, "Discuss." He places a stopwatch next to the monkey sculpture. 'You have thirty seconds to impress me...Doctor.' He clicks on the stopwatch.

"How the hell do I get out of here?"

An aspect of the memoir that disturbed me was Youn's seeming aversion to his own Asian-ness. When he first goes to med school in Michigan, he is horrified to find the halls full of other Asians (where are all the white people?!) and his dorm smelling like Thai food. The sense of irony in these scenes aren't as clear, especially coupled with his continuous mimicry of his Korean father's accented English for comic effect. An interesting thing to explore would be if his career as a plastic surgeon might be related to an underlying psychological need to re-make his Asian-ness.

Otherwise, In Stitches is a Scrubs-style look into the making of a surgeon - comical, poignant and eye-opening.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 1, 2011 9:16:12 AM PDT
GRMI Billie says:
I'm not sure that Youn had an "aversion" to being Asian. Remember that he spent his life being the "only" Asian in his high school and community. Being thrown into a dorm full of Asians must have been overwhelming considering his background. I found it interesting that MSU would isolate the Asians to one building. Would they also isolate all African American students to one building, too?

Overall, it was a fun read the book and readers reaction to the book!

In reply to an earlier post on May 1, 2011 5:51:37 PM PDT
joyful says:
I'm sorry, I don't understand that last sentence. Are you perhaps missing a punctuation mark or two?

I neither know about nor control the dorm policy at MSU. If you have concerns about racial segregation, perhaps you had better address it to the appropriate authorities at that institution.

I too was one of a handful of Asians in my high school and community but I did not, upon going to college look at all the Asians on the UC Berkeley campus with the following reaction:

"Asians. Every one of them... What kind of place is this? I prowl the halls in search of Caucasians. I see none. Not one. I'm only asking for one lousy non-Asian." (Page 62 of ARC.)

In fact, I count Caucasians, Asians, and blacks among my close friends. What a very different outcome for two Asians raised in heterogenous communities!

I find it curious that Youn pretty much made every Asian he encountered at that school disgusting, a nympho, or utterly pathetic. I can only comment on the strong impression that I got upon reading this book. I would be curious to hear what Youn himself has to say. But perhaps, ala Scott Adams, I already have?

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2011 10:38:19 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 22, 2011 10:40:31 AM PDT
Lighten up, Stephanie. This book was a delight to read, cover to cover. If you are looking to be offended, you will be. This, I am certain, was not Tony's intention.

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2011 10:40:41 AM PDT
joyful says:
Sorry, Jeff, I'm as brown as can be.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›