3.0 out of 5 stars Hard Core User - Business Analyst Review, April 6, 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Logitech io Personal Digital Pen (Personal Computers)
BACKGROUND:
I use this tool everyday in my work as an IT Business Analyst. I write between 100 and 300 pages of handwritten notes per month - not including those captured on my laptop. My writing includes meeting notes, requirements, process workflows (data and business), planning, ideas, etc. I've been using the product for 3 months.
MY REQUIREMENTS:
#1 - Stop Rework: eliminate re-typing critical handwritten notes into my laptop.
#2 - Easier Access: file notes electronically instead of trying to find notes in the voluminous stacks of folders I'm forced to create and maintain.
#3 - Portablity: need to have my notes with me at all times to be able to recall information quickly.
#4 - Information Sharing: distribute much needed detail information gathered to all parties involved in a project. Provide critical reference information about a project for those who are tasked with future enhancement or maintenance on the software products / services that were developed.
PRODUCT REVIEW:
#1 Stop Rework:
Greatly reduced the amount of re-typing for non-critical information I capture - i.e. information not widely distributed.
For my purposes, notes captured that require wide distribution, need to be converted to text so recipients can read them. The product makes the claim that MyScript Notes will convert words and diagrams into text and objects. The text / object conversion is completely (100%) unusable. It actually takes much longer to make corrections to a 'text/object-converted' page than to completely rewrite the document from the beginning.
#2 Easier Access:
Big improvement. Allows the user to name documents, create folder structures within the IO software and store documents in one place.
#3 Portablity:
If you have a laptop - your notes go with you. For me - this has been a big advantage. I have my formal documents (e.g. Scope, Requirements, Workflow documents, etc.) composed on my laptop and my additional notes with me at all times.
#4 Information Sharing:
Good for team members who you work with daily - i.e. they get used to reading your handwriting. Unusable for distributing to a wider audience because the text/object recoginition is ususable - (i.e. unprofessional sending handwritten notes, users have trouble reading, not good for future reference documents).
SUMMARY:
I call this product a 'Poor Man's Tablet PC.' I continue to use it everyday because it has helped me stop to piles of paper I used to have to organize and store. I have everything in one place now - on my laptop, where I need it. I held off purchasing the IO Pen when it first came out until 'text/object' recognition was available. When it did become available - I bought it. I couldn't have been more disappointed with this critical feature (text/object recognition), and have vehemently let both Logitech and MyScript know about the critical requirement to make this feature usable - no action to date. If they solve this problem - it will be hard for me to justify the need for a Tablet PC.

[Add comment]