3.0 out of 5 stars Not really for me..., September 24, 2012
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Guild Wars 2 (Video Game)
I played during closed beta and all of the open beta weekends. As the beta progressed, I began to realize that this was not an MMORPG for me. I really really wanted to like this game, so I decided to purchase it as well. Unfortunately, not much has changed gameplay-wise since closed beta.

I have played MMORPGs since 1998, and I primarily get my enjoyment out of them through acquiring new armor/weapons. I enjoy progressing my character seeing my character look more badass as he levels up, and it has always been my motivation for leveling up. However, GW2 does not cater to this type of player. This may be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on your opinion. Stats on loot are relatively negligible and most armor is essentially cosmetic (this is a slight simplification of the system, but holds true compared to other MMORPGs). This is not really a surprise, since GW1 ran under a similar model. I guess I was hoping things would be different. I don't want to give the impression I'm a hardcore gamer. I've never really raided much or anything like that, but I guess I felt like there was no motivation to level up. You can compete PvP and WvWvW from level 1, you unlock the majority of your skills in the first 10 levels, your armor is largely cosmetic, and your character is scaled to the local content (so if you're level 50, but want to level in the level 1 - 15 zones, you can still get your ass handed to you). The end result, for me at least, was little motivation to play.

With that being said, if you enjoy MMORPGs, I would definitely still recommend buying it, as it is a well polished game. Also, since it doesn't have a monthly fee, you can easily get your money's worth even if you only play a couple months. However, if your primary drive for playing MMORPGs is leveling and character development, this game may leave more to be desired. Unfortunately, it wasn't for me.

Edit (12/10/12): It looks like, from reading other reviews, that this game has changed quite a bit since I wrote the review. It sounds now like they have added a gear grind to the game. I can't really comment because I don't play anymore, but my review is now slightly out of date.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 31 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 29, 2012 4:26:41 PM PDT
Dellago says:
Regarding the down-votes... trolls will always be trolls. You left an honest and objective review, thanks!

Posted on Oct 2, 2012 9:53:26 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 2, 2012 10:01:34 PM PDT
Jim says:
Thanks for the review. I too like a game that rewards you for leveling up your skill and armor so that you can easily conquer the NPC that are lower level, lower armor. I feel you. I would be slightly anoyed at spending a significant amount of time leveling / armoring my toon up and then later returning to the starting grounds and being scalled down to entry level to fight a level 1 character. It takes the pride of work you put in to your character element out of the game somewhat.

I think that the designers of GW2 are trying to eleminate the {I have better armor and am higher leveled} mentality from the game to make it a more equal playing field accross the board. I am still on the fence about getting the game, although I must admit that just from the reviews alone I am leaning towards yes :).

I might write a similar review when I am done with my assesment, but hopefully some of the other elements will outweigh this small one. We shall see!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2012 8:55:56 AM PDT
Joe says:
Yeah, I definitely think that was their intention. They wanted a game that was more about "skill" and less about loot, which is commendable, but I think it was poorly implemented.

I'd say it's worth getting if you have the money. Chances are you'll still get at least a couple months of enjoyment out of it, which is probably worth the money. It'll probably be a while before the price drops on the game since it's fairly popular.

Posted on Oct 3, 2012 3:26:50 PM PDT
Calvin0416 says:
Good honest review!

Posted on Oct 4, 2012 10:43:58 AM PDT
J. W. Hill says:
I disagree that you unlock a majority of your skills in the first 10 levels. You may unlock all your profession's mechanic and skill SLOTS, and if you work at it your weapon skills in the first 10 levels, but with a couple of dozen healing/utility/elite (plus racial) skills per profession, which are tiered, and a trait point system, which is tiered, there is plenty to unlock after level 10. My highest level is 43 right now, and I still have a few skills left to unlock (and more than half of my traits).

Also, I don't see why the down-leveling is a bad thing. To what benefit is it for you to be able to one-shot a half dozen level 5s at once? Sure it feels cool and powerful, however....
* It makes playing with low level friends no fun, because it's no challenge for either of you
* It ruins it for other low levels when you go through killing everything in sight in no time....even more important since things like Dynamic Events are shared content. I don't want to have to camp boss DEs because otherwise the bored 80s will burn it down in half a second.
* It opens up content. You can finish all your human stuff and still go back to Charr lands and do that content and have it be relevant and challenging.

Keep in mind, even though you are scaled back, you're still pretty powerful vs low level NPCs because you have more skills to utilize and more stat boosts through gear and trait points (even if scaled) than someone who is actually the level you're scaled to (like the NPCs).

Your argument about gear is fair though. If you prefer stat-focused gear over cosmetic-focused gear, this game may not be for you. Although the reason the devs had for this approach, I think, is a good one. But it plays to people's preferences whether or not they agree.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 6, 2012 10:32:08 AM PDT
Marcus says:
I prefer this method. I actually cannot even play MMO's anymore because of traditional methods. WoW is a huge example here (I was a 80 mage at lich king time with full Season 8 pvp gear). If I fought any class that was missing just one piece of season 8, he would lose, every single time. Usually would result in a insulting fest because he would say I have no skill yet we can't prove anything in a duel because my gear is better so I'm going to win, without question. It's a very frustrating mentality, especially because Season gear was the only gear I felt I earned, just because you're team had to have a good rating. But as far as PvE goes, every MMO that focuses on gear just feels like a grind (endless dungeons, raids etc ) just to find the piece you're missing, which usually gets ninja'd and you've just wasted a hour roughly of sitting in the back shooting (I play range classes). Another downside to this gear type system is the developers have to keep making new regions, since once you're roughly 10 levels higher than the region you can steam roll through the entire map without any problems. Using WoW as my example again, the entire main continent is a waste of time, Outlands, and even the non-80 regions in Lich King (when I played) were rendered useless.

I love the fact this down/up scales your stats and level according to the region. It still gives myself and friends that opportunity to explore new regions and still have a challenge. Especially when taking damage, I never feel that much stronger against a weaker opponent. And it goes without saying, the PvP system based on skill rather than gear I fully support. I actually feel proud when I drop an enemy in Spvp because it took skill and outsmarting him to actually kill the enemy. Gear based pvps result to what I mentioned before, especially in regular non-arena pvp in WoW were I could just one-shot lower geared 80's with simple instant casts. I know WoW isn't the only MMO that does this, but its the easiest one for people to relate to out of all the MMO's I've played, so that's why I use it.

Granted heavy-skill based games are for specific players (not usually for casuals but I think Anet does a great job at capturing that audience too). I know many don't like the standardized gear and the fact if someone is far more skilled, it's nearly impossible to kill him. But I love it, I like challenges and that's how I feel rewarded. Beating Dead Space 2 on Hardcore is my most cherished achievement, took hours of endless work but I got it haha. All opinions but I truly feel this is what MMO's need to do to get an edge in gaming, especially as I watch WoW basically kill itself on its latest developing.

P.S. Didn't down vote you're review because it's a structured review. I know some people do tend to down vote if you right out say it in the review you're expecting negative feedback, something to consider removing.

Posted on Oct 11, 2012 10:52:35 AM PDT
I prefer sandbox style like SWG pre-CU ect. and can't stand the WoW type run back and forth doing missions to level games. Sounds like this is more in the direct of WoW from the 100's of reviews I've read about it. Until there is a free trial for this game for me to judge it I'll stay clear, thanks for the Honest review!

Posted on Oct 21, 2012 5:26:48 PM PDT
Pecos Bill says:
Unfortunately up/down votes have nothing to do with helpful and everything to do with whether the reader agrees or not.

I disagree but still consider it helpful because I like the game for the reasons you dislike it, and I dislike the things you like. So basically your review is helpful, even though we totally disagree. I've never seen fun in a "loot grind". Either the game is fun or it's not. Getting a new pair of pants does not somehow make the game fun for me. WvW is a blast, even with all the problems it has, and the fact that gear progression is minor updates and mostly cosmetic means I don't have to "keep up with the Jonses". I can just play and have fun!

I agree that loot-centric gamers probably won't get more than a month or so of gameplay out of GW2. It's just not a game built around endless loot progression and stat upgrades. (Characters in WOW have literally 100x more hit points than they did 'back in my day'. Part of why I never went back to WOW is that after quitting for 6 months, you might as well be starting over because you'll be so far behind. I don't think GW2 will have that problem.)

Posted on Oct 25, 2012 1:09:33 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 25, 2012 1:14:56 PM PDT
Joe says:
You sound really mad. I played for months in closed beta and up until the point I wrote this review.. which was 1 month after release, I think?

Yes, I know all skills aren't obtained by level 10, but the weapon skills are. The key skills you obtain by skill points are all unlocked by 30 (yes, you still take time filling in the rest, but those are the skills that are less useful). In addition, if you do PvP, you get access to all the skills at level 1.

Sorry you don't agree with me, but for the type of player I am, GW2 does not fill its niche. I still don't dissuade people from purchasing it, in fact, I encourage them to because it's worth trying. It's just not one I'll be playing long term.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.7 out of 5 stars (579 customer reviews)

$39.99 $38.40