5.0 out of 5 stars Works with a DishNet 622DVR, December 30, 2011
This review is from: Actiontec My Wireless TV WiFi / HDMI Multi-Room Wireless HD Video Kit (Old version) (Electronics)
I bought this at Best Buy instead of Amazon (generally prefer Amazon) simply because I thought the odds were high that I would be returning it. I had called Actiontec prior to the purchase to ask about the compatibility with a DishNet VIP 622 DVR receiver and it was not on their approved or checked list as of yet. The DishNet receivers that they said it did work with were the 222K, 722K and the 922 Duo. Took a gamble that if had worked on those it had the potential to work on mine plus my next receiver will be either the 722K or 922.

Well it turns out it does work with the DishNet VIP622 DVR. I did not have to do the firmware update to make this happen however prior to installation I once again called tech support to ask about it. They said if I didn't have a picture when installed I would definitely have to do the upgrade but if the picture was good then don't worry about it.

One thing that puzzled the heck out of me once I started the installation was following their directions I disconnected the HDMI cable from the back of my satellite receiver but then I noticed that this was no ordinary HDMI cable. DishNet has a connection ( couple of pieces about 2" x 2" and flat) on that HDMI cable which performs a function for which I have no idea and I haven't called DishNet to find out. I made the decision to make that cable be the one that runs from the satellite receiver into the Actiontec Transmitter and then I used the Actiontec HDMI cable to go from the Transmitter to the nearby HD TV.

So the good news is that once I had everything hooked up and had my second HD TV on the proper HDMI input I had picture and sound. For about a minute I had some pixlation and a small pop in the sound and those both went away and after having it hooked up now for several hours and watching a variety of channels I have not seen anything but an excellent picture and sound. To be honest I couldn't even figure out what the remote control from Actiontec was for and my kit didn't have any instructions except for the laminated and folded quick set up guide. I went online and printed out the 34 page full instruction manual and then used the Actiontec remote control through the GUI graphical user interface on the second HD TV to see how strong my signal was. Lowest signal strength was shown and yet great picture. Theater mode was already selected which is what I would have selected and auto on the wireless channel to be used was already selected so really I could have never used the remote control and it wouldn't have mattered.

Where I have my second HD TV we use the provided DishNet UHF remote control to change channels on the satellite receiver and so I did not need to hook up the IR extender cables etc.

The distance between Transmitter and Receiver in my case is about 50 feet in a straight line with one wall although there is a large hallway which probably allows the wireless signal to be tranmitted. I purchased this product primarily for use in a fifth wheel trailer that we have ordered because the satellite receiver will sit approximately 15 feet from the HD TV set and the dealer was talking about trying to run a HDMI cable if I really wanted HD TV instead of standard definition. Since I am putting a DishNet Travelr 1000 on the trailer I know I will be getting full HD and want to see that on the HD TV. We had used the Dish Net Travelr 1000 on a previous trailer with great luck but in that case the satellite receiver and TV were co-located. I am making an assumption that in the fifth wheel trailer the signal strength to the Actiontec Receiver will be stronger due to less distance plus interior walls in a trailer are quite thin.

So now I can watch a full HD picture on a TV that previously has been fed standard definition signal. Huge difference and so worth it. One oddity that I have discovered is that on our primary HD TV located near the Transmitter the volume has changed. Say before we might have had the volume at a level of 25 now the volume is at a level of 10 to produce the same sound level. I suspect that the powered Transmitter possibly boosts the signal but don't know that for sure and don't care.

This is a relatively new product to the market but it fills a need I have and I think they have done a decent job with it. Customer support has been easy to get a live human on the line. If I experience any problems I will revisit this review for updates.

Okay one day later and there is an update to review. I had a small problem that I didn't even know I had. With my DishNet system I had to power on the satellite receiver first and then the primary TV or the one closest to the MyWireless Transmitter. Called support and was advised that a firmware update would resolve. Had to buy a thumb drive. Got a 4GB one which was overkill. Downloaded the update which was really quite simple. Performed the update after watching the online video. Very simple. Okay so everything works but here is the really odd part. If the satellite receiver is off and I turn the Sony TV on with the Sony TV remote I will get this grey/blank screen. I then have to turn off the TV turn off the satellite receiver and then turn on the satellite receiver first and then the TV. If I use the DishNet remote control it seems I can turn on the TV or the receiver first and it makes no difference. At any rate these seem to be very odd and possibly unique problems to my system. At no time have I yet had any problem streaming full HD to the second TV. Still happy with product.

Oh yeah one last comment. I did end up calling DishNet to inquire about the odd HDMI cable they had provided. Tech support thought it was one that had been provided possibly for an older receiver (mine is just over 5 years old) and she was not familiar with the HDMI cable I was describing. She said it would be fine to replace that HDMI cable with a new high speed cable if I wanted to. I did replace it. Don't see the picture as any better. Picture on both TV's about as good as I have ever seen.

[Add comment]