Best Books of the Month Shop Men's Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Janet Jackson All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Videos Amazon Gift Card Offer jrscwrld jrscwrld jrscwrld  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Fall Arrivals in Amazon Outdoor Clothing Learn more

5.0 out of 5 stars ALERT - Uses MICRO SD, not full size. Seems like a very nice pocket camera!, April 19, 2014
This review is from: Samsung WB350F 16.3MP CMOS Smart WiFi & NFC Digital Camera with 21x Optical Zoom, 3.0" Touch Screen LCD and 1080p HD Video (Brown) (Electronics)
ADDED Info: Because someone posted a question on this, I thought I would mention that this camera works fine with a 128GB Sandisk Ultra Micro SDXC card and reports space for 160,227 1MP images or 20.00 hours of 720p HD video.

UPDATE regarding screen glare: I have found some ideas regarding dealing with screen glare. There are some magnified LCD extender viewfinders out there that basically allow you to use a screen only camera as if it had a viewfinder. Most are specific to some Canon DSLR models. I have ordered an inexpensive one to try out and perhaps modify. If I have any luck I will report back here. A simple and free solution that works reasonably well is to grab one of those corrugated cardboard sleeves they have at coffee shops to keep you from burning your hand. It is easy to hold the big end up against the LCD and look through the smaller end. It is not perfect, but if you have on a cap or wide-brimmed hat you can actually see the screen quite well. I try to keep the top flat by extending my index finger to seal off light entering from above. With a couple of minutes fooling with it you can figure out how best to hold it for your purposes. An added benefit is that it folds flat so you can just carry it in your pocket and whip it out when you need it. Nothing bulky to attach. Something a little longer would work even better as long as it is dark colored and probably best not glossy inside. Maybe just make a tapered cardboard tube. Just some thoughts.

UPDATE: I have had a lot of experience with this camera in the last few weeks, including the last few days in Yellowstone. I am even more impressed with it than I was initially. There is not a whole lot to say except that it takes great photos and videos, including full HD video of Old Faithful erupting yesterday. I have also taken some very good images of distant wildlife at extreme zoom.

The direct wifi feature works very well. It is very handy for transferring photos directly from the camera to my phone if I need to. I usually still use a direct USB connection if available, but the wifi has come in handy.

I have come up with one con while using the camera at Yellowstone, but it is something common to all point and shoots. Trying to find and zoom in on a scene in bright sunlight is difficult to nearly impossible. I have a Canon SX50 which also has an electronic viewfinder. Having a viewfinder is very useful for difficult situations. I originally intended to bring both cameras, using the SX50 for the heavy work and the WB350F for pocketability. At the last minute I decided to take only the WB350F. It has been fantastic for 98-99% of what I needed, but when trying to find and zoom in on some distant wildlife in bright sunlight it has been a challenge. Please do not let this deter you from buying this camera. I have been able to use it for those shots, but the viewfinder would certainly have made it easier. Cameras with viewfinders are twice as expensive and usually much larger and heavier. You will not put one in your pocket.

This will be preliminary review since I just received the WB350F a couple of days ago. My main purpose here is to alert buyers that this camera uses micro SD. So if you need to buy media with the camera, don't buy full-size SD. I do not consider this an issue, but it might save someone the inconvenience of having to return a card and await replacement. The product description does not mention this so I assumed it used full size SD like the WB250F. This was not an issue for me because I had high capacity cards of both sizes anyway.

I have a very nice Canon SX50 that I love for trips or other situations where I know I will be taking a lot of pictures, like a planned trip to Yellowstone, and will need the mega-zoom. There are a lot of more casual situations like trips to the playground with grandkids, day trips, birthday parties, etc., where it is nice to have something you can slip in your pocket just in case. I still wanted something with a decent amount of zoom. To me, the WB350F is a great combination of small size, plenty of zoom, and a decent price. I have a tiny Fuji camera, but it always felt too small in my large hands.

The menu system is similar to most digital cameras. I was able to find all the settings I needed without using the manual. The hybrid system is pretty neat. You can navigate with the usual menu buttons or touch things on the screen. It is kind of handy. Once you get to a screens using the familiar buttons and get several selections on the screen, instead of moving to your choice with the buttons, you can just tap the one you want with your finger. At first I thought I would probably not use the touch screen, but I guess using smart phones and tablets all these years has me in the habit.

The WB350F seems to create very good images. I confess that I am not overly picky. A crisp, clear image with good color is fine. Don't get me wrong. I do want quality images, but I don't pull out instruments and magnifiers to critique every shot. I am just more interested in the memories.

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 5, 2014 11:06:14 PM PDT
chas2e61 says:
Thank you for pointing that out about the micro sd card. Amazon lists a regular sd card as frequently bought with this camera. I would have gone for it, then spent several days swearing and bitching about it. Nice review.

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2014 3:30:57 AM PDT
Glad to know it helped!

Posted on May 14, 2014 8:25:22 PM PDT
Robert M says:
I would like to have a camera that would be able to catch a pic of a license plate if I were near a hit-and-run, as the guilty party speeds away. Is the WB350F capable of that?

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2014 4:02:30 AM PDT
Raymond P. says:
The camera is certainly capable of it, BUT the likelihood of successfully pulling it off are really small. Even if you just happen to have the camera on because you are taking a picture at the time, a car going 20-30 mph is going to be a block away before your brain even registers what you saw and reminds you you have a camera in your hands. Another second or two to get the camera up and find it on the screen, the car is even farther away. Need to zoom to get a readable image? That's another second or two, and you are trying to "catch" the car with the zoom. And all that is if you are lucky enough to have the camera on and ready. What if it is in your pocket, in a backpack, in the glove compartment, on the seat next to you? The car is going to be long gone before you can even get the camera in your hands. And are you driving? Add time to figure out where to stop, etc., etc., etc. If you are having problems on the street in front of your house and plan to sit in your yard with the camera ready, you might get lucky if you have a good angle and the car doesn't get behind the car parked in front of your neighbors house.

Having said all of that, if you are thinking about this in the context of, say, your commute to work and back, or just driving around, you could get some kind of dashboard mount and let the camera record full HD video at a zoom level that is capturing an image you think will be wide and deep enough to see read license plates. A 64gb micro sd has space for several hours of full HD video. Even a 32gb would probably hold over two hours, so just delete the video each evening, or as needed to be ready for the next commute.

So, yes, the camera is capable, but catching a good image in ANY sudden event-type situation will still take quite a bit of luck. I have spent a lot of time trying to get nice pictures of birds in my back yard. Sometimes they will sit nicely for a few seconds, but the prettiest ones will land, and even with the camera on and ready, they are gone before I can get a picture. Even using the video method while driving, the event would have to take place straight in front of you and not too far away. I am not trying to be a naysayer; what you are trying to do is commendable, and I wish you luck. I am just trying to make clear that as long as it has enough zoom, which this one does, the camera itself is probably the smallest part of the equation in this type of usage scenario.

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2014 1:01:04 PM PDT
Thanks for the heads up regarding the micro sd card. I'm can't decide if I want to invest in micro or not. I have so many regular size sd cards.

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2014 8:00:15 PM PDT
Even 64gb micro SD cards are not that expensive these days, and 32gb are downright cheap. Having said that, the WB250F, which takes full size SD, is a great camera, too, and a little less expensive. I had originally bought the 250, but my daughter needed a new camera so I gave it to her. The 350 has a bit more optical zoom, but otherwise the two models are very similar.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2014 11:21:56 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 30, 2014 11:27:26 AM PDT
M Cox says:
I agree that it would be very difficult to catch a hit and run vehicle, but this would still be pretty good to have in the glove compartment. But the usual case is that you'll have time to photograph the accident scene. I keep a low budget digital camera in my glove compartment or center console all the time just in case. I was hit broadside in a large mall parking lot by a showoff driving at insane speed the wrong way, etc. My car was brand new and it took two and a half months to get it repaired - not to mention severely injuring my neck. Anyway I photographed the scene and had irrefutable evidence who was at fault. It is a small price to pay to prove your innocence. Naturally they had no insurance and no money or job. Now I am in very intense pain and need neck surgery and they are nowhere to be found. So even if you are right, it doesn't mean you'll get justice. Police refused to get involved because it was private property. And they were right there in a Police Kiosk - wouldn't even walk to my car.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2014 9:55:39 PM PDT
M. Deyoung says:
I think the guy with the "license plate" question would be better served with a small "action cam" put on his dashboard.. I used a CamOne Infinity camera last year on my trip out west. It's quite small, 1080 hd, has 2 micro-sd slots. I plugged it into my lighter outlet for constant power and filmed all day, everyday. With a video editor, you can enlarge the spot you want, to read a plate number.

I also just bought this Samsung WB350f... It looks like a fun camera! Hope to get it in a few days..

Posted on Nov 5, 2014 4:40:20 PM PST
Hey, I have this camera but I do not know how to or where to insert the memory card. Can someone please help? I have a 32GB memory card. I do not know what you meant when you said large or small memory cards. This is my first digital camera

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2014 9:35:04 PM PST
Raymond P. says:
The micro SD slot is in the battery compartment on the bottom of the camera.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›