7 of 7 people found the following review helpful
Viscerally fun, or perhaps Evisceratingly fun. Some frustrating platforming.,
Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: X-Men Origins: Wolverine - Uncaged Edition - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
This is a game that is surprisingly good. It is probably one of the best movie-tie-in games ever made. But those games tend to trend to the abysmal. The game follows the plot of the movie in loose way but features characters and events not portrayed in the movie.
1) Extremely fun and engaging combat system.
2) Wolverine's abilities seem accurately reflected in the game. The regeneration system works well. You can see him heal in front of your eyes. The claws damage most enemies as you might expect.
3) RPG elements are fun. The upgrades work and you do become more powerful as you progress.
4) Excellent voice-acting and plot.
1) Some repetitive boss fights. It gets pretty tiresome jumping on big dudes' backs and stabbing them in the hump.
2) Incredibly frustrating timed platforming with controls that are subpar for platforming. (For example in good 3d platformers such as Assassin's Creed 2, or Prince of Persia, trying to jump off a platform and mistiming the jump results in your walking to the edge and stopping, or catching yourself. In this game you just walk off the edge. Also, most platforming in this game seems to require double jumps, which is tuned overly tightly, making it very difficult to execute.) Overall the platforming seemed nonsensical. Wolverine can leap 30 yards to stab an enemy, but without that enemy his range seems to be 5 yards.
3) Some poorly spaced checkpoints which force you to repeat long tedious sections in even of failure. Although for the most part the checkpoints were pretty decent.
4) Somewhat subpar graphics for a PS3 game.
Overall, the game was pretty awesome for anyone who is a wolverine fan. It also is fun to replay, with the exception of the platforming parts.