4.0 out of 5 stars Good for inkitchen, not so sure about outdoors, April 25, 2011
This review is from: FoodSaver Professional Vacuum Sealer (Kitchen)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This particular model of the foodsaver comes with the following items included:

1 Roll 11" x 20' bagging material
2 each 1-gallon bags
3 each 1-quart bags

It also incorporates the accessory tube, so that it can be used with the Foodsaver Accessories.

I was a bit surprised when I received it, because it did not include the one thing that would have made it an excellent outdoors tool - the DC adapter cord which would permit it to be used by sportsmen in the field. This cord IS available with the GameSaver Pro Silver - which may be best for those actually wanting to use this to clean and package game in the field.

Having used Foodsaver models in the past, there are several features that I particularly enjoyed on this model as I tested it INSIDE my kitchen. :-)

First - the Foodsaver makes it easy to create bags, using their cutting strip and their easy-to-operate system. The lever on the right has three settings, closed (where it can operate), store (so the gasket won't be constantly crushed and will last longer), and open. Not hard.

There are two buttons on the top. Seal and vacuum and seal. You use the Seal button to create one side of the bag, the cutting strip to cut it off afterwards at the right length, and the vacuum and seal button to remove the air and seal the bag. The lights go on to show you what it is doing, so you don't have to guess.

The second thing I liked about this particular vacuum sealer is that while it sealed the items I put inside of it, when I used it on dehydrated vegetables, it did not crush them. A different model, FoodSaver - GameSaver says that it has a sensitivity control. This seems to be true, as far as I can tell on this model as well.

I really do like the "seal only" feature, since it lets me repackage even the most sensitive items - like marshmallows, without worrying that they will end up in one chunky blob. Obviously, with air, they won't last as long ...

The foodsaver bags and material are multi-ply, and allow you to freeze, microwave, simmer, and just use them for storage. For liquid items, or items like fresh fruits and vegetables, it is best to blanch and freeze them first, then do the vacuum sealing, before you store them long-term in your freezer.

I have done this with corn on the cob with excellent results, and will be handling my broccoli the same way. A friend does this with grated Zucchini as well, but I'm not sure I will - by the time mine is done producing, I never want to see it again, and would hate to spend my whole winter trying to find new ways to use it.

The same goes for bread - by freezing it first, you can vacuum seal it and keep it fresh MUCH longer.

By freezing ice cubes in sealed bags, it makes it easy to take them with you, either in your ice chest or without. Once they are melted, they are an excellent source of water. It also permits you to make drip-free icebags for boo-boos for the little ones.

For items with some moisture (eg fresh meat), the extra-large drip tray catches the drips, and is easily removed and cleaned. For the best seal, you need to prefreeze the meat as well, but if you place a paper towel at the top of the meat, you can seal it.

I have priced around, and short of going through a major membership store, Amazon seems to have excellent prices on the additional bags and bagging materials. However, I also noticed that there were MANY complaints about the foodsaver accessories, so I would be cautious and read up before I purchased those.

A quick hint - you can package individual smaller items in smaller bags - eg. your pills for a trip. Seal one end of the roll, decide how long you want it, cut and remove. Then, turning your "bag" sideways, seal as many columns as you will need. Place your pills or smaller items down into the bottom of each row. Seal them across the top. Fill the next row, and once again seal across the top. If you are dividing into thirds, each row will have three little packs. Since there is only one seal, you will need to be cautious in cutting off the sections you are using, but it can be handy.

This is also the way you would handle smaller amounts of matches and other items you carry.

This is a new model, so I will definitely report any future problems, but it is working well and doing a fantastic job on my kitchen items. I put the 4 stars (instead of 5) because I feel that if Foodsaver is going to advertise an items as "outdoor," they should include at least the option of purchasing an adapter for the model.

***Special Edit*** My Son-in-law will deploy back to the Persian Gulf this fall. One of the issues he had with the food items I sent to him (eg. candy) was sand getting in them, so, while last time I ended up putting everything in sealed sandwich bags, hopefully this time the vacuum sealer will make the items more secure and help them to last longer.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 28, 2011 9:31:02 AM PDT
May I mention that this is great to store dry dog food and dog treats in for trips?

Posted on Sep 22, 2011 11:32:57 AM PDT
Traveler says:
Excellent, detailed review. Many thanks for your time!

Posted on Jun 7, 2013 9:31:02 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 7, 2013 9:31:51 AM PDT
savsmom says:
Hello, I think I may be able to shed some light on the subject. The use of the word Sportsman is referring not to where you may be needing to seal game but to how much game you need to seal. It is to indicate that sportsmen/women may have more items to seal and would therefore need a machine that will handle larger amounts and more frequent use than the normal one would. I have a family member who is an avid hunter and she burned out several other sealers with the much more frequent use of them. She had actually contacted the company to ask about a more rugged model and the company customer service rep recommended one of the "gamesaver" or "sportsman" sealers to handle the heavy usage. One of the issues she had encountered with her other sealers was that she could only seal so many bags before she had to let the machine cool down. It meant quite a bit of wait time added to her sealing time, especially when she was putting up venison. She has now had this particular incarnation well over a year and says she hasn't had to allow any cooling time so far. In fact, the last deer season, she put up her venison and her son's at the same time and says she knows she sealed at least one hundred bags over a full day with no problems. I have just ordered it for my household so I will definitely be posting my own review soon. Thanks for your review...it is the primary reason I purchase this sealer!

Posted on Oct 7, 2013 4:42:04 PM PDT
Thanks very much for all this great advice and the amazing tips! I love the idea for sealing rows of vitamins for travel!!! Thanks very much.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.0 out of 5 stars (84 customer reviews)

$189.99 $94.98