4.0 out of 5 stars Good reliable Modem and Router, July 30, 2013
This review is from: Netgear DOCSIS 3.0 N300 Cable Modem Router for Charter Communications CG3000D-100NAS (Non-Retail Packaging) (Personal Computers)
I was hesitant about buying this router as there are several bad reviews regarding the wireless signal. I found one used for 35$ so I bit the bullet and purchased anyway. I am replacing my Time Warner Cable Modem as they just increased the leasing fees. I planned on only using the modem functionality of this device, and use my existing wireless router as I thought the wireless on the Netgear would be horrible.
I ended up setting up and using the wireless on the CG3000d because of two reasons
1. The button on the front of the device to turn the wireless radio "off" does not work so I am unable to turn off the wireless signal anyway
2. The wireless signal from the Netgear cg3000d is great in my location/(smaller house 2000 sq ft)

Pros)
Easy setup with TWC. A 10 minute phone call
Im getting my advertised speeds of 20 Mbps down and 2 up from the modem and router.
No dropouts over the last 4 days Ive had it.
I stream Amazon VOD over ps3(wireless). Works great
Online gaming with PS3 wireless works great.
Lots of options in the admin menu

Cons)
Cant turn off the wireless radio.
No option to upgrade firmware from what I can tell in the admin section

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 8, 2013 10:41:01 AM PDT
A. Mahpour says:
Hey. Did you have to change any settings on the modem when setting up with Time Warner or was everything done on their end?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 8, 2013 7:16:46 PM PDT
J. Royster says:
Everything is done by TWC. You just need to have the MAC address available for them.

Posted on Oct 15, 2013 6:33:14 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 15, 2013 6:35:03 PM PDT
its a pain but you CAN disable the wireless. it took about 5 minutes for the whole thing to start working after set up BE PATIENT!
step 1) you must be plugged directly into modem to work (not through another router) you MAY need to do a factory reset (the pinhole thing on the back ,it will knock out your internet connection for up to 5 minutes)
http://192.168.0.1 (Firefox or IE best options)
password: password
go to advanced wireless options
click on disable wireless and the box under to it to CLEAR options (no check)
click apply
stay plugged into modem directly until the light next to the wireless symbol goes out and connectivity is restored
step 2 plug Ethernet cord into slot 1
plug that into "internet" port on your real wireless router
plug port 1 from your "real" router into computer
this may take up to 5 minuites to restore connectivity...this modem is a real PITA to set up but it pays for itself in a few months
DO THIS NOW! you cannot disable WPS on this router without disabling wireless and IT HAS BEEN CRACKED

Posted on Oct 18, 2013 10:33:37 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Dec 25, 2013 12:09:18 PM PST
SoCalAussie says:
I'm also with Time Warner and bought the CG3000D from Amazon for the same reason, but learned some things that may be useful to others:
- I initially set it up on Channel 9 because I could see none of my neighbors were using this channel, but the wireless speed was very, very slow, around 5.5Mbps, even though I had great signal strength.
- Netgear Support told me my CG3000D serial number is a version designed for ISP's and that they don't support it, even though I didn't get it from my ISP. They were no help and said call my ISP provider.
- I tried TWC and they tried to refer me back to Netgear, but I got lucky with a really helpful person. They ran a network test, confirmed the wireless settings were incorrect, then walked me through settings while I was logged into the modem. TWC advised that because it is a DOCSIS 3.0 gateway, it must be set to channel 1, 6 or 11 only. I set it to ch 11 and my speed went back to 150Mbps, problem fixed.

It does not come in retail packaging and there is no documentation with it, but there is another posting with a link to the user manual, or you can find it on the Cox site. The lack of support from Netgear is evident on their website: no documentation, no firmware upgrades.

The WPS vulnerability is limited to using the PIN option (yeah, you're also "open" for 2 minutes if you use the button option) but the PIN can be disabled in the settings, so there is no need to disable the wireless if you're concerned about it. This vulnerability applies to any device with this feature.

It's now working great, wired and wireless, and would have been a 30-min set-up if I didn't mess with the channel!

UPDATE 12/25/13: Had it for 2 months now and it's dropped out 2 or 3 times. Cycling power fixes it but I haven't gotten to the root of why it's dropping out.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2013 6:18:57 AM PDT
Scooter2 says:
i bought this the other week. Time warner just needs the mac address. No tweaking.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2013 11:08:52 AM PST
Holy cow, I had no idea what was wrong with the internet and my whole house was getting frustrated with it being so slow. I changed it to channel 11, and sure enough it sped right up.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2013 4:52:29 PM PST
Juan says:
wait so even thought this is for charter, it still worked for TWC?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2014 7:07:28 AM PST
J. Royster says:
I think Amazon has changed the title since I made this review. It did not say "for Charter" at the end. Pretty sure its the same thing.
See this link

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 3, 2014 1:40:47 PM PST
I really want to know if this is the same thing, or I'm gonna be upset with Amazon for the mislabeling of reviews and return it.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 3, 2014 1:41:08 PM PST
Did you find out if this works?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›