5.0 out of 5 stars Not too shabby... UPDATED: "Fantastic", March 21, 2012
This review is from: Canon PowerShot A2400 IS 16.0 MP Digital Camera with 5x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom 28mm Wide-Angle Lens with 720p Full HD Video Recording and 2.7-Inch Touch Panel LCD (Pink) (Electronics)
Ok, let me preface where this review is coming from. I am an amateur photographer who is a "Canon Girl" and has a Canon 50D as my primary DSLR "love of my life". Therefore, this may credit or discredit me in any way that you see fit in reading this! I've been in the market for a new compact for quite some time since my beloved Olympus lost its functionality last year(which happened to be my first taste in photography believe it or not several years ago..of course electronics do not last forever). I decided to take the plunge and purchase a camera that was so new that it did not have reviews on it yet!

First things first, this may or may not be a surprise, but the package does NOT come with a memory card. I suppose I'm used to these things coming with some sort of crappy low memory card to at least get you started. But, no worries, SanDisk makes a pretty inexpensive and of "ok" quality card. Amazon does not list what kind of memory cards this takes, (SD, SDHC, SDXC)

Second, MOST surprisingly, I actually read the users manual. I, like many others, tend to want to go the "I'll figure it out as I go" route. The manual was helpful and explained things at length.

Third, software installation pretty simple...however, I did have some trouble figuring out how to actually upload some sample photos that I took, but the manual gave me a fantastic instruction. That said, this will just go to show that the manual is pretty well written and in laymen's terms should that be of concern.

Fourth, went out to test drive it a bit. I suppose I feel as if I should have the knowledge/mental capacity being that I lead a part-time job being a photographer, however, it IS something new and change is difficult...BUT, it was simple to operate not to mention that it's pretty cool that the screen shows you AND MOVES with your targeted subject. I got clean, crisp photos. My favorite part of this camera is that when working with difficult "subjects", which in my case happened to be my rambunctious boxer/pit 2 2/12 year old dog, the moment you close on the shutter release, it captures exactly what you were intending. So, no more blurry head moves and smiles that you did not catch in time. BRILLIANT.

Overall, the reason why I gave it 4 and not 5 stars is because I read about all this nifty artsy stuff you could do with the camera, however, I couldn't seem to figure it out right off hand. (I JUST got this yesterday). Regardless, so far it seems to be a great little camera and I am looking forward to utilizing it more with events in my life that don't have much room for my big DSLR to be attached at my hip!! (note: I may update later when I get further into using it)

UPDATE: 4/3/12
I've had the camera now for a few weeks. I JUST figured out YESTERDAY how to use the "artistic" features for the camera. It took me forever to figure it out. Apparently, Canon has gotten a bit lazy and you now need to DOWNLOAD the ENTIRE manual from the CD you receive. My co-worker and I had a blast playing with the features. The toy camera, fish eye, and the miniature art features are really fun. Which is EXACTLY what I was looking for in this camera. Therefore, I upgraded my review for 5 stars!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 12, 2012 10:24:23 PM PST
T the K says:
Why do you have to install software?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 9:12:30 PM PST
If you want to use Canon's software to upload photos and edit in them in their very basic editing program, then you must download the software.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 9:24:45 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 13, 2012 9:25:33 PM PST
T the K says:
With my previous camera, I uploaded photos using a card reader and edited in PhotoShop. Will that still work with this camera?

Tonight I went to Costco to look at the camera. It is seems awfully small and flimsy. Do you have any trouble keeping hold of it and pressing the buttons?

My previous camera, Minolta DiMage F300 was more substantial and had a view finder. It was stolen last week, though, so I'm looking for a replacement. I gather that you think this Canon is pretty good.

Thanks for your help.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 5:58:04 AM PST
Definitely! When I first started out plugging in the camera, it defaulted to open up in Lightroom (which is what I use). So, you can definitely use it in any program you choose.

I have found the camera to be pretty sturdy, actually. I vowed that this time around with a small camera that I would keep it in a nice hard case to put in my purse so it doesn't get damaged. While I've done a good job of keeping up with that, the camera is currently thrown in my purse sans case...and as you could imagine, any item floating around in a woman's purse can never be a good thing. But, it's held up quite nicely! I know what you're saying about the buttons, I have small hands, but I'm able to navigate pretty well.

I definitely don't have any complaints about the camera at all. I use it a lot when I don't have the space to lug around my DSLR and it works really well in low-lighting situations as well. VERY pleased with performance!

Hope this helps!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 7:56:51 AM PST
T the K says:
I'm going to look at the camera again today. Thanks for your input. You are helping me make a decision.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 7:59:37 AM PST
Glad to hear it! Good luck!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 11, 2013 7:22:00 PM PST
T the K says:
I finally ended up buying this camera. Have not opened the box yet, though.

I just want to clarify - since it's been so long since my last question - is a card reader available for this so I don't have to plug in the camera? I have PhotoShop on my computer. If card readers are available, should I buy a certain kind?

Thanks for all your help.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 2:34:40 PM PST
Generic card readers are available for less than $10 and most will take a variety of card types; they hookup to computers via a USB cable. The downside to using a card reader is the necessity to remove the card from the camera.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 6:11:30 PM PST
T the K says:
Thank you for the information. This sounds good.

Posted on May 20, 2013 12:19:48 PM PDT
JT says:
Does the camera have any internal memory? Also what kind of memory card does it take? Thanks!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›