4.0 out of 5 stars I should read short story collections more often, May 3, 2011
This review is from: You Are Free: Stories (Paperback)
The short story genre is, I believe, overlooked and underrated, and this fine collection proves that. These eight stories, though different from each other, are all fun to read.

I'm not a writer, but I would imagine writing a short story is in some ways more of a challenge than writing a novel, because of the "space limitations," making character development difficult. This does not seem to be the case for this author, however. Her characters are vivid and so well drawn that I could picture them with ease and lose myself completely in their stories. The author's gift for crisp dialogue also keeps the stories moving and interesting.

I don't want to really review the individual stories, instead leaving it up to each reader to decide what they think, but there are a few specific comments I will make.

There is only one story here that I didn't like (The Land of Beulah), but not because it wasn't interesting or well written; I just didn't care for the subject matter and, in fact, hated the main character ... maybe that's exactly what the author wanted.

The story There, There seemed a bit unfinished; the ending had me wanting more. I really enjoyed the story The Care of the Self; it's a great little "girlfriends" tale. Finally, I found the unusual story Triptych to be weird and fascinating.

All in all, this is a great collection of stories, well worth reading by anyone who likes this genre. In fact, I will probably read them again.

(FTC disclaimer: I reviewed an advance reader copy of this book that I obtained free of charge, by winning it in the Goodreads.com Firstreads Giveaway.)

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]