5.0 out of 5 stars Wafer thin, 2 Cameras, better Wifi and better sound!, September 18, 2010
This review is from: Apple iPod touch 32GB Black MC544L/A (4th Generation) (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
I got my 64G Touch 4G last week -- I finally got my wish, the Touch gets not one, but two cameras! That makes up for last year's disappointing 3G release.

First impressions: wow, this is so thin and small -- makes my 3rd gen look a bit like a bulky oaf in comparison. Second impression: hey, this doesn't look like my iPhone 4 at all!

A bit about me: I'm an MP3 diehard fanatic, I own or have owned almost every MP3 player of note. To name a few: iPod Touch 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th gen, iPod Classic, iPod Nano, Zune HD, Archos Android, 5, 605, 604, and so forth. I have a broad basis for comparison as I write my review.

Down to brass tacks then, what do I love about my new Touch:

1) Retina display -- Wow! That's a lot of pixels in a small space, the crispness and clarity of text and video is simply awesome.
2) Slim form factor -- this is thinner and narrower than last years model. Its compact, easily fits in a pocket, while still having a little weight to give that quality feel.
3) iTunes and the App Store -- still one of Apple's strongest features. iTunes continues to be the best interface for music, video and app purchases. While Zune Marketplace and Android are strong contenders, they aren't quite there yet.
4) Easy upgrades -- the iOS upgrade system is as smooth as it gets, just plug it into iTunes and it happens smoothly and seamlessly.
5) Dedicated power and volume buttons.
6) Cool user interface -- possibly the best user interface although Zune and Android are also strong.
7) Apps -- without question the Apps are the Touch and iPhone strongest feature, the most Apps and the best Apps.
8) Accessories, accessories -- you just can't beat the easy availability and diversity of accessories available for iPod Touch. Its good to be at the top!
9) Multitasking (or multi-what?) -- finally we have multitasking on an MP3 player! Ok, maybe I'm just a geek and nobody else cares... just a little tip: double click your home button to see what has been running in the background and sucking up your battery!
10) External speaker -- improved quality since 3rd gen. Nice when you don't want to put on headphones to listen to a podcast or something.
11) Cameras -- the only MP3 player I've ever had that can do facetime, take pictures, and record videos!
12) Improved Wifi -- connects easily to my WPA secured U-Verse router, my 3rd gen can't do it. Makes this a good "small iPad" if that's what you're looking for.
13) Improved sound -- its getting pretty good now, still not the best available but definitely better than 3rd gen was. I would say the sound quality has moved from 3 star to 4 stars now.

And then the things I don't love so much:
1) Where is the Dedicated play button??? Does anybody else think that this is like the most important thing for an MP3 player? Makes it hard to pause the music when somebody comes up and wants to talk to you. The trick I found is to unplug the headphones which pauses the music automatically!
2) Removable battery? -- I'm just going to keep saying this til somebody at Apple hears me. It costs like $100 to get the battery replaced which is ridiculous.
3) A/V docking station? -- Again, why doesn't Apple have a decent docking station? Both Zune and Archos have very nice docks for their products.

All in all, my issues with the iPod Touch are pretty trivial. It continues to be the best all around MP3 player type unit available today -- hence the 5 stars. With the addition of Retina display, cameras, faster CPU, better sound and wifi, and slimmer packaging the Touch is still the one to beat.

Note: If what you really care about is sound quality I would recommend the Sony Walkman X. If you want something that sounds great on big speakers, has a bigger screen, and a high capacity hard drive, then I recommend the Archos 5 with Android.

[Add comment]