4.0 out of 5 stars A Couple Steps Up From the BD390, But Not Perfect. (Yet), June 1, 2011
This review is from: LG BD670 3D Wireless Network Blu-ray Disc Player with Smart TV (Electronics)
I bought this player a month ago and wanted to wait and get some ample use time with it before I left a review. The LG BD670 is my second standalone blu-ray player, where my first was the LG BD390 (2009 model). (It also really says something when in 2009 I paid $330 for the BD390, yet only 2 years later pay only $154 for the BD670.) I decided to go with LG again because of my experience with past performance and they give all the features I want. As with most blu-ray players like this one firmware updates are a must, so as soon as I got the player connected to my network (wireless) I got it updated to the latest firmware. So far I am pretty impressed with most, but not all aspects of this player. There are 3 main viewing methods I use to watch videos with this player: discs (30%), USB (30%) and streaming/wireless (40%). I'll give detailed reviews of these since they're what I use.

* DISCS: With both the ability to stream AND watch video files via the USB port (as with the 390) I don't watch as many discs as I use to. There are now of course 2 types of video discs, DVD and blu-ray. What some people don't understand is that DVD and blu-ray are 2 completely different formats, each with there own disc format. The only thing that they have in common (besides playing A/V streams) is that they both have the same SIZE disc.
- Blu-rays: ** See UPDATES @ the end of my review about this! ** When I first watched a blu-ray on my BD390 paired with my (then new) Vizio 42" 1080p 120Hz HDTV I definitely saw the improvement over DVD with a much sharper, clearer picture with much more detail. In fact it sometimes sucks to have that much detail for some of the older/low budget movies that I have on blu-ray because it allows you to see just how bad some of the special effects were (wires, etc.)! I thought the picture couldn't get any better on my Vizio because I thought that what the BD390 was giving it was as good as what the TV could produce. Well, when I watched some of my blu-rays on the same TV with the BD670...it turned out I was wrong! This player gives noticeable improvement when it comes to playing blu-rays when compared to the BD390. The picture IS actually even sharper/clearer and the colors are more vibrant; not in any grand, vast improvement kind of way, but it is noticeable. I've played about a dozen or so blu-rays on it thus far, but it's been able to play them all without any problems whatsoever...say for one title (so far). "Daybreakers". I know this title plays just fine because the disc would play in the 390. When I put this disc in to play in the 670, it starts to load up the main menu with its movie icon/progress bar, but then stops about 3/4 of the way through. However the sound will continue to play for the trailers with just a small patch of the video on the screen showing beside half of the logo. I "next track" all of the trailers to try and get to the menu (pressing the "disc menu" button only gives me the "circle cross" icon telling me it can't do that), but once I'm past all the trailers and the menu is suppose to load up...nothing. It just sits there and doesn't load up anything. I called LG to make them aware of this problem and the woman I talked to said she would pass along this info to their firmware dept. and look into fixing the problem. (Who knows how long that might take though?!) Hopefully this one title is a rarity, but it makes me wonder out of the over 100 titles on blu-ray I do own and have yet to play on this machine, how many of those might encounter this same kind of problem?
- DVD's: ** See UPDATES @ the end of my review about this! ** Surprisingly, this unit DOES have a slight problem when it comes to playing DVD's! You think the one thing they could get right for this player is to play DVD's with no problems whatsoever, but sadly no. The audio/video plays fine, but every chapter change there is a half-second skip in the play (more for the audio than the video). It's barely noticeable, but it IS noticeable. It's not enough to really bother me, but I can understand other people being bothered by it. If it happened more often in the play, then it would probably get on my nerves more. This is a problem that LG is already aware of and says is working to fix in a future firmware update, but still I contacted them via email about this just to add my complaint to the list. Other than that there is no other problems I've experienced. The audio/video quality is great and every single DVD loads up and plays, even some region 0/PAL DVD's I got from Australia.

* USB: This is the main reason I bought and have stuck with the LG model blu-ray players. I have plenty of USB flash drives, not to mention external HD's where I have all my media files backed up on, other things I download from various sources. I just transfer them to a flash drive and plug it into the port and start watching. This player is a bit different from the 390 in that the USB, not the disc source is the main source it defaults to. I can have a disc already loaded in the unit when I turn it on, yet if you have a USB drive plugged in, it will ask if you want to play something from that first instead of loading up the disc. So far, it has played every single video file/format (.mkv, .mpeg, .avi, .mp4, .m4v) I've thrown at it with no problems at all. I LOVE this ability.

* Streaming/Wireless: Not only does this unit have the USB port up front to play video/music/picture files off of external drives, but with the wireless it has the ability to use DLNA to stream media from your computer (which I haven't messed with yet.) This unit has dual-band wireless, meaning it uses both 2.4Ghz and 5.8Ghz bands. This is especially useful for those who have a dual-band router (such as myself), so there is less chance of a dropped connection or decrease in connection speed. Mostly all of the streaming I do with the 670 is from LG's Premium service, i.e. Netflix, Pandora, etc. This is definitely where the 670 has improved over the 390 with a lot more services and better interfaces. The interface menu for Netflix has VASTLY improved from the 390 with more choices to look up movies and easier navigation of the "instant queue". The only other Premium service I've used so far is Pandora which is nice too. I have yet to try out any of the other services, and don't plan to for the foreseeable future. I will note that when I first did the firmware update (no problems) then loaded up the Premium service, it started to do an update for the program, but said it failed and just loaded up Premium as normal. The second time I loaded it up it attempted the update again and was successful. All of the movies I've streamed have played fine with no dropped connections/rebuffering and the quality has been at least DVD or better.

Overall, for the time being, I'm satisfied with this player; but only with the understanding that the problems it has will be fixed in future firmware update(s). As these blu-ray players get more and more complex with all the different features they have, it also means there's more chance for various and unforeseen bugs like the ones this player still suffers from will pop-up, hence the need for the firmware updates. I know a number of people believe that they should be like the old DVD players and just work straight out of the box and I wish they did too. In a perfect world they would, but this is far from a perfect world isn't it? These players are becoming more and more like computers, various hardware and software meant to work together to perform certain tasks without errors or conflicts. However ANYONE with a computer knows that it's not that easy. I modify/upgrade hardware and some programs (software) on my system all the time and sometimes these changes cause conflicts. A change in hardware, even with the latest drivers can cause unforeseen problems with other hardware or software. A new update to a driver can cause the hardware it's suppose to improve to work less efficiently or program update can cause conflicts with other software. Most of the time this doesn't happen or can be easily resolved, but sometimes it does. This is the same for these new players. A firmware update meant to fix one issue can cause another. The companies that manufacture these players can only do so much beta-testing before they have to release them into the real world. That is when we, the consumer whom these devices are intended for, put them through their real world paces that the manufacturer simply can't do. There are so many variations (different DVD's, blu-rays, vidoe files, streaming, etc.) made by different studios and other companies that all use various manufacturing/specification standards that it would be virtually impossible for the manufacturers to try and test them all on these players, when they themselves have their own standards and specifications. Read reviews for any other blu-ray player out there right now and I defy you to find one single player that has no complaints against it. I'm not trying to defend this players shortcomings, I'm just saying I understand (more than some people) why they exist and at the same time am trying to make other people understand why they exist.

With this review I am trying to inform you, the consumer about this player. It is a good player and will be an even better one once these small problems it has are fixed in firmware updates. If you buy this player now, be aware of the aforementioned problems and be patient for the firmware fixes. If you are turned off by these problems I have experienced and/or problems mentioned by other reviewers which I have not experienced; either wait until these problems have been addressed to purchase or simply look into buying a different player. Once firmware for these problems have been released and fixes the player, I will update by review accordingly.

**UPDATE: 6/15/11**
After contacting LG a couple times and browsing the AVS forums, it seems that the DVD skip was introduced in the latest firmware update that was put out in late April. It should be fixed in the next update along with a few other little things. So the fault lies not in the player, but the latest firmware. (Just so people will know.)

**UPDATE: 6/20/11**
A new firmware update was released just after my last update. It didn't come up automatically, I went into the "Setup" section to check (like I do every few days, just in case). I updated to this newest version to see if any problems were fixed. For the DVD "chapter change" 1/2 second skip problem, I can say it's been fixed for the most part. I've only watched 3 or 4 DVD's so far (a couple movies and a TV series episode) and I only experienced the skip intermittently or not at all. For 1 or 2 of the movies the skip happened like once in the beginning and a few times closer towards the end, for the other movie and the TV episode I watched, I didn't experience the skip at all. For that particular blu-ray title problem "Daybreakers", this has been fixed (or maybe it was half my fault from the start)! What I discovered is that the reason "Daybreakers" wouldn't load up in the first place is because I always had a USB drive plugged into the front when I tried to load the movie! I don't know why this interferes with this particular title ONLY (so far) and not any other I've loaded up, but it does! I want to say that before this newest update I HAD already tried having the flash drive unplugged from the front to see if it made a difference, so I'm not sure if this update had anything to do with it or not. If you are having trouble with a particular blu-ray (like "Daybreakers") not loading up AND you have a USB drive plugged in, THAT could be the problem! I updated the rating for my review to 4 stars since LG is starting to release firmware updates that are making improvements and are getting the player to proper working order again.

**UPDATE: 6/25/11**
Yet another update was released on 6/21 which, it appears, COMPLETELY fixes the DVD skip problem. I watched some more DVD's and I haven't experienced it on ANY of them, so I guess that problem has been squared away. Since any of the problems I've experienced have now been fixed I'll stop doing these updates, especially since their making my review even longer than it is already! (Can I get an "Amen"?!)

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 9, 2011 6:45:53 AM PDT
I, too, have had trouble with the "Daybreakers" blu ray. It will only play on our PS3. That is the only blu ray I have ever had problems with, and we have over 100 titles.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2011 11:15:04 AM PDT
Hectic says:
I'm curious, did you try to play "Daybreakers" on the BD670 player, or did you have problems playing it on a different player? It may have more to do with the way the disc was manufactured than certain players having an inability to read it, but as I said my BD390 could play it no problem, so it's more likely it's a combination of the 2. I remember when "T2: Skynet Edition" came out on BR and read a multitude of reviewers complaining that their blu-ray players couldn't load the disc up or play it properly. Mine however loaded and played it just fine (the 390 at the time) and so does the 670. Even more recently when Iron Man 2 came out, the 390 would freeze up on the play every 15 minutes and you would either have to press for "next" or "previous track" to get it to continue play, but then you would have to rewind or fast-forward to get to where you left off. VERY ANNOYING. It took LG something like 3 weeks to release a firmware update that fixed the problem, but it wasn't entirely their fault. Paramount (or whatever company that produced the disc) didn't give enough of an advancement to the different BR player manufacturers for the new security they put on "IR2" so they couldn't test the disc on their players in sufficient time to see if any needed a fix to comply with the new copy protection. But at the same time...LG has been aware of the small DVD problem the 670 has had for at least a month now and has yet to release an update to fix that. I don't know if I was the first to make LG aware of "Daybreakers" inability to play on the BD670, but even if I was I hope they don't take forever to fix it.

Posted on Jul 4, 2011 7:51:33 AM PDT
Twinfan258 says:
Can you please tell what firmaware version you are now using? I updated my firmware to version ending in 296 E (June 23rd release I believe) and I still have the audio skipping problem with DVD's. Too bad, because I love everything else about this player, but we do watch dvd's frequently. Thanks for your great review.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 4, 2011 1:56:59 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 4, 2011 2:02:17 PM PDT
Hectic says:
The latest firmware that I have now is 321.E, so check again for a firmware update through the player and it should give you a new update.

Posted on Jul 10, 2011 5:04:21 PM PDT
Kay Vee Bee says:
Great review!!! I am thinking of buying this player and your review has definitely highlighted everything I may have had a concern about and then some. Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2011 7:57:33 PM PDT
Twinfan258 says:
Version 334 E was just released and for me that entirely fixed the problem. I suspect they are rolling out the firmware in a controlled fashion so as not to overload their servers. I never saw 321 E. No matter. What impresses me is that LG knows they have a problem and are working actively to fix it. Anyone looking for a player in this price range should put this on their short list. Every brand seems to have their quirks as they all rush to market with immature product. At least LG is fixing theirs. Just be sure to update the firmware. In contrast, I have a Samsung that's been out over a year and it still has quirks that remain unfixed. I recommend this LG player and would buy another when needed.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2011 10:11:35 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 11, 2011 10:12:21 AM PDT
@ Kay Vee Bee,

Yeah, it's (now) a pretty great player and I'm glad my review addressed all of your concerns. I tried to be as detailed as I could since most people's reviews on here are only a couple sentences, saying that they either like or hate the player for one specific reason and don't tell you anything else. The only thing I wish I could have commented on (but couldn't) was the 3-D aspect of the blu-ray playing. Unfortunately I don't have a 3D HDTV (yet), but really the look of the 3-D would depend more on the TV anyway.

@ Twinfan258,

Yeah, I updated to 334.E the day it came out. I use this player just about everyday, so odds are it'll notify me the day a new update comes out. I don't know exactly what the problem was with the DVD skip problem taking LG over a month to get fixed, but they finally did. Now they have been spitting out updates almost every week or so. It's good to know that LG works to get any problems squared away within a reasonable amount of time. As for Samsung...they make great TV's, but their players just plain suck. (And I say this from PERSONAL experience) Look at reviews for Samsung players and most have 3-stars or less. (To be fair, so do a number of LG's, but LG still has better overall ratings than Samsung!)

Posted on Nov 8, 2011 10:41:57 AM PST
Jackrbike says:
Thanks for keeping your review up to date and for taking the time to do it thoroughly in the first place. Anything new to say now that you've had it a while?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2011 11:17:33 AM PST
Hectic says:
Well, since you asked actually there is. It has to do with streaming Netflix. The problems I (and probably most others) have is when I stream something, the play will start without the A/V actually playing for the first 6 seconds. Not too big a deal, especially when there are usually opening credits to the beginning of most movie and TV shows, but on a few there aren't and you can miss that small bit of the beginning.

The other problem is that sometimes when I try to pause the stream to take a break or whatever, the player won't respond properly and the A/V stream will slow or pause for a moment, but then continue play without the audio. Then the player won't want to respond to any commands from the remote at all. The only way to stop and correct this is to reboot the player (i.e. hold down the power button for 3-5 seconds). This happens intermittently, but I do notice that it happens more often when I had already used the player to watch a disc or if I have a USB drive plugged into the front.

With the first problem this is how it has always been, but for the second this didn't show up until later; a couple months after I had last updated this review. It has gotten very annoying because of the hassle of having to shut-off, reconnect, etc. Has anyone else experienced this?

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 8:20:18 AM PDT
mike says:
Ok, so I see in your review, you haven't tried to stream from your PC, yet. Have you tried it since your review? Or do you know how it streams the files? Is it only through WMP, or is there an LG app for pcs? I currently have Samsung and I know those can stream through WMP and they have Samsung apps (Allshare/PC Share Manager) for PCs. I am thinking about getting an LG but this is something I would like to know first.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

2.9 out of 5 stars (1,005 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $59.99