3.0 out of 5 stars a vast improvement over DVD, however..., December 7, 2012
This review is from: Star Trek: The Next Generation: Season 2 [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Just purchased the set upon it's release, so it'll be months before I finish viewing the full-season (am in no hurry to view the tragic episode "Shades Of Gray" anyway). Nevertheless, even at this point, I'd have to add my voice to the chorus of reviewers indicating the inferiority of the quality of this release compared to season-one.

What is a bit unnerving is that as a TREKfan, I've followed months of interviews published with many of the individuals involved in the process of this season's BluRay-release (the Okuda's for instance). While they frequently indicated that season-two's work had been outsourced, their reassurance and praise for what they were promoting was unending. So either it's a lack of objectivity on their parts, that they cannot see what even the least-technical of viewers can easily report, or their desire to promote the sale of this product means they'll say anything.

Fortunately I do expect that season-three, now being prepped for release by the same CBS-Digital team that so outstandingly improved season-one, will be quite excellent. Maybe, by then, we'll hear some collective mea culpa from the powers-that-be over the inferior product which they've released here with season-two. With season-four also being outsourced, I already worry that it will be a disappointment unless there's an acknowledgement that it needs to be done better.

In all fairness, I intend to update my comments after I've seen more of the episodes. Thanks for taking a moment to consider my opinions.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 13, 2012 9:58:23 PM PST
Kevin M says:
Can you expand on what specifically is lacking in Season 2 Bluray? Is it the updated SFX? I'm just curious since I haven't seen it yet.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 3:19:02 PM PST
Only several episodes into the season. There's considerable inconsistency from shot to shot. Special-FX often not-so-special.

I'm particularly overwhelmed by those shots that are extremely grainy. At times it's quite unwatchable - takes the viewer more out of the story then endless technobabble can ever do. Lol.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 4:37:23 PM PST
Kevin M says:
Interesting. I know film grain is often very noticeable in BluRay remasters simply because of the higher resolutions and their decision not to run a DeGrain filter on it for the film "purists". Although the inconsistency you mention worries me a bit.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 1:17:28 AM PST
I am on disc 4 and have no idea what you are talking about. Which episodes?

I actually find this one better than season 1. Based mainly on the fact that the original filming in Season 1 was bad. Out of focus shots were especially bad in season 1. I also had the discs that needed to get replaced from season 1.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 1:54:30 PM PST
Thanks for taking the time to review my comments here. I also received replacement-discs for season one and, I suppose, that should have been a warning that there'd be problems completing this ambitious project.

Because you've nearly finished watching season two, perhaps the problem resolves itself quickly and I will soon forget about the odd quality inconsistencies which I, and many other reviewers, have detailed. Perhaps, when season three arrives from CBS-Digital, it will make season two's work look all the more inferior.

I'm just starting disc 3 and besides relatively unimpressive SFX, dull-appearing composite-shots (characters standing in front of viewscreens, for instance), it's the terribly grainy-shots that stand out to me. When I'm sitting there in amazement at quality of the blu-rays, these shots (in early episodes on the bridge, for instance) totally bring me out my TREK-fugue. Lol.

I was hoping these errors would be corrected and replacement-discs provided.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 7:17:56 PM PST
So I just finished watching all the episodes. All I can say is that if you hated how the visual effects looked don't bother watching "Shades of Grey". It's a crap episode anyways with just a collection of Riker moments from the first two seasons. However there is a scene from the episode "The Last Outpost" and it is just flat out horrible. Which makes no sense because they didnt use the footage that CBS had already corrected. Also the episode "Pen Pals" has a glaringly bad visual effect when Data is on the planet.
I actually like the grainier look than the super clean look of season 1. It seems just right. Looks less like a soap opera. When you think it looks to bad just watch an old version of TNG on Amazon or Netflix and realize how the Blu Ray is serious leaps and bounds over what we had. I can't even watch the episodes online anymore.

Posted on Jan 13, 2013 8:36:49 PM PST
Sandman says:
Hopefully, season four will fare better despite the outsourcing since CBS has dropped the studio they hired to do season two. Originally, they were to do all the even numbered seasons with CBS doing the odd numbered ones. I don't yet know they name of the studio chosen, but I do know they've hired a completely different studio for season four.

What puzzles me is why CBS hired these people in the first place when they don't have the greatest of track records on Blu-ray transfers, often going overboard with DNR. It would seem to me, based on their work, that either they're lazy or they have more than a few people who don't really know what they're doing. Perhaps a little of both.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2013 9:00:50 AM PDT
I think this new studio (HTV Illuminate) was hired because their visual effects supervisor is Dan Curry, one of the guys who did the original effects on the show. I mean, on paper that sounds ideal. Here's the man who supervised all these effects 25 years ago; he knows what he did back then, knows what he ideally wanted it to look like... but somewhere (apparently, severe time constraints, and a desire to make it look EXACTLY the same only sharper), something went wrong.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (455 customer reviews)

$129.99 $48.99