5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant picture and 3D, May 1, 2013
This review is from: Sony KDL-70R550A 70-Inch 120Hz 1080p 3D Internet LED HDTV (Black) (2013 Model) (Electronics)
I generally like Plasmas for their better picture quality (I already own 5 HD TVs and this is the 6th one). The only reason I decided to go with LED TV was there's no 70" Plasma in the Market. And my 60" looks too small in my great room - possibly because of high ceilings. After researching Sharp's 70" TV I decided to wait for Panasonic to come up with a 70" Plasma, but then Sony came out with this. It was decently priced, had 3D, there were no reviews. But I decided to take a chance - given Sony's reputation. I must say I am not disappointed!

The GOOD:

Overall Picture Quality:
Overall picture quality is good. I would say it is awesome given that it is not a Plasma yet Sony was able to produce brilliant blacks.

720p Quality:
Picture was not pixelated with 720p output from my Verizon box. I was able to see bigger picture without any quality degradation due to bigger size. It was really surprising. The picture was at least as good as on my 60" Plasma on 720p.

1080p Quality:
I put in Avatar bluray movie and played it. I turned off all the lights to see how darks appear. Even with factory settings the result was amazing. After looking at the picture quality of this TV I can no longer argue with my friends that Plasma is superior than LED.

3D:
This TV uses passive 3D!!! And this was a pleasant surprise. I like passive 3D better than active 3D for two reasons.
1. In passive 3D TV produces two images at a time, while each lens in your polarized 3D glasses can see only one image which feeds different images to both eyes - resulting in 3D image in your brain. I like it because instead of glasses completely blinding your each eye one after the other some 240 times a second (active 3D), your both eyes just see different images - which I have found to put less stress on your eyes and brain.

2. Passive 3D glasses are cheap - these are the same one used in theaters. You can order around a dozen for less than 25 bucks. And they don't need to be recharged and they are light in weight. Compare that to an active 3D glass where each cost a minimum of 50 bucks and you have to recharge them and they are not as lightweight as passive.

3D Quality:
Again, I restarted Avatar in 3D mode and the result was just WOW!!! My three year old daughter when walked across the TV I almost screamed that she is going to bump in the guy - but wait - the guy was in the movie. I am not kidding it happened a few times - that is when I noticed that 3D is just amazing - and it does have a pop-out effect usually experienced only in theaters. May be the screen size helped in producing life sized images.

Now the BAD:

Menu's are not intuitive and has a slow response time. But I wouldn't have given it 4 stars just for this reason. The reason I gave it four stars is that when changing resolution (i.e. when PlayStation goes from playing bluray video to home screen and back) the screen goes blank and TV stops responding to commands. I could still hear the sound but no picture. I have to turn it off and back on and I start to see the picture. This is most likely a manufacturing defect. I still have to contact Sony about it (as I just got TV last night). Will update the review when I have this resolved.

Tip:

I had my PlayStation connected with an old HDMI cable which worked fine with my old TV. When I connected PlayStation to the new TV with the same cable I was able to see the menus and stuff. However when I try to play a 3D movie the picture would go blank and I would hear sound after long pauses. I remembered reading somewhere that 3D requires newer faster HDMI cables. I had some newer HDMI cables in my stash. So when I changed it everything started working. So if you are unable to play 3D movies try a newer (I think ver 1.4 is required but I am not sure - just google it) HDMI cable.

EDIT 5/7/2013:

My issue above was resolved by a call to tech support. I had to unplug both TV and Playstation while they were "on". Then disconnect the HDMI cable, wait for one minute and then plug TV and Playstation back in. Connect the HDMI cable. This resolved the issue above - so I updated my rating to 5 star!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 7 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 39 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 2, 2013 5:47:59 AM PDT
Hi, if your problem is solved with the new HDMI cable then you can give the rating as 5 start correct?
Also, I have ordered one and expecting it today. Can you please let me know how the SD quality (like from online streaming) looks? Is it properly up-scaled with good quality picture?
Secondly, my previous Sony LCD TV was poor in display brightness (even after all adjustments), how does this TV look to you?

Thanks in Advance.

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2013 8:30:15 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 2, 2013 8:33:04 AM PDT
HDMI was not the reason I took a star off. It is because when using PlayStation to Play bluray movie, TV hangs - screen blanks out while I can still hear the sounds - when going back and forth between PlayStation home menu and movie playback. TV doesn't respond to remote commands such as menu or input change. This appears to be manufacturing defect. I need to contact Sony support and have it resolved. I will update my rating based on my experience with tech support. If I had not had this issue I would have given it 5 star rating.

The only SD I have is from cable box and (not streaming) and the result is excellent. It is upscaled and looks good. Enjoy your new TV!

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2013 12:32:08 PM PDT
CRU says:
Thanks for the review. I received this TV last week and I'm having the exact same issue when trying to play 3D blurays on my PS3. Did switching out your HDMI cable work? I was planning on calling Sony tomorrow. Another issue I'm having is the Netflix app on the tv will turn on for no reason. I've had it happen to me 3 times already.

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2013 1:10:35 PM PDT
Yes, after changing the HDMI cable my issue was fixed. The HDMI cable I used was sold as HDMI+Ethernet cable. As per hdmi.org any HDMI cable that is labelled "High Speed" should support 3D. See http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_1_4/3d.aspx for more details.

I have only used it for couple of hours (its been only two days when I got it) and haven't had any issue other than the one described in my review. I didn't even get time to contact Sony about it.

Posted on May 2, 2013 3:49:11 PM PDT
Anthony5362 says:
I'm shocked at how cheap this massive 70" TV is. I paid $1k more for my 65" Samsung ES8000 last year, that's plagued with bad vertical banding and now has a vertical line of green pixels and needs a repair. I'm really considering buying this one though since I refuse to buy another Samsung. Thanks for the review

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2013 5:48:58 PM PDT
Jim Savoy says:
1.4 hdmi has been recommended for 3D since 3D became a player. I would imagine another change in hdmi tech is on the horizon. I bought my first in June of 2010. It's nice when a fix is that easy.

Posted on May 3, 2013 10:38:08 AM PDT
AladdinSane says:

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2013 6:27:23 PM PDT
CRU says:
I updated my HDMI cord to 1.4 but I'm still having the same issue. Looks like I'll be calling Sony.

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2013 7:33:04 PM PDT
Anthony5362 says:
@AladdinSane,

Hey, I wouldn't worry about this TV not having a dual core processor. My Samsung's have a dual Core and last march when I bought my first one, I thought it was going to be faster then my 2011 D8000 Samsung that doesn't have a dual core, and I was extremely disappointed, and now, I don't even use my TVs Internet.

As a matter of fact, I have them all disconnected from the net since Samsung likes to push FW and hub updates all on their own, and I've had settings wiped out before, so I don't trust their updates.

Then I tried the F8000 with the quad core, and I couldn't believe how slow the web browser was, and only found it to be a little bit faster then the TVs with the dual core, so I wouldn't even worry at all that this TV doesnt have a dual core. My Apple and Google TVs run faster, then my Samsung's smart hub, so I just use those to stream. You could always buy one of the new blu ray players that have a dual core of that's what you really want, but IMO, I think you will be disappointed with those too.

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2013 6:30:58 AM PDT
Hi, thank you for the response. I got my TV and all set it up. But I do see slight screen uniformity issue at left bottom and top corner. Exactly at these corners, pics are bit dull / dark (I don't think this is bleeding, it is other way around). Though this effect is very minimal but it is their if you observe. The problem is, since now I observed it and every time my eye is going there instead of the TV program! Just want to know, do you see any such issue on your set? Thanks for response so far.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›