5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent. The best cook book I've ever seen., May 7, 2012
This review is from: A Girl and Her Pig: Recipes and Stories (Hardcover)
First of all if you are from PETA or are overly concerned with applying the rights of man to animals this is not the book for you. There is no need to vote the book down because you find the cover "disgusting". Looks delicious to me. Carnivores (omnivores really) don't rate vegan cookbooks one star for being sissy. Mind your business.

That said April Bloomfield is an amazing chef. I have not had the honor to eat her food directly but I've dined at her NYC establishments and was throughly impressed. When I saw this book in the book store I knew I had to have it.

My impulse buy did not disappoint. While the recipes are somewhat intimidating I now feel inspired to cook. My girlfriend has read it and she feels the same way. We're going to try to tackle the recipes one weekend at a time.

We started easy and the grilled cheese came out great. This is a great book with a quality feel and a fascinating approach to food. Go buy it. If your a vegetarian divert your eyes this isn't for you.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 13, 2012 3:20:01 PM PDT
Jay says:
Re: your your rant about people finding the cover of April Bloomfield's book disgusting. I eat meat, I feed my family meat, & I found the cover disgusting as well. I found it disgusting that the pig on the cover was not slaughter for food, it was slaughter for Ms Bloomfield's egotistical cover photo.

I am very careful to buy only organic beef & pork. I also know my source of beef & pork treat their animals with respect & kindness before slaughter. On the oposite. A quick tour of any local beef or pork farm, pork farms especially, will show you how disrespectful & downright cruel cows & pigs are treated before slaughter.

Ms Bloomfields use of a slaughtered pig for a neck scarf, puts her on the same level as the inhumane meat handler who work the local slaughter houses.

Sorry to burst your bubble N Molina, but Ms Bloomfield is not an amazing chef. An amazing chef has more brains. An amazing chef would never choose to use a slaughtered pig as a shoulder ornament, as an amazing chef will know, the act of doing so, will eventually pull them down.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 12, 2012 3:58:05 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 12, 2012 4:01:15 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 12, 2012 4:03:33 PM PDT
N. Molina says:
I'm very sorry you have a hard time grasping that pork chops come from a pig (maybe one named Babe). We humans eat other animals, shocking isn't it? Guess what organic pigs are killed just like non-organic pigs regardless of how much "respect" they receive. Who knows, her "pig scarf" maybe organic (she uses only the best ingredients).

Posted on Aug 27, 2012 8:35:54 PM PDT
I don't care how you defend it - I hate the cover!! I eat meat but don't care to look at the dead animal. I love people but don't want to look at pictures of them in their coffin. Give me a break, Molina, the cover does NOT look delicious!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.8 out of 5 stars (99 customer reviews)

$32.50 $21.34