3.0 out of 5 stars Does little more than fix the mistakes of Far Cry 2, December 7, 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Far Cry 3 - PC (DVD-ROM)
Some of my complaints about Far Cry 2, which came out four years ago, in Fall 2008, which have not been fixed include the lack of prone and lean, which is now a staple of games ported from or dedicated to console versions, and we may never see the likes of Crysis again where we could do both. Since Crysis we've also lost our destructible environment almost completely, from being able to destroy some buildings in Crysis, to Far Cry 2's ability to merely shoot down small trees, to Far Cry 3's occasional mission specific "knock down this support beam", a few objects that will tip over or disintegrate from a shotgun blast, along with blowing up cars and occasional stone doors, and like before, land, trees and buildings gloriously burned with fire revert to normal soon after.

And like Far Cry 2, everything of value flickers, from loot boxes to dead loot-able bodies to the myriad plants we can harvest to make our performance enhancing drugs, and it can't be shut off. The enemies are even easier to spot; now instead of all wearing white t-shirts we can now mark them with our cameras or scopes and see them on our maps and through walls, hills, and foliage. And if you fail to see the flashing items, everything appears on your HUD map so you miss nothing and have no need ever to really "search" for anything, making it a tedious exercise rather than a minor challenge, and leaves us running through these beautifully rendered 3D worlds, picking up loot, and then quickly leaving. At least the snakes and komodo dragons don't scintillate, they just make a ridiculous amount of noise.

Some complaints that have been addressed in Far Cry 3, though they could have been addressed in Far Cry 2 patches years ago, include the popular idea to combine safe houses and enemy bases, giving us a faction that is always on our side and will come in and guard whatever base we liberate from enemy hands, adding dangerous wild animals, and adding villagers to the world.

Some things that have degraded beside what I mentioned earlier include the interface. Instead of one's character actually pulling up and holding a GPS, with map and compass, we have the unrealistic, always-on HUD, and similar to how Bethesda dropped the ball with Skyrim on this same issue, going from the brilliant PipBoy in Fallout 3 to just an ungainly menu in Skyrim instead of... I don't know, a magic book your character opens, Far Cry 3 is just a menu. Skills, crafting, etc. all on one menu, a menu that isn't even designed for PC, and this leads me to offer the best hint I've discovered in Far Cry 3: Forget about using the mouse in the menu, concentrate on scrolling though it with the keyboard, Tab, Enter, Esc, and the arrow keys.

Some petty complaints include the inability to holster my weapon, no way to look at my character and his customized weaponry, not that I could customize him at all, the main mission instructions constantly and regularly popping up regardless of what else I'm doing, no screencap key, no console, no idea why I keep switching from grenades to Molotov cocktails, and no way to turn off mission pointers. This was such a problem in Fallout: New Vegas I downloaded a series of mods (one for the main game and one for each DLC) that removed mission pointers, mods that went so far as to add dialogue to mission instructions allowing players to find what they were looking for through actual searching. Who'd have thought!?!?

And that's my main complaint, in Far Cry 3, I'm never, ever searching, I'm just traveling from point to point, following the markers, even on a hunt, even without the drug that lets me see animals through mountains. Then all that's left in this game that provides any challenge is stealth and brute fighting strategy. And that I think will be its only replay value, as the story so far seems to be a railroad, with absolutely no choices affecting the outcome.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]